Moving Iris

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I just had to move several Iris this afternoon. We have had a lot of rain in the last week or so, and evidently my neighbor's sump pump has been working overtime. I know he has a pit dug near the property line that it drains into, but this afternoon, I noticed that my beds along that line are all filled with standing water. I had been thinking about moving my Iris along his fenceline, so thought, with the amount of water, I should do it now. I took a large clump of mud with each one, and the holes immediately filled up with water, so I think it's a good thing I took them out. Didn't have anywhere special planned for them, yet, so I just dug up a big circle of grass in the side yard, and replanted them. I was thinking now, with them as waterlogged as they were, should I have let them dry out a bit first? The dirt in the area that I planted them now was dry.

Some of these were Iris I planted early this year, some where from last year, but didn't bloom this year. The rhizomes (sp?) still felt firm, so I'm hoping they'll be OK. Some of the leaves are a bit droopy, should I cut them back at all, or just leave them alone, and hope the plants will have enough time to get their roots set before the cold weather hits.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Deb

South Hamilton, MA

You could add a bit of sand to the soil. You may trim the leaves, but not trim all the way back. glad that you were able to rescue. If you like place a rock or a brick on top of the rhizome to stop reaction and heaving.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks. I will do that. I think I will trim at least some of the droopy leaves back. That should help them stay a bit more upright.

Deb

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I think I would let them dry out more, especially with the rains coming in for this weekend and Ike on Monday, or make some sort of tent over them. Way too much rain this season. I have been checking daily for signs of rot and so far 20 have done so, half I have been able to save, but keep an eye out for it since they were sitting in water, check the backs of them for signs of water smudges and/or water streaks on inner new fan growth, that's where I have been finding it. Rot is strange and you have to catch it before it's too late. If you do find it, dig it up immediately, cut off the rotting part with a good knife and soak them in a clorox solution for 15-30 minutes, rinse and set them in the sun to heal, if no sun keep them in a dry place for a few days to heal. Then replant. Rain Rain, here we go again !!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.