Native Plant Seed Swap

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

READY, SET, GO!

Here’s the info:

Participation is limited to 10 people to make the seed gathering more manageable for everyone. Seeds should all be native to North America. U.S. participants only, please.

Seeds should be sent to me no later than November 30. I’ll have them back out in the mail to you by December 15th.

YOU SEND
1. Seeds for 10 people. Individual packets labeled with the latin and common names would be ideal. But if that presents a hardship dmail me – I can work with you.

2. A pre-addressed return label.

No need to send postage. There’s no limit on the number of different seeds you send. Just make certain that you send 10 packets of each species. You’ll receive back a packet of each of the seeds I get – except for the ones you sent in.

My address is in the exchange.

When you post to be added to this swap, please include the type of seeds you’re sending so we don’t get too many repeats.

That's it! Dmail me if you have any questions. Thanks!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2008 1:55 PM

PARTICIPANTS
1. claypa 03080070000177237641
2. dvhsr62 03080007000177237771
3. Kathleen 03080070000177237719
5. Critterologist 03080070000177237764
6. Kaitlin 03080070000177237740
7. bigred 03080070000177237788
8. ErinSaTx 03080070000177237726
9. Gemini-sage 03080070000177237757

This message was edited Sep 10, 2008 4:51 PM

This message was edited Sep 11, 2008 7:26 AM

This message was edited Sep 11, 2008 4:33 PM

This message was edited Sep 26, 2008 7:49 AM

This message was edited Sep 27, 2008 8:17 AM

This message was edited Oct 3, 2008 10:45 AM

This message was edited Oct 9, 2008 9:10 AM

This message was edited Oct 23, 2008 1:04 PM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 8:40 AM

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 7:14 AM

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008 1:08 PM

This message was edited Dec 2, 2008 6:54 AM

This message was edited Dec 9, 2008 5:15 PM

Franklin, NJ

Put me on the list...please!
I can send Wild Senna and Blue Vervain and possibly Great Blue Lobelia.I'll also TRY to send some Fringed Gentian.
Thanks for putting this together!!!
Dave

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

me, too, please.

I'll have vervain (purple) and turtle head, possibly some native asters, if they are ready by then.

chat, could you send me a dmail with your address, I'm no longer on the address exchange. Thanks.

Franklin, NJ

Whew!! I just realized that this was for native plants.I was thinking wild flowers.I just checked and all the ones I listed are natives.Gotta love the USDA site!!

Gotcha both. Sounds like some great plants in the works already!

Katheen, you have dmail.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

: ) thanks. I may have some other varieties - have to see what's ready. I'll let you know

the possibility of fringed gentian has me excited! Just found a huge closed gentian that I had to move out of a fence line. No seeds this year, cut it back for survival sake, but maybe next year.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Include me ^_^ I will send: Delphinium newtonianum-Moore's Delphinium (an Ozark endemic species), Silene stellata-Starry campion and Eupatorium purpureum- Sweet scented Joe Pye Weed

Edited to add a GREAT book on native species "Botanica North America" by Marjorie Harris, not all inclusive, but has pics and interesting lore-- I think I paid $10 used on Amazon for mine (it weighs probably 10 lbs)

This message was edited Sep 11, 2008 11:15 AM

Almost half way there!

I'm going to have thimble weed, harebell, purple prairie clover, at least. I also have tons of grasses if anyone wants me to throw those in - switchgrass, big bluestem, little bluestem, indian grass, prairie brome, maybe some northern sea oats if they're ready. I also might have vanilla grass. My dogs are addicted to it, so I should check to see if I have enough seeds LOL!

And thanks Gran - I ordered that book from Amazon marketplace. Had to pay a little more, but it looked like a must for my library!

Franklin, NJ

The Fringed Gentian is a very late bloomer,so I probably won't be able to send the seed by Oct 10.If you would like some you could send two address labels and Chatnoir could send them along with my seed and I will send them to you when the seed is ready.

This pic was taken 9/29/07

Thumbnail by dvhsr62
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I may take you up on that.

Just realized that my purple and your blue vervain are the same animal. I'll find something to replace mine.

Franklin, NJ

If you'd like I could send some Lobeia Spicata seeds instead of the Vervain.If anyone has a Fairy garden or mini garden this would be perfect.It has become a fav of mine.It grows in full sun to full shade.It is a little larger in full sun but it is well worth putting in the shade.They flower for a long time.Very nice and pretty well manored little plant.

Thumbnail by dvhsr62
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

dv, that sounds wonderful. I'll stick with the vervain, then..

We can push back the date if that's easier??? I just picked one to get this going.

Not certain where the other interested people went, but we still have lots of time.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I f we push the date back-- I may be able to get wild hydrangea & azalea--no promises tho

OK. I'm sold. Let's just let this hang out for awhile then. I'll change the date above to like November 30th but that can be fluid. Thanks!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm in! This sounds like fun. I'll have Yellow Ox-eye (Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra) for sure, and I'm working on some others. I should be able to retrieve some Penstemon smallii seeds yet, likewise Agastache foeniculum (hybrid Honey Bee Blue/White. I appreciate everybody's patience as I try to sort out my natives from those that aren't! :-) I'm trying to increase the number of natives in my yard with an eye to making it more wildlife friendly, so this swap will be good for that. :-)

Should I edit this post as I go along and know for certain what I have to send?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm working on virgin's bower, Clematis virginiana and meadowsweeet, Spirea latifloia to go along with those I have listed above.

I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to gather seeds. I haven't for a few years for a couple of reasons. This is a nice way to make a come back.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I'd like to join in. I can contribute Penstemon strictus, Penstemon eatonii, Rudbeckia fulgida, Gailardia, Clematis ligusticifolia, Asclepias fascicularis, maybe a few others. Is anyone interested in shrubs?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I am! I have some native shrub seeds, viburnums and sweetbay, I'd have to check and see what all I have so far.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh! Is Gaillardia a native too? I have to get better at this, LOL. I have a burgundy one that seems to come true from seed (I grew mine from seed)... it's very pretty, even if it's not the original species. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31615/

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I want to get on board too but I'll have to check to see what all I have to offer.

P

Excellent! I've added the newest swappers to the list. Bigred, I'm certain you'll find something!

This is the first year I've made such an effort to collect seeds. And of course I have way more than I need. So I thought it would be fun to share - I'm very happy that you all are interested. This should be fun. An easy way to try some new things!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,I know I have fresh redring milkweed,a couple of joe pyes,mex.hat and others.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

I am getting excited seeing what everyone has!!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Could you change my name to "bigred"? BigRed was a gentleman that passed away recently and this might confuse some folks.

Here's a quick list. It's getting light and I need to get out to the garden soon. I'll post all info later and when I've had a better chance to get thur all my seeds.

Clasping coneflower
mexican hat
Ragged robin(is this one of our natives or European?)
asclepias viridis
solidago"Fireworks
habenaria repens "Water spider orchid"
winecups
anropogon gerardii
lobelia cardinalis
lobelia inflata
lobelia siphilitica
possumhaw holly
snowberry
Arkansas veronica
White fruiting beautyberry
Ludwigia alternifola"seed box"some consider it a weed but if you do florals,the seed pods are great
penstemon hirtus var. pygmaeus
mugwort
rudbeckia maxima
baptisia alba
scaly pink liatris(I'm not sure I correctly id species...will post pix)
liatris ligulistylis
eupatorium purpurea
E. maculatum

I didn't go thur my seed frig real good. I may be able to find more. I know I should have some redring milkweed but I haven't found them yet. You know you have too many seeds when you have a seed refrigerator instead of a seed box....LOL

Peggy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

here pix of scaly pink liatris...this is my id of species...it could be wrong. Pros: blooms now ...butterfly nector plant. Cons: shallow rooted so it flops...needs staking.

I don't think I have enough of all seeds for 10 pkgs.of each so all may not make it to the swap.

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Close up

Thumbnail by bigred
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow Peggy, that's a great list!

I'll have giant sunflower, various native asters, and steeple bush (Spirea tomentosa) to add and Jack-in-pulpit, but possibly only one per package of the Jack.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Kathleen, I have jack in the pulpit seed, (about as many as you have) so won't need any. Anybody want puttyroot orchid (Aplectrum hymale) seed? I contribute to NARGS, and only have a small amount-so need to figure where to send it ^_^

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Me-Me-Me! I have Spring Ladies Tresses(spirathes virnalis...don't hold me to the spelling) I can trade. I lsot all my puddyroot to drought last year.

Franklin, NJ

bigred...That is an impressive list!
I would especially be interested in the lobelia cardinalis.I have only seen a few natives here and only where I can't gather plant nor seed.
I also looked up the ragged robin and it is an introduced species.I personally,don't mind opening the borders to species from elsewhere as long as they aren't intrusive...nod nod wink wink.
This swap is really going to boost the native garden that I started this year!!
Thanks again for starting this chatnoir!!!
Dave

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Dave,
I thought I read it was European

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

If I don't have enough seeds of one kind for ten packages,can I just go ahead and send the surplus and you can just divvy them up to whoever wants them? I have entirely too many seeds and they need to go to good homes.I do have some seeds in quanity to do 10 pkgs.

Peggy

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

How many seeds does everyone usually put in the packets? I don't want to seem stingy but a lot of the native seeds I have are very small so 50 or 100 doesn't look like much in the baggie. I also have a small yard with one or two of each kind of plant so I tend to think "why would anyone want more than a few of these plants?"

Thoughts?

Peggy, that sounds good. I like to try new things and even just a seed or two is great for me~ As to how many, I would say maybe 20 or so. Unless they're tiny, then I use a measured amount.

The fun is going to be opening the envy and seeing all the new plants to try!

San Antonio, TX

Is there still an opening for the swap? I would love to join, I have a lot of mexican hat seed to share. I wish I had a variety to offer, but it's my first year at my new house.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

suppose to rain majority of next week so I hope to get mine ready to go while I'm stuck in the house

Peggy

Gotcha added to the list Erin! Thanks!

Everyone, feel free to send me seeds whenever you're ready. If they all come in before Nov 1 I'll send them back out early. Just don't want any pressure on anyone :) I'll put a blast dmail together in about a week to remind everyone in the group about dates and to give you my address if you need it.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm not feeling rushed but I do have a garden swap party and house warmimg party to do in Oct. then the holidays will be upon us and I don't want to wait until I'm so busy I forget.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.