Your perfect vegetable growing starter package?

Danville, IL(Zone 5b)

If you were to put together a package for growers to get started growing organic vegetables in their garden, what kinds of things would you include or look for in that package. Obviously there would be seeds, containers, soil, organic fertilizer, etc. But which seeds, which pots, what is the best soil and fertilizer for this project. Is there any special equipment you would prefer, like prop mats,hot houses, or grow lights. What types of things will ensure a high success rate for beginners, and what types of things can be included for people who are more advanced in their growing experience? Would hydroponics ever be something to try in this application? Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry no one has answered your question. It has so many variables that an answer is a little daunting. Which vegetables to grow is a very personal choice. I grow some vegetables, okra, eggplant, and tomatoes for example, that others don't like. Other people love to grow lots of different kinds of leaf lettuce, and carrots, onions, and radishes, which I don't grow.

You would need to determine if these gardeners are going to be growing in containers, in raised beds, or directly in the natural soil. You also need to know how much area they have available for the project. Some veggies take very little space, others require a lot of space. Also, vegetables are divided into cool weather crops and warm weather crops, which require completely different planting schedules.

Karen

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

if we go with what I'm planting for fall crop....COMPOST...homemade the best but if you have a recycling compost facility that's second best. I direct sew in the fall but I get spring crop started early in peat pots.My favorite tool is my long handled cultivater(sp?).
Fall seeds for beginners:
turnips
mustard
kale
carrots
radish
cabbages
collards
brussel sprouts
cauliflower
lettuce
onion starts

for my spring/summer garden,
feb. on heat mat,in plug trays:
tomatoes
peppers
eggplants

Mid-March,in unheated greenhouse,in peat pots and 6 pks:
squash
cuke
kale
cabbage

at this time I also set out onions and direct sew more of the fall crops that are starting to get depleted.

about the same time ,I start potting up the vegs. started on heat mats to hold in GH until mid April planting.

Late March-early April,I start in GH
okra
pumpkins
melons

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.