Tomatos recovering for fall harvest

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Late in June or early in July my tomatoes were done -- too hot! Instead of pulling them up I cut them back just in case they'd come back for the fall. I don't know how well they'll do, but here is a nice one coming along, and there are at least three others! Has anyone had luck letting them come back like this? I ate tomato sandwiches every day in May and June -- what do y'all think about a fall harvest on an old vine? (I do have new plants coming up from seed in a neighboring bed.)

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm trying the same thing. Mine were pitiful and I did pull out some of them at the end of July. The few I left got a good trimming and are now setting a few new fruits. I'm hopeful but having increased problems with hornworms and leaf footed bugs. It's as though the bugs know their days are numbered and they're determined to make them count.

I'm following feldon's advice next year....start seeds for fall toms around the 4th of July. I think that will get much better results.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Now, when you do that, do you mean sow the seeds in the ground around July 4? Or in peat pots (or whatever) in the house?

I nabbed a hornworm the other day. Luckily he had only gotten leaves and some blossoms and no fruit. I may build a tiny temple of doom for those guys -- right where the birds can get them. I'll admit they're kind of cute, but they're not THAT cute!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I understood that he starts them from seed, probably in pots. Some people root suckers from the old plants and they do root easily. I'm sure the suckers would work for indeterminate plants but it seems the ones from determinates might want to give out. I need to find out about that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.