Shrub ID help needed

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I have lost the name tag for this shrub. the berries have just "popped" oped and are so wonderfully beautiful and unusual. I seem to remember getting something that was named something like "hearts a busting" (???) The leaves are sparse so the berries stand out like beacons!
I have some other pics of the berries...close ups...if needed
I got this plant from the same place the Sparkleberry "couple" came from.
Thanks, for sure for any help in ID as I am trying to make permanent type name labels for everything.
ALSO.....are these red berries the seeds that if dried could be planted??

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Yep - Euonymus americanus L. - bursting-heart, or hearts-bustin'-with-love strawberry bush.

Source:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=EUAM9

Listed as endangered in New York and Illinois.

Cool plant!

Marlton, NJ

That's a very cool looking plant Birdie! Do you see birds eating the fruit?

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Stelco ,

I see in plant guides that this plant is rated for my zone , It seems to require soils on the acidic side which would mean amending here . I see some favorable comments on it being grown in texas . Said to be a xeriscape plant . But I somehow doubt that it would survive in my extreme in SW desert even in shade .

Any feedback or comment ?

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

It seems to like shade and water. Probably would be difficult to grow in Arizona. You wouldn't want the kids next door getting at it, either!

"TOXIC WARNING: the seeds of this plant are a strong laxative, and the fruits are toxic, causing coma if consumed in sufficient quantities."

Maricopa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hmmm, another addition of toxic plant to intice kids with . I already have several of Erythrina to tempt them with . One strain I have below ;

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63923/

Not really a problem where I live , I am very isolated in the boonies . Very few intruders , just the way I like it . Unfortunately in 5 to 10 years the D_____ developers will probably catch up with me . By the time that happens I will have the property fenced . ( Maybe with concertina wire ? )

The birds must eat the berries, cause each year they are gone practically as soon as I see them. Some of The pics I took show the progress of the berry "blooming" process. They do seem to truly just suddenly burst open one day.I have wondered about pruning to make the bush fuller, but I'm too "scaredy cat" to cut off anything. If there's any pruning expert out there, I would welcome any lessons.
I will watch for any baby plants around the base. Would they come from one of the berries (seeds?), or from a sucker volunteer??
I haven't done a darn thing but plant this poor neglected thing in the middle of my shady naturalized front yard. It is under (actually between) 2 Oaks (regular and pin).
Oh and BTW - what is a xeriscape plant anyway??
---here's a pic of berries before opening. they're sort of fuzzy looking

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

a berry close up for ya! See the round pod that "Pops" open to reveal the surprise inside its "heart"!!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

Stelco - thanks for that totally cool link (I wish I knew how you make those) , I learned a lot and will be using that site a lot from now on. When I first planted my yard, my goal was wildlife habitat 9 I just got my certificate and sign!)...anyway, your link provided this info on my "hearts-a bustin" Euonymus americanus L, Wildlife Habitat Values...which I really appreciate knowing and feel very fortunate to have one! I hope I can get babies. Does anybody know if a branch might root if I anchored it to the ground and covered a section with soil??

Description of Values

Value Class Food Cover
High Average 25-50% of diet Regular source of cover
Moderate Average 10-25% of diet Occasional source of cover
Low 5-10% of diet Infrequently used as cover
Minor 2-5% of diet Sparsely used as cover

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Xeriscaping:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping

BB - It's easy to create a link. Just paste the link in and DG turns it into the hyperlink that you see. Good to know that you will be able to use that link in the future, too. To see if it will root easily just cut a fresh, flexible piece (not woody) and stick it in some water. Looks like it should root in water:

"Reproduction
Duration: Perennial • Coppice Potential: No • Progagated by Bulbs: No • Propagated by Bare Root: Yes • Propagated by Container: Yes • Propagated by Corms: No • Propagated by Cuttings: Yes • Propagated by Seed: Yes • Propagated by Sod: No • Propagated by Sprigs: No • Propagated by Tubers: No • Fruit/Seed Period Begin: Summer • Fruit/Seed Period End: Fall • Fruit/Seed Persistence: Yes"

Source:
http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/E/Euonymus_americana/

The seeds need to be exposed to cold for at least three months to propagate (from what I can gather). Try to get some berries just before they fall, or when they fall and let them dry out. Stick the seeds in the freezer until spring and plant in small containers.

Good luck!

I don't quite understand about "paste the link", where do in get the link and where do I paste it - gee, I feel so "dumb", but really have difficulty understanding computereeze.
For sure I will be collecting any berries that fall and are not chewed for freezing!
And I will try the water rooting.
Now, any pruning tips for fuller growth? My shrub has about 3 or 4 spindly branches. granted they may be tall , but they are not full and branching out like other shrubs. The pics from the sites submitted here all look much thicker than mine. One pic looked like an entire colony , almost of little shrub babies.....that must've been the view.

Marlton, NJ

He means "Paste" of Copy and Paste.

When you right hand click on an address it brings up a menu which includes

Paste and or Copy.

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

Birdie Blue, I have these shrubs and mine are all quite lanky, too. I think it is somewhat their natural tendency to be that way and somewhat because they are growing in shade. If you do prune, I'd like to hear how it turns out next year. I have one that I am cutting back because of some kind of fungus or mildew. I'll be watching it, too, to see if it comes back fuller.

ROFL....Pelly - I know what it means to copy and paste I just don't know ---what to copy--- and, where do i get the info.......

OK, I did not know about the rt hand click on an address bringing up "copy paste"........so if I wanted to make a hyperlink, like when someone continues a thread to another "page" because it is getting too long------that is what I am trying to get someone to explain to me.
What do you copy? and simply pasting a site address doesn't create a hyperlink, or does it??
Perhaps I am just doomed to remain computer illiterate, but I sure have come a long way recently

Marlton, NJ

Ok when your in the thread you want to copy, you go up to the address bar (which has the address of that thread) and right hand click. That brings up the menu and also highlights the address.

Chose "Copy"

Go to the post where you want the hyperlink to go and right hand click again

Chose "Paste" This will put the hyperlink in place.

Theres several ways to do it and this is the way I do it. :-)

Oh...THank You Pelle....I have been wanting someone to explain it very simply.....I think I can, I think I can.....now to try it!!
Sheri

http://forsythhumane.org/listman/listings/l0029.html I know this is off topic...but I just needed to try it
Sheri

WOW!! Thankyou Pelle, Thankyou!!

Marlton, NJ

Your welcome. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.