Canna ID

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Can anyone name this canna? It only gets about 2.5 ft without the bloom.

Thumbnail by budgielover
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Looks to be c. 'Pretoria' aka 'Bengal Tiger'.

I though so too but everything I read says 4-8 ft tall. This is a mature clump that never gets over 2.5 ft. I have other canna in the same bed that get 6 ft.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Mine never gets tall either and doesn't spread too fast. I am really enjoying this canna. I trim my cannas in late summer so that they're looking good in Oct-Nov. The Bengal Tiger is the one that needs the least trimming.

Thanks. Good to know the height can vary from the info in the files. This is one of the most low maintenance ones I have.

Crestview, FL

Budgielover: It sure is pretty, just got a Bengal Tiger in the ground and it's doing fine; but no bloom yet.
joy112854

Thanks Joy,
I really love the variegation. Adds alot of life to the plant bed.

Crestview, FL

Buglelover: Yes, the cannas are fun to watch bloom, I'm getting side shoots now from the 42 I just planted a month ago and they look nice, they were huge stalks to begin with and now with fall on it's way, I just know this Spring will be beautiful when they all start popping up. I'm going to have to divide a bunch this next Spring though I'm afraid, as they are getting bushy.
j0y112854

My clump is getting large enough to divide now as I want to put some in other beds to add some interest.

Crestview, FL

Budgielover: I want to wait until they come up in the Spring, as I plan on dividing them and also transplanting some to other areas. When they come up in the Spring I can then see what colors they are so I can mix them up where there will be a variety of colors in each bed.
joy112854

I don't have these close enough to any other to doubt which they are, especially if you move them when they still have their foliage.

Crestview, FL

At last count, I had 80 canna lily plants in beds all round the house and deck, total of two double beds in fronts of each of the house (right and left) and then long beds on each side of the house, then beds on both sides of the deck, beds on both front sides of the deck and then beds on both sides of the ramp leading up to the deck (that is where I plant my dwarfs so they look taller as you go up the ramp). I wanted a variety of colors in the blooms and the leafs.
joy112854

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.