Sevin

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I have cabbage worms eating my ENTIRE garden: brugs, roses, nasturtiums, cannas, you name it. They seem to totally ignore Bt or Neem. I read Sevin might be a good solution, but I am concerned with wildlife in the garden.
Is Sevin safe enough to be worth it? I really am getting out of control with these worms. Help!
Thanks!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ceejay will know if Bt works on cabbage worms but Bt only works on cats, i do know that, not sawflies, etc. i can't believe neem won't work. hmmm, yes, sevin should work and is fairly safe, the safest of the non-organics i think.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Seriously...I sprayed Neem all over and they're still there by the hundreds! Where is ceejay to be found?
Thanks!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

are you sure they are cabbage worms?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I think so, they are about a half inch to an inch long, all green. I am finding those &^%$#^%$# by the hundreds! What do you think?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

well, cabbage worms tend to like plants in the brassica family (cabbage, kale, etc.) and Bt does work well on them (i checked), so this leads me to believe that you may have sawflies. hundreds is a huge infestation imho, so you need to id the pest for sure before a specific control will work, but sevin should do it.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Sevin should work. But use the liquid spray, not the dust. And spray only in the evening, after the bees have gone back to their hives. Sevin is highly toxic to bees, and if you use dust, they will get it on their hairs, and take it back to their hives where they will then spread it to other bees. Using the liquid spray in the evening allows it to dry before the bees return to the plants in the morning. Dust has also caused phytotoxicity on the leaves of plants.

Use it only where necessary; don't use it where no problem exists. You will kill lots of beneficials that way, and do nothing to stop the cabbage worms. Sevin has a short life, which is good.

If those cabbage worms are young enough, Bt should work. But if they are in their later stages (instars), the Bt won't be effective.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks guys. I actually caught a different worm today in addition to the green ones. It was kind of striped yellow and black, and it was eating a rose bud! argh!!!
I will use the liquid Sevin. It doesn't harm birds, does it? There are many who come to spend the night high up my tree branches....

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i hope you don't have army worms but if you do, someone else will have to advise. i know nothing about them. http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=army+worms&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes!!! That's exactly it!!! One of them was eating my rose buds today!!! OK, I'm sold on the Sevin now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.