Red and Black Bugs on Rudbeckia Stems!

Columbus, OH

Can someone tell me what this is on my Rudbeckia - Black Eyed Susans (annuals). It's so gross! Something is moving and I thought it was red bugs but now that I look at my close up photos, it seems there are black spiders or ants and maybe the red things are not bugs. It's so nasty! What is it?

Thumbnail by pentasbutterfly
Columbus, OH

Another photo further away.

Thumbnail by pentasbutterfly
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are aphids. They have very soft bodies so spraying them with a soapy solution will dessicate their exoskeleton - IOW, they will dry up. You have to hit them directly. Keep checking back for any you might have missed - they reproduce faster than rabbits!

Columbus, OH

WOW! I didn't know they were such a problem. They have been there a week now. I just pulled a few of the plants since they were annuals and done blooming pretty much. But I was afraid to put the plants into my trash can in my garage - will they crawl out? I better pull the other three that are left. Will they spread to nearby plants?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They can spread to other plants, but I've noticed that they tend to have certain plants they find tastier than others, so I'll find them on one plant but then a different plant that's right next to it won't be touched. You've got enough of them, if they were going to really enjoy the other plants next to this one they'd probably already be on them.

If the stems they are on are through flowering, just cut them off and trash them. If not, I would use the soapy water treatment - a couple of tablespoons dish soap to a gallon of water.

When aphid colonies become crowded, winged aphids are produced which then fly to other plants to form new colonies.

Columbus, OH

They are just so gross. I think I may be lucky because I haven't seen them on any other plants but I will toss the flowers when I get home tonight. They are done flowering enough! Should I leave the area bare for a while before planting something else there? I have a pot of asters to plant but if I put them where the aphids were I could be asking for trouble!

I wouldn't worry about that. It's not like you have a soil disease. IF you should get aphids, soapy water will take care of them. I'm very surprised you've never seen aphids before. They are kind of everywhere...

Columbus, OH

Ceejaytown, Sometimes I helped my mother plant the petunias growing up but I never really gardened until I had a house. Last summer was my first time really gardening and I love it but I'm still learning. So, although I'm in my thirties, I'm just a baby in the gardening world! LOL I appreciate the help that everyone offers here at Dave's Garden!

I pulled the Rudbeckia's last night. After reading your response, Ceejaytown, I plan to plant the asters right there in the empty spot.

Well, it sounds like you are in for the ride of your life! LOL!! I absolutely LOVE gardening, but sometimes it is a challenge. And always, it is fun. Even when it's hard work.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the reminder that asters will be on nurseries soon! They are nice perennials to have in October!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s111/llluch/100_2877.jpg

Columbus, OH

You're welcome. Wow - those are beautiful asters, Luis_pr!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.