Final Clematis photo's of the season

(Zone 4a)

Here are the babies I planted in the spring. I think they did really well! This is Ville de Lyon and Polish Spirit together....

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

Close up

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

A different view

Thumbnail by DawnLL
(Zone 4a)

Another close up

Thumbnail by DawnLL
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Dawn - they look really great. Wow, that Polish Spirit is a vigorous one like everyone said. The pairing look very pretty together! I have the same two, not side by side though. But, I think I will have to move Ville de Lyon to a sunnier spot and plan on putting Etoile Violette in it's place. I dropped in on this forum to look at others' pictures of E.V. Thanks for posting your pics for us to see.

Delaware, OH

they make a nice combination together and look healthy and happy. have a feeling they will be blooming for a while. we have had blooms till thanksgiving in zone 5 from ville . also etoile violette bloomed till late november here last year. (second blooming)
so maybe not your last photo this year!!

(Zone 4a)

Gosh Niobe you are sooooooooo right!!! The clematis in the photo's above are still going crazy!!! Even prettier than when I took these photo's at the beginning of Sep. I really can't wait to see how all of them do on my pergola next year. I know the blooming times were a bit off this year since I just planted these in the spring.....

You have such great info and advice Niobe!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn..how gorgeous..My clematis are just now putting on new buds for their final flush..so nice to see yours now!!..I dread them going to sleep and will miss them so this winter!!..boohoo...I hate winter..even tho mine is so mild..but I do so enjoy the cooler weather!...Jeanne

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful blooms, Dawn! We really appreciate them this time of year!

Delaware, OH

i love it when the clems are asleep and it is down season. from the dead of winter the spring growth is like a miracle every year. checking under the mulch and leaves i bed them down with for the winter from late march on is like a easter egg hunt. then carefully covering them back up if it too early and keeping the green protected till just the right sunny day when threat of heaviest freeze is gone.....that is always a fun decision.
i would have serious garden and clem burn out without the off season!!!!!
and the hardiness of the clem to a light frost or spring chill is always amazing. so delicate and fussy is the clem yet so hardy and resilient...even some of them coming back time and time again from wilt is like an interesting science experiement, no?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.