DVD/VCR Combo

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

First let me start out by saying I'm a certifiable techno-dummy. That said, let me explain my problem. I have a Zenith combination DVD recorder/VCR unit that is about 3 years old. The DVD player started skipping, and discs were unwatchable. I thought maybe the laser needed cleaning, so I bought a disc cleaner. Most of the time when I inserted the cleaner disc I got an error message. The couple of times I got it to work didn't seem to correct the problem very much. I tried to take the cover off and clean the laser with a little acohol, but the screws that hold the cover on are practically welded on. I think maybe it's time for a new one.

My TV is analog with rabbit ears. As preparation for the switch to digital, I have a converter box for it, which I haven't installed yet. I have my eye on a Panasonic DVD/VCR combo with ATSC tuner. My understanding is that recorders without a tuner will be useless after the switch to digital. But do I really need to have a tuner if I have a converter box? What is a tuner, anyway? And what is an "up-converting" recorder? There is a big difference in price between tunerless recorders and up-converting recorders. I'd like to buy the least expensive type that will still work for me after the switch to digital. Any answers and advice is greatly appreciated.

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!