Pretty Blooming Blackie Sweet Potato

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of the BSP vine blooming. I think it is very pretty.

Thumbnail by makshi
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is a pretty bloom. I don't think I've ever seen blooms before.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

I had one of my BSP vines and one Ace of Spades both bloom with that pretty lavender flower. I didn't even know they bloomed until I went out one day and there they were! I haven't seen any blooms on the Margarite (green) SPV though.

Kaye C.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

My neighbor told me she had gotten a bloom on Blackie SPV too, last year I think it was. I thought she was yanking my chain. I had never seen or gotten a bloom ever on mine. I see that it is possible now. I wonder why some get blooms and some don't? The flower is really pretty. Now I want blooms on mine!

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

The blooms on mine lasted 4-5 days and were so pretty!

Kaye C

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Kaye - That's pretty good - 4 to 5 days. Nice. I wonder if conditions have to be "just right". I'm going to have to do a little research on that.

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi everybody,
Do they form seeds or not? I would so love to have some of the lovely sweet potato vines growing. I've never seen any here in SA. Was wondering if one can grow them from seed as I am sure postage will be way more than what I'm prepared to pay to get a tuber.

Elsa

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Elsa I don't know about seeds. I will have to check.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

The ornamental Ipomoea batatas can be self-infertile (and it definitely does help to hand pollinate) but so far about 60% of the plants that have produced flowers have also produced some seeds...if the pods can ripen before it freezes...

TTY,...

Ron

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ron

Pretoria, South Africa

I would really appreciate that.I can do a sase if you don't find anything on my trading list.

Elsa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.