Retaining wall next to house, how to protect my foundation?

Braintree, MA

This is my 1st posting, have searched the various forums but not seen any thread on this subject. If there is, then please direct me there.

I would like to build a fieldstone wall (~2 ft high) under a bay window, fill the space with soil and and sow some plants. I want to protect the fieldstone basement and siding so water and/or termites or any other insects do not damage the foundation or structure of the house. Do I need to leave a space between the wall and the house or should I fill it in with crushed stone, add drainage; if so how do I do that?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi. How close were you planning the wall to the house? Is the ground already sloped away from the house? That's probably the most important thing.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hello there... might want to think about a french drain below... but putting soil against the house might not be a good idea.. might be too much moisture build up and then the house can't breathe it away

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My mind goes to rotted siding, termites, etc. very fast but you might call in a contractor and see if he could put a platform (with drainage) behind the fieldstone and you could put pots of flowering plants on the platform. Then you'd be able to switch from daffodils to tulips to other plants as the seasons roll by and evergreen branches with hollies for winter interest. The part I see as tricky would be where the fieldstone meets the house.

Braintree, MA

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I would like the wall as close as possible to the house but I think it would look fine with a ~1' space between the foundation and the bed due to the bay window. Currently I just have some soil at ground level, slightly sloped away which I have planted but I think it would look much better if the bed was raised. My foundation is NE fieldstone, 3' visible so thought a wall would fit in.

Seems like I need to have a contractor look at it to prevent future problems.

Appreciate the feedback!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I spoke to my uncle, who is an architect, because I was having problems with one side of my house wicking moisture into the basement. What he recommended was a french drain...or...to come out from the house about 1', he said 2' would be better, dig about 1'-2' down, again the 2' being better, and place gravel in the area where the soil was. This would allow drainage, and the foundation to breath, and stop moisture from wicking in. I did get the worst part down like this, and I actually planted on top of it...It meant more watering, but it ended up working after a few seasons.

My property is also on a slowly sloping 30 degree grade, running from the front to the back of the house. I have 2 steps up to my front door, but I can walk through a door to enter my basement at ground level in the rear of the house. I hope that made sense.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

make sure it's a contractor you trust.... some of these guys will do anything for money... even if it's the wrong thing to do

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree. Many good contractors have photos of their work and you could contact BBB to check their records. Neighbors may be able to give you names of those you should call as well as those whose work wasn't up to par.

When we hired the mason for the terrace we had first asked the local people and when the same name kept coming up that's the person we hired though other were much less expensive. The photos were impressive and so was his work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.