True seeds from salvia

Ripley, MS

Can anyone direct me to a list of salvia seeds that will come true to the parent.
Thank you
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Named hybrids typically won't come true from seed, but even with others, many salvias tend to cross with each other rather prolifically so if you're getting them from another person (as opposed to a seed catalog) or from your own garden it may also depend on what other salvias were growing nearby that could have cross-pollinated.

Ripley, MS

That is the reason I wondered is there was a source available to direct me.
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you get them from a reputable seed catalog it's a good bet they should be what they're supposed to be. What I was trying to say in my previous post is that sometimes even ones that should come true from seed may not if there were other salvias in the area that cross-pollinated with them, so that makes it difficult to come up with a hard and fast list. If it's from your own garden and you know which salvias you had, post the list here and someone here would probably know whether they could cross-pollinate each other. Or if you're trying to trade seeds, just list what the parent plant was, plenty of people are willing to take a chance on things that might not come true from seed, sometimes you get something even better!

Ripley, MS

This is true--even better sometimes !!
Sandra

London, United Kingdom

Seeds from Seedhunt, California, invariably come up true, a very reliable source.

Seeds from any greggii/x jamensis/microphylla Salvias, frequently cross, but the results can be very interesting and beautiful.

Chinese Salvias invariably cross....again, the results can be great, but frustrating if you want the true species. Then there are all the hybrids with involucrata, etc.

I recently grew a lovely hybrid, which I can only think may be a cross of S. aurita x S. muirii, which were growing adjacently. It can be great fun!!!

Ripley, MS

thank you, I am wanting to grow some from seed next spring. I am not too picky about colors as I love anything that blooms-but I would like something that is a reliable bloomer not just a lot of foliage.
Thanks
Sandra

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Yes hard to guarantee that seeds do come true, a lot of the cases they do, I did buy some salvia iodantha seeds from seedhunt to compare it to the iodantha from here and ended up with a pink furry flowering iodantha, I was over the moon with the results.

I named it Iodantha 'Pink Mink'.

Thumbnail by annette68
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Very cool! I love the furry flowers!

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I love the flower and the name!

Thanks thought the pink mink sounded quite apt, guessing that iodantha was growing near littae and crossed, not sure as littae isnt in Oz. Well it is now I got seed germinated but no flowers as of yet.The plant is healthy and that is all that matters.

Candor, NC

Check to see if there is a really compact spike and a peloric flower at the terminal of the spike. This is a flower with 5-fold symmetry, like a campanula - no hood or lower lip. If this is what you have, it is probably based on the Huntington BG form.

The flower pic was from last year, pink mink is coming into bud now, a spring flowering iodantha by the looks.I just took a pic of the bud, very windy here so not the clearest.

Thumbnail by annette68
Ripley, MS

I have another question

Is there a list anywhere of the kinds of salvia that bloom all summer as do hot lips and black and blue? I am trying to add more salvia to the gardens for fall bloom, but if there are more like hot lips and black and blue that seem to bloom most of the summer and fall that would be good too.

I guess I am just a list type person-lol
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a bunch of greggii and microphylla cultivars, and they all seem to bloom the majority of the year (which explains why they are so horribly overgrown right now...I'm always trying to wait until they're not blooming to cut them back, but they're never not blooming!)

Ripley, MS

Maybe I need to feed mine some more then, my red greggii has had some blooms, but not enough to really show off. I just got it in the spring and assumed it would be like the later ones.
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Could be they bloom different in different climates?

Ripley, MS

I am in zone 7B--it might just need some time to settle in here. I am learning more about them, but some things are still very confusing about the different kinds.
Sandra

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I was thinking of heat/rain/humidity in the warmer months as well as winter, but being in zone 7 vs 9 might make a difference, mine don't get set back at all by winter cold so they're often blooming by March and we don't usually get much frost until mid to late December, so they've got a lot more opportunity to bloom. Or it could be how well established they are--mine have been in the ground a couple years now, but in the year that I planted them they didn't bloom like they do now I don't fertilize them either

Ripley, MS

Then there is hope for mine--by the way, major zone envy here--lol
Sandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.