hello

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

checking on all with gardening challenges. hello leaflady. leeflea

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Welcome, Lee. I hope you find yourself feeling right at home here. We are usually kind of slow on weekends. I usually get here earlier than this tho on Monday.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

leeflea51, I'm fairly new also. But can welcome you anyway.
A group of super nice brave ladies here. Know you'll love it here.
Notice you're from Miss. Are you keeping an eye on IKE? tho looks like he's heading for TX.
Vickie

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

hi, leaflady and cando1, good to hear from you leaflady and to meet you cando1.yes, i am feeling at home more and more. am eating cornbread and potato salad!
i am watching ike and would love it if he just fizzled away and save people the dangers.
cando1, i have relatives in little rock. are you near there?
leaflady, how's the breathing coming along? i'm still on prednisone and am ready to climb the walls but will start reducing dosage tomorrow!
now both of you take care and may each of you rest well tonight. leeflea51

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My breathing is better, Lee. Thank you for asking. I've been using my inhaler at times when I need it instead of regularly like I probably should. When they gave it to me it was high pollen season & that is over now for the most part. I'll be on Prednisone the rest of my life. I've been on it for 13 years now and to come off would likely throw me into addison's disease which is treated with prednisone. I only take 7.5 - 10 mg a day depending on the weather, what I will be doing that day and how the arthritis and fibromyalgia are making me feel. So many factors to consider and Prednisone can treat so many problems. I started out at 70 mg. a day and the doctors wanted to keep me on that for a year but I put my foot down on that after just a month or so. Too many terrible side effects including what it did to the manic/depression(now called bi-polar)problems I had that seemed under control. It has been so long ago I don't remember what I was taking for that.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

leaflady, good to know your breathing is better. i tell people when they ask what it's like to have an asthma attack that it's like running and breathing through only a straw.
i procrastinate using my albuterol because it make me nervous and jittery. but if a person wants to breathe, then it has to be done.
re: prednisone. i spent 2 days alternating between crying and extreme irritability this weekend. i, too, have manic-depression and know each time i have to take the stuff, i'll never know what my emotions will be like. it can do wonders, yes. but you are right, some of the side effects can be difficult.
take care and am wishing you and all the best. lee

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hope your breathing is better. Will it be better in the fall with cool weather or is it worse with all the pollen around?
Sorry about the bi-polar illness too. I have the depression but not the mood swings. I've known enough people with bi-polar to know that the high of it is not fun. Sure wish they'ed come up with a better description.

LOL,Lee, I just ate cornbread and pinto beans.Tomorrow i'll make some fried bean patties and something.

I may not post for a couple of days. Want to plant somethings before Ike.s rain hits and also want to take time to learn how to post links and pictures and whatever here on DG.

Have a great and blessed day.
Vickie

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

hi vickie, thanks, the breathing is better and i love the fall and winter as those are my best seasons to breathe without many problems. now, that i'm off the steroids, i feel better all around, not jumpy and hyper-alert. hate the steroids.
the manic-depression, now, is easier to live with since i made the commitment about 12yrs ago to just grit my teeth and take the meds. i don't tolerate lithium so i take tegretol and zoloft.
don't you love just good ol' southern food!? i do. i would make some cornbread today but think i'll put it off until tomorrow and just fix some fat-free hot dogs.
are you in the ozarks? a few years ago, my dad and his girlfriend(both in their 80's) lived in judsonia, which isn't in the ozarks but the area was pretty.
enjoy your planting. you must let me know what it was, flowers or fall vegs.
you, too, have a great day, lee

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, Lee, welcome! I used to take 1000 mg of prednisone IV once a month and man, I would come home in a state! My former husband used to say "oh, Mommy took her witchy medicine again," except he used a different word. Now my bones are all softer and I'm allergic. I guess I can't be allergic to prednisone but I'm allergic to Solumedrol, the IV version.

So small doses of prednisone could be used to treat arthritis on a long term basis? I'll have to mention that to DH, who has terrible arthritis, but is way too macho or manly or whatever to mention it to his MD.

You know, it seems that everything, from fibro to MS to celiac disease to PPS has a higher morbidity rate among women, meaning more cases are reported among women. I guess not prostate troubles, lol. I wonder how much of that is because men are more likely to tough it out, whatever it is, instead of saying "it hurts when I do this, ... I have the runs 4 days out of 7, ... I can't actually see the letters on the road signs...." or whatever needs to be said.

Anyway, that being said, WELCOME!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

1000 mg. IV!! Carrie, no wonder you were an emotional disaster area. I met a nurse once many years ago who taking was or had taken 400 mg a day for 2 or 3 years for spinal meningitis control. She said it was really hard. She also gained a lot of weight.

Your steroid allergies sound like my lidocaine, etc. We are not certain if it is just the oral viscous(?)type of lidocaine or all of the 'caine' family in all forms and are not willing to risk another reaction like the first one which nearly killed me. I put some of the oral swish & spit on my shoulder and had a terrible reaction. My doctor and all others who have heard about it are baffled. They can't believe someone is allergic to the 'caines'. But at least the ER staff and the ICU staff can't deny what they saw happening to me. It was called anaphalactic but not shock because my BP went up instead of down. They thought it might have been a stroke because I was totally paralyzed and lost conscienciousness for several hours. I was on IV Solumedrol then as well as IV benadryl. I now carry an EPI pen with me at all times.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yikes! When I first got hives in reaction to the Solumedrol, I was in the IV infusion room. The IV nurses who were there (and had seen it before) said it was either the steroids or something else. If it was the steroids, it would happen again, and next time would be worse. Sure enough, next month, I got home, "Mommy's a *itch again!" then i broke out in hives from head to toe. Like an idiot, I called my regular doctor's office, the physician on call happened to be a cardiologist, who told me that if it started to affect my breathing or my mouth, I should go to the ER and get some methylprednisilone!!! But they're the same thing!!!! I had to explain it step by step, that they were two different names for the same drug.

Sorry, Lee, we have completely hijacked your thread. I really am sorry. But it's a good story.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

hello carrielamont, thanks for your warm welcome. it's good that someone knows what it's like to be on the steroids but i almost fainted( i'm a man by the way) when you said 1000mg. you are a brave and strong woman to have endured it as was your family. lol with this bi-polar disorder, for which i take meds, the doctors have to be careful with how much they give me as i never know what mood it will throw me in to. i can become slightly manic and be the word your husband uses or sit around crying and everything in between, so the people around me know just to stay clear as, eventually, it will pass.
the 23rd is when i have the 1st knee replacement due to osteonecrosis of the lower femur and upper tibia of both legs. the orthopaedic surgeon said it might never be know n if the steroids caused it, sometimes it can happen with the 1st dose or, as in most cases, never happen. so he listed it as idiopathic.
still, if i needed steroids, as i did friday, i wouldn't hesitate as most of the time the benefits outweigt the risks.
yes, i understand you husband's sentiments. we fellows don't like admitting defeat. call it a gender flaw. lol. i still, in my mind think i can do the things i did in my 20's even though i'm 51.
again, thanks for your welcome and sharing your experiences with the side-effects of the steroids. lee

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, Lee, I kinda figured you for a guy. Maybe it's your relative reticence! We are unbelievably strong, the folks, men AND women, who hang on this forum. Have you seen this thread?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/890417/
And its successor:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902026/#new
This is a good one, too!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/804306/
We do try to concentrate on what we CAN do and not on what we can't do. Anybody can do it the easy way!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

hello carrielamont, i did check out briefly the links you provided but will read them in detail when i finish composing this to you. thanks for them.
oh, i agree about concentrating on what we can do, as it is so easy to complain and do nothing. i can't recall anything that has defeated me yet. if i can't do something one way then i'll figure out how to another way.
earlier, i was cutting mint and had to figure out a better position.
i hope you are having a good day as i hope for the others.
thanks for your check in.
lee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.