Visiting NE in October. Suggestions?

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

We'll be taking a cruise to see the fall colors in October, and visiting several cities - for one day each. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to spend our time in each of these ports?

We'll be in Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Saint John (New Brunswick), Bar Harbor (Maine), Boston (Mass.), Newport (Rhode Island), ending at New York City. We're staying In NYC two days and want to take in a play - Spamalot is calling to me...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have never been to the NE except to change planes.

Thanks much!

CJ

I've cross-posted this in vacations, but thought you all would be better able to advise. :-)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Bar Harbor, Maine = Acadia National Park without a doubt!

www.nps.gov

Victor who lives in New York can vouch for Acadia as he just got back last month. He is also very qualified to give advice on place's go/see in N.Y.

On top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia, looking down onto Frenchman's Bay. It's breakthtaking!

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 10:44 PM

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Thank you! That is one of the tours provided by the cruise ship, but I was wondering if we should rent a car and do it on our own instead of getting stuck on a bus. I like to take photographs, and it takes forever to get on and off those things, which really shortens the tour - and the opportunities!!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

By all means, rent a car! That way you can travel and sight-see at your own pace, and enjoy those things you really want to enjoy, or check out more closely those places you really want to visit.

Of course, you may find that the beauty of our area, and the people who live here, intrigues you so much that you will never want to leave!

I should warn you though, that the foliage may not be so brilliant this year, as the leaves are already beginning to turn and fall off the trees.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

What, no New Hampshire stops?!?! If it's fall foliage you want to see, NH and VT are tops IMHO

If you have time while in Newport, you could take a ferry to Block Island. It is beautiful and very peaceful there.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes - see Acadia! Hopefully the foliage will still be good. Will probably be too early in NYC. So much to see in NYC, it's hard to know where to start. What are your interests? As a gardener, the NY Botanical Garden is a mecca. Central Park is always great. South St. Seaport. Rockefeller Center - especially the observatory on top of the GE bldg. Great view of Central Park.

You all are being so helpful!!! I went to a link that indicated Canada may be past its prime, but that as we go south - to the states - we should probably be able to pick up the fall colors. I hope so.

Do you think that late October is still a good time for the NY Botanical Garden? Of course I have to see Central Park and Rockefeller Center. I am a tourist after all. LOL!!

South China, Maine. What an intriguing name...

Any time is great for the NYBG!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Quote: "South China, Maine. What an intriguing name"
Not if your waiting on a box of plants. My daylilies literally went to China the country once. They returned to the sender 3 months later and very dead. She refunded my money and sent picture....she was a really good sport. Now when she sends my plants she writes "USA" in big black letter on the box! lol

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

wow Celeste!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

The sad part? It's happened 2 X now. I have come to ask sellers to send the box w/ U.S.A. on the side somewhere please.

Wow - that's funny, Celeste. So how were your Olympics?!! Hee hee.

South Hamilton, MA

Rent a car ?--you certainly don't want to drive IN Boston if you can avoid it. Not botanical but the aquarium in Boston is a great place, and on the harbor--there may still be boston harbor cruises available.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

If your a History buff, do the Freedom Trail in Boston.. I did it and then ended it with a trip to the Aquarium, it was a great time!

Lots of historical stuff in Boston to take in. Back to NYC, here's the official tourism website:

http://nycvisit.com/

Walking tours are always nice. The Circle Line is a narrated boat ride around Manhattan. There are tons of museums to appeal to every interest. Natural History, the Met, Museum of Modern Art, etc. A month in NYC is not enough! You have to do a lot of prioritizing.

Mercy! But how did South China get that name?

We weren't thinking about renting a car in Boston or NY. Just Bar Harbor. I guess I didn't make myself clear on that. But we do drive in Houston and surrounds, and know how big city traffic is. :-)

pixie - Did you walk the Freedom Trail, or take a sightseeing bus? (I obviously don't know how long this "trail" is...) There is another tour offered by the cruise that takes you to the town of Plymouth, Plymouth Rock, Mayflower II, National monument to the forefathers, and the 1627 English Village at Plimoth Plantation. Do you know anything about that? I'm wondering if it is just too touristy.

victor - I'm thinking that I want to go to Ground Zero, and also to the Trinity Church and its graveyard, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, maybe take a circle line tour...Do you recommend Times Square? How about St Patrick's Cathedral? I have to confess - I'm not much into museums when I can be out and about, taking in the sights.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I walked the Freedom trail as DH doesn't like to drive in Boston.

South Hamilton, MA

Freedom Trail is set up for walking. People who have been to Plymouth reccomend it. Residents of old village speak 17th english & it is very hard to catch them out--evidently they are trained very well.

I would not recommend Times Square. Too crowded and really not much of interest.

You all are being so helpful!! Thank you!!

How long does it take to walk the Freedom Trail?

OK - Times Square is out.

South Hamilton, MA

Freedom Trail--depends how long you spend at each stop--re short or long wait at Revere house & other stops. Maybe you might skip a station if its not of interest. trail isn't long time spent varies. Not too helpful! I will check site.

South Hamilton, MA

I just looked at the map. If you stay on the main boston side of the trail & don't cross the charles River to charlston, it is much shorter.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I did half on Friday and the other half on Sat., ended the day with the Aquarium and dinner at the Black Rose.

http://www.irishconnection.com/index.php?id=41

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

When you get to NYC, give me a call, I am only a 30 minute drive in! Wonderfull place the city is exciting and exciting, lots to do and see, very different than tx's. I went to school in Dallas! No plants though, unless you get to Central Park, lol!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I'll speak up for CT. A boatride up the CT river when the leaves are turning is fantastic. Otherwise, I'd lean toward VT for leaf peeping. (just reread your initial post-- the preceeding won't be too useful to you)
A whale watch out of Maine is great.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2008 10:05 PM

If you lean to VT try to find a senic train ride. Heres an example.

October 4 – Ludlow to Summit: Wine Tasting Train
This is a one hour round trip ride with optional wine tasting and a "Ludlow Limited Wine Tasting Train" souvenir wine glass to take home.
Adults: Trip only $15.00
With wine tasting $20.00
Children 3-12, (ride only) $10.00
Children 2 and under free. Must be on lap.
Classic Coach $8.00 extra

October 25th if your in the area holds one of the worlds largest amount of carved pumkins. www.pumpkinfestival.com/

This message was edited Sep 16, 2008 7:22 AM

Just a note to thank you all for your continuing comments. I had to put this on hold while weathering Ike. We just got electricity and cable back, and it is still an iffy situation. We have much to do in the way of repairs.

Got my tickets today for the cruise, and I don't even have time to look at them yet... It looks like I'll probably have to make my own arrangements for sight seeing in the ports, since it is open season for all passengers now. But that's OK. I can do it. It's not England where they drive on the wrong side of the road, and it's not France where they drive all over the road - and I can't read the signs...

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Glad you are back on your feet now with some electricity, take your time and think about your trip. First, must take care of your surroundings, I am sure there is much damage that needs to take care of!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Best wishes ceejay!

Thank you! You all have been great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.