What is wrong with Lilac 'Miss Kim'?

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted this shrub Apr 2007. Looked rough all year but we had a drought and super hot summer. It bloomed this year and looks like this. I kept it watered but I don't believe it was too much at all - we are in a drought again. Adjacent plants are fine. It's my first Lilac so I'm at a loss. Any help appreciated. I'll post 2 pics.

Thumbnail by cedar18
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It does look a lot like heat scorch. Zone 7b is the southern limit for Miss Kim. Are there others nearby with which you can compare?

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

No snapple, afraid not that I know of. Most people don't grow Lilac, tho Miss Kim is supposed to be one of the best CVs for here. Maybe if I grew a vine on the fence behind it, I wonder if that would offer it some sun protection? I agree, it does look like scorch.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

A little shelter from the afternoon sun probably wouldn't hurt. I have a few Japanese Maples that can't take the heat (even in this zone) and I'm looking at some scorched stuff myself. The last two weeeks were brutal for heat plus no rain for six weeks. Like you, I've been busy watering. Lets hope for some rain and cooler weather.

Danville, IN

Leaf scorch, or summer leaf stress, is very common with 'Miss Kim', in my experience, and I've planted hundreds. I always warm clients that in hot, dry summers this will occur. It's never fatal, and your shrubs should be just fine next spring. Even the ones at the nurseries look like yours this time of the year, after a dry summer. Keep it watered, and in a few weeks it'll be bare anyway. (It might even defoliate early.)

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

My friend and I were just discussing this very problem this morning! Our leaves look pitiful. Glad to hear it will recover. Thanks for the info!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the advice. I'll just get over it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.