ALL ABOUT OKRA

Louisville, KY

It has been some time since I last posted this link to ALL ABOUT OKRA. . I hope it will provide some helpful information to you.
Gary, Who loves Okra but doesn't have space for growing it.

All About Okra
Names History Cultivation How to Freeze Nutrition Recipes Seed Sources Stories Events Pictures Crafts Links http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/ravi/okra/

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks. We love it pickled and fried.

Corte Madera, CA

LOVE okra in Philippine version of ratatouille.

Or just steamed.

Thank you!

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 6:38 PM

Moonglow: what is the Philippine version of ratatouille? Recipe, please?

Corte Madera, CA

I didn't visit here right away; sorry for the late response. Like many Philippine dishes, we saute garlic, onions, diced tomato, then prawns (or pork), eggplant, squash, peppers, and okra (often with bitter melon as well). salt and pepper to taste. cover the pan until the veggies exude their juices (5-10 minutes).

i add anchovies in the saute for depth in flavor, but that's me =).

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Gary,

Plant it in your flower beds and tell the neighbors it is hardy hibiscus. LOL. Seriously, a couple of plants will provide you with plenty and take very little space.

I'm planting lots of okra next year so I can have enough to pickle. There is a Cajun restaurant here in town that I love to go to. I always get the salad bar there so I can load my plate with their pickled okra. Love them!!

Karen

Crestview, FL

I planted okra this year and it was the easiest of the veggies I planted to care for and produced the most. I used grow boxes; but next year they go right into the grown. They grow straight up and produce many branches and next thing ya know there are yellow flowers and then comes lots of okra, pick them before they get too big though, as when they get big, they are too tough to eat, and that will also keep the plant from producing lots of more okra for you. I like mine battered and fried, the true southern way, or in gumbo. I have purchased some burgandy okra seeds for this next season.
joy112854

Perryville, AR

One small caution if you have deer around they love okra leaves and you will get no okra! Had to fence mine (7') tried everything else and since I'm a wildlife biologist by training it was very agrivating .

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I did read on here somewhere that laying dog wire fencing (2x4" holes) down on the ground will keep the deer back. This person swears it works because the deer can't see their feet and when they step on the fencing material it feels "wrong" to them and they won't cross it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will. Does seem as if it should work. This would be similar to the way a cattle guard works.

Didn't know they like okra leaves. I know from experience they love rose bushes and pumpkins vines.

Karen

Crestview, FL

Karen and nick: My okra was the one plant that flourished with no problems at all this year, of course, they are in the back which is behind a 6 ft privacy fence, no deer can even get back there, nor bunnies as I had it cemented too closely for that and unless the squirrels are suicidal, don't think even they will try jumping 6 ft to the ground off a tree for some veggies.
joy112854

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Joy,

I don't have any problems with squirrels even though the woods behind us are filled with them. I assume the acorns and pecans keep them fed. My worst critter "problem" is my daughter's dogs. I finally found that Critter Ridder will make them leave my garden and flower beds alone. I can't plant much outside of the house fence, though, because of the deer. When I get the area inside the fence filled up, I'll tackle the deer problem if I feel I need to expand.

Karen

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Does anyone know if okra would grow in New Zealand? Im quite interested in trying it, but havent heard of anyone growing it here. And I havent seen the seeds on offer anywhere.

Lena

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Lena,

I would think okra would grow there. Give it a try. Okra needs hot weather, but otherwise isn't fussy. Last year I grew Clemson Spineless and this year I tried Cajun Delight. For me, at least, the Clemson Spineless was more productive.

Okra needs to be picked when the pods are 2-4" long. Believe me, the pods grow so fast that if you skip a day checking the plants, the next day the pods are 6-8" and too tough.

Here's a seed source in New Zealand:

http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/shop/Organics/Organic+Vegetables/Okra+Clemson+Spineless.html

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.