Phlox: can I plant in fall?

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

I really want more phlox next year, I only have one small plant and it's not in a very showy spot. If I bought some new plants and put them in this fall to give them a head start next spring, would they be likely to make it thru the winter in my zone?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

HI Thea, good to see you again. Fall is generally the best time to plant anything in the southeast. The roots have time to get established before the cold weather and the tops don't burn up from the heat like they would if you had planted them earlier.

Phlox are certainly cold hardy; most problems they might have come from the humidity. Phlox can get mildew easily but there are resistant varieties like David. I know there are many other new varieties that are also mildew resistant but I don't remember all the names.

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks ardesia, that's great! I have the phlox David, and it's so pretty. It's not in a real sunny spot, I'm not sure even the varieties that show "full sun" would be able to take our version of full sun here, from early morning till almost sunset. I still can't believe how relentless the sun is here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.