She's About To..........#14

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a nice new room!Ah, stretch your legs a bit! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/897316/

Aren't I bold tonight? That's what having 6 buds on my yellow brug tonight gets me, LOL! I know it's not much, but the most I've ever had, so it's a big deal, hee hee!

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

All buds are a big deal!!! I love each one of them : )

(Becky) Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Ty Karen.. me being on dial up... I always appreciate it when anyone starts a new thread!! We do talk alot!!
here ya'll are talking about having to bring all your plants in.. and here I am thinking of taking all mine out.. maybe.. I just need to leave my lil path the way it is?..!..LOL

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Good Morning Hotties! Karen, TY for the new thread... boldness is a hottie trait, so YOU are truly a hottie, indeed! lol We don't care who starts them, we get involved in the chatting part and if we're not on dial up, we don't always notice how long they get... (I don't anyway).. Gotta run, catch you all pretty soon.. dark cool and cloudy, 50 degrees here.. brrrr ;)

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Morning Hotties,

Thanks for the new Karen, from work I can deal with the long ones but from home were there is just good old dialup I appreciate it not going over 300. Becky I wouldn’t even be thinking about getting them in yet if I was in better shape and there were no storms brewing. I normally don’t start until the end of September. This season my clean up is way beyond my norm and I too must have been dreaming I had a large heated green house for the masses.
Hazy hot and disgusting is the weather for today in RI, should make the mid 90’s. Maybe the plants will love it but I don’t, I’ve already gotten use to the cooler weather.
Time to get some work done, got people waiting on me.

Morning Girlies!!

I hear you Donna... It about killed me to get mine in before we left.. I didn't even go to bed that night! I wish I had a greenhouse too!!

(Cathy), MO

Morning everyone. Still raning here but I'm not complaining!

I am going to copy the msg below so maybe someone can help identify this thing. Saved the pic off so I can attach it too.

Hi, just was browsing around tonight and the pic on the general forum shows what looks to appear like my moon flower but without the leaves. Even the younger one to the right is identical to what I have always thought to be a moon flower. Just outta curiosity, what happened to the plant's leaves?
But I am sure "Moon Flower" is not the official name of the plants that come up every year

Thumbnail by cat64129
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Good morning Cath. The pix is a large healthy datura, some also call them Devil trumpets, a misnomer "Moon Flower" since they open up at night too.

(Cathy), MO

Sounds like she has thought she had a moonflower all these years.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I think we left Lavender on #13, I'll go back and guide her over here... on the white datura,, datura metel, jimson weed... Kimbob, I know the pic Cat posted as Jimson Weed... a member of the datura family... I too have heard to keep them away from brugs as well as tomato plants, which brugs are a member of... tomatoes carry Mosaic virus which can be contracted by our brugs.. I have them, just away from each other and so the wind doesn't blow from the maters into the brugs (just my effort to grow both)... Then theres the yellow, purple and white datura that doesn't grow as bushy and more upright.. then there's moonvine, which I love and it is a night bloomer/scented like brugs.. this is from last year.. white moon vine... I'm running over to the PF... and getting Louise over here on #14 ..

Thumbnail by AuntB
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bonnie, great shot at the flowers and the pair of Hawkmoths!!! Did you know those moths are likely the very insects that pollinate brugs' and other nightblooming flowers?

________

Back to my 1st double pink brug blossoms?
Due to temp. changes the bud aborted before it opens! :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

AW, Kimbob! I'm sorry... poor lil thing..... Yes I've had them swarming around my brugs in years past... they are a tomato worm,.... I haven't seen any this year, but I didn't get the moonvine growing where I usually do...

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

She has some more buds, right Kimbob? That's so dissappointing after you waited so long.. Here's a pink moth on Maya last year...

Thumbnail by AuntB
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi hotties, so new thread again, thanks Karen, we needed it!

Aunt B you got me worry now about the dats and brugs not being together. Mine are all over the yard and even touching each other. Will have to go and inspect if they are getting sick, Am at work now and I am very panicky! Can someone calm me down, please, donot want to loose my babies!

Have a great Everyone and I want a green house too Beckie

My Brugmansias are all in the ground here. Where exactly due you cut them off for the winter, just above the Y? Also, I sure need to know how to root Brugs.....What are the best methods? Do most of ya'll root all your cuttings? I'm having a cup of coffee with ya'll, just thinking about what I need to do before the wintertime....Sure is nice having this cooler weather here!

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 8:50 AM

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Karen, I'm not sure, but you may not have to cut them in your zone... I'll get back with ya on that one...I only know how they need to be cared for in 5b/6a-which ever I'm in.... but poor Clemen needs some comforting.... Clemen, I said I read somewhere.... I'm not certain about the dats, am certain about the tomatoes... Don't panic, they are fine.... I'll do some research and see what I can find about it.... If you've had them that way and all is well, it's probably fine....

(Cathy), MO

I rooted most of mine and if I can do it, anyone can! I was told to either put them in distilled water with a dash of peroxide and change the water every 2-3 days. And when the white nubs start, put them up. Or put directly in potting soil. I did the water way and had fairly good luck.
As for cutting, haven't done it yet so we need an experiences hottie to chime in there!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

http://www.alchemy-works.com/datura_info.html
Link above to datura and interesting facts about rituals and uses in the past... nothing on growing with brugs.....so far..
Karen, I think people in your zone leave them... unless you want to trim unwanted branches or suckers for the look or starting new plants... they wrap them in little christmas lights and blankets if there is a freeze expected... I don't whack mine any further than I have to, to fit into the basement, cause mine grow in pots. Sometimes I do whack, for trying something new... I trim most all the leaves except for a few at the top... they do grow back some during winter under lights on a timer down there. I also line them all up and spray every inch top and bottom and stems & blooms with Neem before I bring in. They get 2 or 3 and 1 rose food/insecticide during the season and this year I tried some tree bug stuff in effort to NOT have aphids down there again this winter.. I think we find the best way for us as individuals to root them... in the growing season, some I just stick back in with the mother plant, they root and I put them in their own small pot for sharing.. some I do the water peroxide thing and do change or add to it every 2-3 days in the growing season... in fall/winter, if I cut big trees and tall suckers, I put them in a 5 gal bucket about 1/2 full of water... I only add to the water in winter, never completely change it out unless I get a rotted cutting and it makes the water yucky... I've used an aquarium pump and stone and I've not used the aquarium pump and stone and both ways were successful. the big ones I put in a bucket are potted back up (or I have had one in the ground) in spring. The cuttings we'll all be sharing, (6-10 in semi-wood is what I like to send) to root over winter, you can put in the H2O2 solution (water/peroxide) or some just put in plain water, until they "nub" then pot up or some people pot them up directly... I've used heat mats, mini greenhouses and no special heat/light environment and I get a mix of success/failure on all my trials but, ... then you have to add in my winter neglect factor in, too.... so I feel great with a 50/50 success ratio...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bonnie, I've another bud that's also about to open. And several more of the coming mini-flush on that same double pink. I've found several of the 'little okras' were also aborted from this very plant.....so it's un-nerving!!!

Everyone is welcome to visit my posts on brugs/plumies here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/899350/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the interesting link... so glad you have some more buds on that one... It may just not be up to standard, Kimbob... but I'd give her time to bloom in better temps and grow her out at least another year... Very un-nerving...

(Cathy), MO

Bonnie, have you ever put more than 1 kind of brug in bucket?? I don't really want to cut back the ones I want to keep, but don't have room to drag all the big pots inside. Was wondering about getting 2 or 3 buckets and putting them all in there?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

With a hurricane you sure don't have anywhere to hide....darn and to boot you have to worry about tornado and flooding on top of that.....so I am huffing and puffing and blowing it back out to sea.

Too dark when I left this morning to see if anything suffered...in fact my lights went out and it was pitch dark! Don't ya just love the country...LOL The black cat was alot help when I got outside....it rubbed on my leg and I about had a heart attack!

Welcome Karen, hotties are just natural leaders and doers....LOL

AuntB, it gets a little intimidating when you look out upon the yard and see all the tropicals, that were these cute little fellows just a few months ago and have now grown into the jolly green giant!....LOL

Has anyone ever tried to tie screen over the brugs to keep the bugs out or would that even be possible or are they on the plant to begin with?

Thanks Aunt B, you are a jewel!

BTW nice link! I was wondering about the seed pods, my dats have way too many but the plants are still producing flowers like crazy!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

This is my opinion... I think the real experts say NOT to put more than one brugs cuttings per bucket... because if you have a diseased one, it could pass on the germs to the other brugs... But, I've put 2 or 3 kinds per bucket cause I'm 99.9% sure my precious brugs are healthy happy brugs... You prolly want to mark them real good (I've even used magic marker directly on the tall woody- semi-woody cuttings) I've rooted 7 ft trunk cuttings that are woody like trees... (didn't get them planted the next year, but I got big long roots) so I can't say the big tree cuttings would be able to snap back and grow healthy, but I'm sure the smaller ones would... I sure understand about draggin pots... Mine get staged in fall, if the weather permits... in a couple weeks (weather holding-please) I'll get them all around the house and leave them outside in front of the garage door... I've already started weening them from fertilizer.. Then as time allows, I'll enjoy the blooms outside as long as I can and keep watering... if we get a frost warning, they all get pushed, lugged, drug inside the garage door, then if temps allow, they get moved back out for daytime sunning... I'll do this about 3 times, then I'm exhausted, and it's time to trim, spray and haul to the back of the basement cause 1 or 2 pots would be fine, but I don't even want to count all the big pots I winterize... over 2 dozen, at least... and dozens more smaller pots... Even after trimming they will continue to bloom down there, some all winter... in fact the only blooms I've ever seen in my 3 or 4 yr old Alex, was in the basement... looks like that's where I'll see them again this year...still no buds ALL summer! His lack of bloom production just might put him on the "chopping" block... I can't have a non-producer taking up valuable basement space and lighting... poor Guy.... (ok, I'll give him 1 more season).. lol

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Poor Clemen, she has TOO many seed pods...and STILL bloomin? So sorry.. lol Bet ya I know where you can unload some seeds ;) Yes, Joyce I look out there and wonder what I am thinking... my motto: If it doesn't fit, make it fit... and I'm determined I will. I've been lighting the torches in the early a.m., got my warm winter robe out and that's how I have coffee this time of year... It's so soothing before starting the daily rat race..

Aunt B, we were joking around about sassafrass tea and somehow Daturas got mixed into the conversation over on the Texas board last week....I mentioned the Indians using Datura tea for pain, or spirit quest visions and was told very seriously that the new thing with kids (many have died) around Texas anyway from drinking/eating Datura or Brugs, and Jimson Weed which is highly poisonous of course, to get "high". I had no earthly idea. Many have had plants/flowers stolen right out of their yard. Can you believe it???? Some DG'rs are keeping all their Dats in the backyard to limit access to passerby. It's a horrible thought that kids would try this lethal way to get stoned. And from the most beautiful and special of plants....Just thought I would share this information with ya'll in case you'd never heard of it.

Minneapolis, MN

Hi Everybody. Thanks for the invite Cat. Yes you are absoultely right that I was told when I first bought my first Moon Flower years ago that that is what it was called and I never knew other wise. I live in Zone 4 and I have never bought another Moon Flower from that first year, years ago. I always thought that with the millions of seeds each plant drops that it literally can take over my yard. I pulled 100's of plants off my beach finally and this particular one gets whacked off in the fall and comes back every spring. In a crack in my patio cement floor of all things

Thumbnail by Sandra_D

Hi Sandra, nice to meet you! What a little baby doll in a little hat you have there! She's beautiful! And the flowers are too ☺

Minneapolis, MN

Thank you, Karen. She is my 21 month old Granddaughter, Amiyah. In this pic because my camera has such a bad delay, this is kind of her "America's next Top Model" pose. LOL Guess it's time to invest in a better camera.

Thumbnail by Sandra_D

Ty for the info Bonnie.. bloomless Beck needs all the help I can get!!..LOL.. I killed 2 sticks that was marked with magic marker, and I blamed it on the markers.. NOW are you telling me it was ME after all???
Karen.. yes the brugs will die to the ground here too, and come back in the spring. Since i planted mine late I will take cuttings of all of them just to be safe..
Sandra WELCOME!!

OK Hootie Hoties!! Here's the pic, and it doesn't show all of the mess cause I have 3 chairs.. 2 ottomans and a plant in the dining room.. ALL down the hall, and into the bathroom... I just AIN'T going to show ya'll ALL my mess...LOL

Thumbnail by beck5711
South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Well, I finally get a chance to check in and it takes all the time I have just to read. Wow some days we can chat up a storm. BBL for now:

Hi Sandra and welcome to the thread.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Sandra D, Welcome! So glad you came in. Your dats are lovely, but the real special bloomer is your little precious Amiyah! What a sweetie! I know people get dats popping up everywhere, but I scattered a whole pod of seed this spring and 1, 1 little puny thing growing in the shade... not even where I scatterd.. lol Nice DG'er took pity and mailed me seedlings -3 purple and 3 white... the purple ones are budded and the white, I'm afraid I planted in too much shade, so they aren't as happy as the purple ones. Karen, I did know that of brugs and dats, learned many years ago... about them being poisonous and used in rituals, kids try anything, I guess... I always tell Drew's friends, "don't get any ideas, cause they are poisonous, deadly and it would be the last time you got "stoned" on anything"... don't even work with them and let the "juice" get in a scratch... (I doubt if it would kill you (scratch), but it would probably sting and make you feel weird) Beck, those were prolly MY marked up cuttings and I can send you more... it's okay to lose some, cause we'll always get more.. it's a learning process... Your house looks like home to me! Love the rug and the cool furniture and all your plants! Donna, we are blabbing it up today, aren't we? I'm getting some work done, too.

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

Hello Hotties! As much as I hate to admit it, I think Fall is here. 50 degrees this morning and still chilly. And yeah, I've got a pot of chili going on the stove, smells so good. But that is definitely fall eating..

Clemen, I'm really pretty sure you are okay. It's just the tomotoes and brugs I've always heard that don't need to be together, mainly because the same worms like both of them.

Oh, Kimbob, how disheartening! Hope this bloom loss is a one-time deal.

Hi Sandra, your GD is a little charmer. How cute, and that looks like what we call a moonflower vine here.

Karen, I had always heard that the datura and brugs were something you needed to watch with their hallucinogen properties. I have one brug out front and I live near both the middle school and highschool and so far I haven't seen any problem yet. And hope I don't! Some of the Hispanic roofers that were here earlier, kept asking me about datura, but I just told them no, it wasn't, it was very poisonous. Don't know whether they believed me or not, but they left it alone. And on wintering, I was told in my zone to cut them off and turn a pot upside down over them and that was all they needed. But this is my first winter, so we'll see. :))

Uh, Beck, what's wrong with that picture? That looks like my house all of the time... Oh, shame on me!

Bonnie! I can't forget you! Don't work too hard! And you just reminded me I need to get a new warm robe. Old faithful finally bit the dust last winter. Grrr. My favorite now gone.

Got to get busy. Still not sure I like this new schedule yet. Peg

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Yes my goodness very chatty today, at least I managed to read it all. No time to comment now so I will write more when I get home. For now I just wanted to post a virus warning that we received from our MIS department today, it has been verified so please be careful opening emails (NOT DMAILS).

COMPUTER VIRUS WARNING
The newest virus circulating is the 'UPS Delivery Failure'. You will receive an email from UPS Packet Service along with a packet Number. It will say that they were un-able to deliver a package sent to you on such and such a date. It then asks you to print out the invoice copy attached. DON' T TRY TO PRINT THIS. IT LAUNCHES THE VIRUS! Pass this warning on to all your PC operators at work and Home. This virus has caused millions of dollars in damage in the Past few days.

Okay that's all for now, later
Donna

Minneapolis, MN

Hey Thanks Donna and Becky. Can someone please tell me what actually are Brugmansias or Brugs and how are they related to Datarus? So.....Are my Moon Flowers Datarus'?

Thumbnail by Sandra_D
(Cathy), MO

Hey Sandra, you made it!!! Welcome! I had to run to town and check the PO box, and just got back.

Thinking I might take a cutting and root (just in case!), then put the big ones I want to keep in a bucket. Gotta do something to conserve space!

I will let someone with more experience explain the difference between brugs and daturas. From what I've heard though, the easiest way to tell them apart is brugs blooms point "down" and daturas point "up" Someone else chime in here!

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL I think I got left behind the last two threads. Keep that up and I will be several threads behind just talking to myself! Datura and Brugmansia both belong to the family solanaceae as are eggplants, tomatoes as are many others in the nightshade family.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Clemen, put me on your list for yellow and purple dats when you have seed!! Gracias!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.