Gainesville, Ga Sept, 13th

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Georgia Gardeners, are any of you North Georgians going to go to the Garden Expo in Gainesville on September 13th. I am planning on being there and would like to meet DG's members. Sharon

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Sharon, I'm planning on going. Not sure what time I'll get there though. Becky

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I am going. I will go in the a.m. since it's only the one day this time (previously it's been Fri and Sat) to get the best selection. When your schedules firm up, maybe we can set a meeting place/time. It's not a very big place and the snack bar and restrooms are in the only closed in real building part (in the front). Pam

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I hope to be there by 10:00 a.m. Sharon

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Proposal: 10:30 at the snack bar? We need a 'flag' so we'll recognize each other!

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

O.K. Sharon

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

My friend and I will be there in the morning. Snack bar at 10:30, sounds good to me. See ya there.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hopefully we will recognize each other as DGers although in an arena of other plant-nerds, we may not stand out. I am middle aged and short - there's a hint! Pam

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I will probably with my cousin who is very petite, short and dark-haired. I will be wearing black pants and a leopard print sleeveless top. I am also middle -aged, over-weight, and non-descript. Sharon

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

If I can find it, I'll wear my Dave's Garden T-shirt. I'm a little past middle age, over-weight, non-descript and short. LOL oh, and I'll probably have on a baseball cap. Not sure which one though. Becky

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

We are leaving at 5:00 am, I will be the 1 that is asleep. It is a 4 hour drive from Broxton, I certainly hope it will be worth the trip. We are going to do some shopping on the way home. Any suggestions? Sharon

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Sharon, what kind of shopping? Plants? and what is your route (where is Broxton? I used to live in Warner Robins....) Pam

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

We are in South Georgia, have you heard of Douglas? We are 8 miles north of Douglas. We are supposed to go through Dublin to I-16. My cousin is driving, she has family that lives in Gainesville and she knows the way. We will be shopping for clothes, toys, plants, and I need to find a Hobby Lobby or something similar. Sharon

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

There is a Hobby L in Buford at Exit 4 off I-985 (16 miles before you get to your exit for the expo tomorrow, but you'll probably be going on your way back). So if you are southbound on I-985 (having left the expo), you would get off at Exit 4 and turn right. It's probably just under a mile ahead on your right (across from Home Depot). Gainesville doesn't have a HL or Michael's or JoAnns.

Mall of Georgia is also at Exit 4 and has EVERYTHING. Heading southbound on 985, you would turn left after you get off at Exit 4 (heading away from HL) and go about 2 miles. The mega development of strip malls starts quickly but the real mall is on your left almost all the way to I-85.

See you tomorrow. Pam

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much for the info, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Thanks, Sharon

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Great plant sale. I got fountain grass, swamp milkweed, a prostrate rosemary and mums. I also got fuji apples and some honey. My friend Lydia got caryopteris, salvia and a few other plants. We had a great time. We met Pam and saw Sharon and met her cousin. For those who went to Donna's RU last spring, Sharon is the one with the fabulous pond and waterfall. I hope she got some great plants and found Hobby Lobby OK. Pam, I hope to see you again soon.

Becky

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

It was very nice meet you all. We are real people, not just screen names! I DID go back as I think I said on the RU thread. I ended up buying 3 native shrubs that I was unfamiliar with (which means they were NOT on my list. I don't know how that happens. LOL): Leucothoe 'Curly Red' (I have the plain species which looks nothing like this cultivar), Walter's Viburnum/ compact form and Coralberry. So if anybody has grown these, please give me a report and info. Thanks! Plus I got other stuff....

Then today we went hiking up at Tallulah Gorge and stopped by Hillside, a nursery that I think was at the expo. There I was forced to buy a Penstemon Husker's Red and DH bought a fig tree.

Hope to see you at Becky's RU. I have to get busy on my swap list.
Pam

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Too funny Pam. Sounds like everyone had a good time. Sorry I missed out. We are trying to tackle the piles of debris from the storm in May. Best time to work is weekends when the chimney folks are off. Hope to be at the TAT trip though. So glad you and Becky met.
Laurel.

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I agree with you Becky, it was a great plant sale. I am so glad that I made the long trip. I bought succulents to give to the members of the Town & Country Garden Club. We are having our annual planning meeting at my place. I also purchased heucheras and an air plant. Everyone there was so friendly. Pam, it was nice to meet you. Thanks again for the directions to the mall. I want to attend the 2009 Spring sale also, maybe I will see all of you again then. Sharon

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sharon, Becky and all, I went there for the 2008 Spring plant expo. It was a wonderful show and I'm glad y'all were able to make the trip for this one. I wonder if it was at the same place? Was it at a huge covered equestrian pavilion? I like the little wagons they let you borrow and also had people there to help you load your plants in your vehicle. That was a special touch I thought. When I was there, a guy had his yard art booth with animals he had welded made from metal parts, tractor nuts and bolts, lawn and farming equipment parts. He'll be a Mossy Creek festival too. I want to go back. He had a Blue Heron that I wanted but I only had planned funds for plants so I didn't get it.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

The spring expo (yes, it's the same place) is 2 days, fri and Sat. There were fewer vendors then usual this time, maybe the time of year and the fact that several local nurseries have gone out of business. The drought and accompanying water restrictions did them in. Also maybe some of the vendors who live a good distance away (a guy w/herbs used to come from S. Ga.) were affected by high fuel costs.

Still it's a fun plant shopping experience. I also bought some nice metal signs (ind. letters) for herbs. They also have a holding area for your purchases, like a coat check.

C dawg, I know about remorse for not-buying. That's why I like the 2 day show - so I can go back and get what I regretted NOT getting all Friday night!

And I can't believe Sharon and Becky both termed themselves as overweight! Get real ladies, get a mirror! You look great.

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the compliment, Pam. I still need to lose about 20 lbs. before I will be comfortable with my weight. Where is the Mossy Creek festival at Cordeledawg? Sharon

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sharon, Mossy Creek is between Perry and Warner Robins. About 35-40 minutes up the road from me. They have a spring and a fall festival. The fall festival will be the 18th and 19th of October. Here's their website. And you bes far from fat, girl friend.
http://mossycreekbf.homestead.com/

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

If gas is affordable I will have to attend this festival. Will there be any plants there? Do you know of any good nurseries nearby? I will just make an all day outing for myself. Thanks, Sharon

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sharon, Larry and I went to Georgia Trees & Crape Myrtle Nursery in Kathleen (Houston County). They have lots of plants, not just trees. Here's a listing of plant nurseries in the Houston and Peach County area around Perry and Warner Robins.
http://www.gardenguides.com/resources/nurseries/nurseries-city.asp?dest=Kathleen+GA

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

The link won't open, what am I doing wrong?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Just one click for me and it opens. I don't know. Hey, yooowhoo, Becky, will it open for you?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sharron, try copy and paste into your browers or just type it into your brower.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

It opens fine for me. Neat site. I wish someone had one for this area. I'm sure there are a lot of nurseries around here I don't have a clue about. Like the lady we talked to who has one on Spout Springs road. Its just a few miles from my DGD elementary school and I'd never seen it.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Becky, I haven't looked at that site since I posted it. But seems I remember you can key in your town you want then it will give you the listing of area nurseries? I'm headed to bed, if I think about in the morning I'll look at it again. You're right, I have had the same thing happen to me with a mom and pop nursery in the county that had been operating several years before I knew about it.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Deb, I just used that site and put in my zipcode. Amazing how many nurseries were returned. What a great tool. Thanks, Becky

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

you're welcome! Now find us some good deals!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.