Anyone for a TRIP to Thyme After Time near Athens?

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey All,
If you are free on Sept 24th come and meet me and Pam (Cedar18) in Winterville, GA at Thyme After Thyme, 10 AM. Let's make a day of it and spend an hour or two at Thyme After Thyme, then have lunch at the new Marigold Cafe' in the city of Winterville, just a few minutes from TAT. From there go to the Botanical Gardens in Athens, about 12-15 minutes away (depending on traffic). I spoke with someone at TAT and they said they should have most, if not all, of their fall stock available.

Please let me know if you plan to attend, and I'll add your name to the list below. This would be a good time to swap seeds and plants, too, so if you have anything to share, bring it with you...sort of a mini round-up. Make trades amongst yourselves here on this thread, too. Just post your haves and wants. I won't be keeping track of all those trades so please be sure to note what you'll be trading with whom.

RSVP:
FrauSnow
Cedar18
MaypopLaurel
Beclu727
Danita
GirlGroupGirl

Here are a map & directions to TAT:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Oconee+St%2FUS-78+%4033.946340,+-83.354810&daddr=550+Athens+Rd,+Winterville,+GA+30683&hl=en&geocode=FeT6BQIdRhsI-w%3B&mra=ls&sll=33.95778,-83.31511&sspn=0.059517,0.109177&ie=UTF8&ll=33.959735,-83.325119&spn=0.059515,0.109177&z=13

From the Loop:
Hwy 15/441/129/10 Loop to Exit 8 (Hwy 78). Turn right. Go through first light, then turn left @ next light onto Winterville Rd. Drive to next stoplight and turn right onto Winterville Rd. Go 3 miles; TAT is on the left.

Other directions, go to TAT website at: http://thymeafterthyme.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=2&chapter=0&zenid=3986eec202798e604f1b801031289fdf

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 7:55 AM

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 8:15 AM

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 1:48 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'd love to join you and Cedar for the TAT trip and lunch. Sounds like fun. My best gardening bud, DH, might like to come along too if that's okay? I may or may not beg off the BG Athens trip and keep on heading out to Jewell Orchids for some Winter happiness.
Laurel

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurel,
No problem for me if you bring DH...the more the merrier!

JoAnn

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Please count me in. I'll bring some marigold seeds for you JoAnn. I'd love to go to the BG, only been there once. But... where's Jewell Orchids Laurel?

Jewll is in Colbert, GA, Becky. http://www.jewellorchids.com/. If you are interested we can maybe figure out a carpool from JoAnn's meeting.

I'm not sure what I'll have to swap. Mostly seed, I'd guess. Cosmos, zinnia, evening primrose, arugula and of course...lots of maypops. :) I'll have some saved heirloom tomato and pepper seed too, but I can't guarantee it as it is grown close.
Laurel

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link, Laurel. They have some neat species Oncidiums. I haven't had much luck with cattleyas. I see Colbert is close to Winterville, so a carpool would be good.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

beclu727,
I've never been there, but according to Google maps, it's only 11 minutes from where I live. I've been to Colbert a couple of times to a friend's house, but never really drove around the town. Didn't have a need to, but now that I know that Jewell's is there, I definitely have to make a trip out there. There's no reason why we couldn't include it in our plans for the day, or even have one carpool go to the Botanical Gardens and one to Jewell's. It will depend on interest and how many people we have involved.

JoAnn

Edited to add map link to Jewell from my house:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=260+Smithonia+Rd,+Winterville,+GA+30683&daddr=25+good+hope+rd,+colbert&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=33.976695,-83.276238&sspn=0.007438,0.013647&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=13

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 7:57 AM

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi TAT Road Trippers:
I'm not into orchids (thankfully there's some plant I don't 'need'!) so I'll stick with the Bot G plan if anyone else wants to go. Welcome to your DH Laurel. You are fortunate, like I am, that yours is interested in plants.

On another note, I am going to the Hall Co MG Expo Sept. 13 at Chicopee Woods. It's always been a good source for plants with about a dozen nurseries there.

Re: Trades. I would like to trade Hosta 'Wide Brim' for another named variegated one. Also to trade,
I have potted up natives: Blue Crested Iris (I. cristata), Rattlesnake master (Eryngium yuccifolium), and 'Henry's Garnet' Itea. Also have various named daylilies to trade for others: particularly seeking (a) lavender and (b) cream or pale pink w/most important: hot pink eye and/or trim.

Want (well, a million things): Boltonia 'Snowbank', New Jersey Tea, Jap. Anemone (other than 'Sept. Charm'), possibly other native shrubs and perennials (if I don't have it, I probably want it) :)

I'm looking forward to our trip! Pam

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Anyone else interested?

Pam, in the hosta dept. I have 'Francis Williams'. I also have very pure white with golden centers, signet (is that the correct term), not double, unnamed anemones. I looked up 'Sept. Charm' and they are not at all like mine. Mine were slow to establish and get more gorgeous each year. They are about five feet tall right now and about to bloom. Doesn't seem like the right time to be digging, but I could reserve a couple for you later on when they start to go down. They have formed a beautiful mass over the years.

I'd like to add some daylilies or iris that are natural looking, but varieties other than "ditch" lilies. I'm not interested in showy, high contrast flowers at this time. I also like anything that can compete with weeds for all my untamed banks..
Laurel

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel, will dmail you. Pam

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm trying to get a list together of some seeds I've harvested so far. I've been so busy with work, church, Civitan and city activities that I barely have time to come here and read the threads!
JoAnn

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

OK, here's what I've got so far:

Wheatstraw Celosia (Spicata Group)
Celosia argentea var. spicata
A wine color

Spider Flower
Cleome hassleriana
Purple

Lanceleaf Coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata
Yellow

Sweet William
Dianthus barbatus
Mixed Pinks

Blanket Flower
Gaillardia x grandiflora
Orange & yellow

Gerbera Daisy
Gerbera jamesonii
mixed red & orange

Morning Glory (small amount, maybe 1 or 2 trades)
Ipomoea tricolor
Heavenly Blue

Crepe Myrtle (Actually, these are still on the trees and pods aren't quite dry enough for picking, but maybe by the time we meet they will be ready)
Lagerstroemia
White
lavender
pink

Lily Turf
Liriope muscari

Balloon Flower (I have tons of these!)
Platycodon grandiflorus
Purple

Yellow Scabiosa (Lots of these, too)
Scabiosa ochroleuca

Lamb's Ear ( a few trades available)
Stachys byzantina

Vitex (chaste bush)
Vitex agnus-castus
Can be invasive in some zones

Muscadine
Vitis rotundifolia
Seeds from 2007 - Not sure if they're cowart cultivar, but they are large and dark purple. Made great jelly out of the berries.

JoAnn

I too am seed harvesting, so my trade amounts vary from one or two to many. I have...

FLOWERS:
Zinnias, Old Fashioned tall)
(mixed colors and forms)

Coccinea rubra, 'Texas Star'
Red Texas Star Hibiscus (perennial)

Cleome, pink
Spider Flower

Oenothera biennis
Evening Primrose (biennial)

Tagetes petula
French marigold

Ipomoea tricolor
Morning Glory, 'Heavenly Blue'

Vitex agnus castus
Chaste Tree

Ocimum basilicum var. thrysiflora
Thai Basil, Anise Basil

Eruca sativa
Arugula, Roquette

VEGGIES:
Tomatoes (open pollinated, fermented seed)...
Moscow Early , Hazelfield Farm, Yellow Pear, Eva Purple Ball, Amish Paste (1 trade), Maypop Yellow Cherry (mine), Arkansas Traveler, German Queen, Maypop Right Red (mine), Laurel's Lefty Red (mine)

Peppers (open pollinated)...
Jalapeno (hot)
Hot Cherry
Sweet Tollies (one small trade)
Amazing Laurel (mine and a sweet Marconi-type)
Tobasco (possible if seed ripens out in time)

PLANTS:
Oreganum vugare (var. rigani)
Greek Oregano

Ajuga reptans, 'Bronze Beauty'
Bugleweed

Galium oderatum
Sweet Woodruff

Calycanthus floridus
Sweet Shrub, Carolina Allspice.

Let me know.
Laurel

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Laurel,
I'd love to have some of each of your pepper seeds.

Thanks,
Joann

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm trying to save plants for the mini-RU on 11/8, but I have some seeds I can bring for this gathering.

Marigolds french type I think (I'm already bringing some for JoAnn, but I have a lot)
maroon/yellow
yellow

Garlic chives

Lemon basil

Daisy - unknown type - gets about 2 1/2 ft. tall (see picture)

I may have some others seeds if I have a chance to look through my boxes.

Laurel - I'd like some of your basil and chaste tree.

JoAnn - I'd like blanket flower, balloon flower and chaste tree.

Thanks, Becky

Thumbnail by beclu727

Becky, I'd love some of your daisy please. I'll continue to save seed for the mini RU and should have several more tomato varieties available. Gotcha covered on the basil.

JoAnn, I'd love some Lamb's Ear and you're on for the peppers.
Thanks.
Laurel

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All,

It looks like GGG and I will be in the area on the 24th to see the UGA trial gardens. Hopefully, we can meet up. :)

Danita

I would love to meet you both. If you and GGG would like a very rustic place to stay on Wednesday night let me know. I'd offer up Tuesday, but we won't be up there until then. Just a word of warning, we are not around the corner, but it is a nice country diversion and you need to know that we are under major construction because of the fireplace. We hae spare bedrooms and (most of) a second bathroom. DM if interested.
Laurel

BTW, we will need gas to get back up there. Without TV up at Maypop, and a pretty empty tank, we were puzzled about all the stations having bags over the nozzles when we returned. A phone call from DD in Washington, D.C. clued us in to the fact that Atlanta has no gas.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Not sure about gas in the Athens area. Around here it is hit or miss whether a station has gas or not - and what the price will be. The station we filled up at on Friday had no gas today. Hopefully they get deliveries on Monday around here. Atlanta also has high prices because of the shortage here.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Of course, our trip is dependent on the gas situation so we'll see what happens.

Thanks so much for the offer Laurel, but I think we'd need to drive home that night (if we even get to go!)

Okay, I've got gas (:>)) and am good to go. Will be off to Maypop tomorrow. Danita has my cell#. If anyone needs it DM. I'll be pretty busy 'til we meet.

I have been in touch with Dave, from Jewell Orchids. He will be there. I can carpool two in our van. The rest of the seats are out because we travel with a herd of animals.

Becky, I've also got the Vitex seed for you. Anything else anybody? Danita and GGG?
Laurel

Hey everyone, I'm mostly hoping there is gas to get us back home to Atlanta! I need to be at Holy Comforter in the AM on Thursday, but thank-you Maypop for the offer of giving us a place to rest our heads if needed.
I need nothing for my garden right now, thank-you. I don't have much garden going well....and there's all that land that needs working on this winter, so I'm limiting myself! Maybe some small shrubs while we are shopping and looking, a few herbs maybe but mostly I'm out looking for great ideas and a fun day with Danita - and hopefully meeting up with you DG folks!

GGG

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

We have gas in Athens and also here in Winterville. No problems getting any so far.

I have been so darn busy that I haven't had time to sort and pack any seeds, so I'm just going to bring everything I've got in a box and will bring some extra envies for packing up trades. I live just minutes from TAT if anyone needs to park their car for a caravan to other places like the Botanical Gardens or Jewell Orchids.

From TAT turn left and continue strait ahead through stop light. The road curves quite a bit and the speed limit is 25 mph. A cop usually sits up just past those curves so be forewarned! You'll see a yellow L-shaped building at the corner of Smokey Rd. and Smithonia Rd. I say that just as a marker to let you know my house will be the second one on the right probably an eighth of a mile or less ahead on Smithonia. It's tan and sets off the road and has a long driveway with two white lions right at the entrance. You can't miss 'em! I think I timed it once at about 3 minutes from TAT.

JoAnn

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 1:51 PM

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Danita & GGG,
What time were you planning to go to UGA's trial gardens? I've have never been there....don't even know where it's located. We're relatively new to the Athens area so there's a lot we haven't seen yet. How long is your drive back home?

We also have a guest room and separate bath....just in case anyone gets stuck here.

JoAnn

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I will see you all at TAT at 10. I'm bringing my truck w/camper top and jugs of water; loaded for shopping!
Pam

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey, all!
Just wanted to thank you all for the wonderful time we had yesterday with our mini RU! It was great to put a face with a DG name! Wasn't lunch fabulous?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I came away with a bunch of new plants. I brought home 2 stocks, 1 pink monarda, 1 purple buddliea, 1 stevia, 1 euphorbia (Rudolph...my Dad's name!) and 2 strawberry plants to replace the two that died, from TAT. I want to go back to get a muscadine bush for $8.00.

At Wolfskin Nursery I got a Eucalyptus tree and a purple passion plant. Sorry I did not make it to the Botanical Gardens, Danita and Glynis. How was it? Laurel and Becky...did you get any orchids? Actually, I think it was neat that y'all got to do what interested you most.

Pam and I found Wolfskin without any problems, but it was not what I had expected. When we arrived, we drove into the first entrance, which turned out to be just for wholesale and deliveries, and the only visible employee there directed us to the retail side, which was deserted. The young girl was very sweet, but spoke with a very heavy Hispanic accent and was barely understandable. She followed us over to the two huge greenhouses with a nice selection of plants except that a lot of the plants didn't have tags or signs. I wished I could have purchased a few more than what I got, but I wasn't sure they took credits cards. I didn't see a check out desk anywhere. The pricing was pretty good at $4.00 for a gallon-sized potted plant and I think $2.50 for the packs...correct me if I'm wrong on that, Pam.

So, tell me all...what plants didja get?

JoAnn

Hi JoAnn. Thanks so much for getting us all together. What a fun day! I have been busy all day planting and doing Fall clean up. The new lilies I got from Pam and the Cherry Stampede sage from Danita are looking happy (I remembered the name Danita). The Celeste fig is getting to know the brown Turkey fig nearby. It was great to meet GGG and share some tomato love and good stories.

Becky was pretty good at Jewell Orchids. She got some real beauties. I was petty bad and got some beauties too. I blame it on seasonal affect disorder. Got to have pretty flowers to ward of those Winter blues, right? Lets do that again sometime.
Laurel

Oh, I forgot to mention. We did find our way over to Athens recycling. I found the funkiest concrete urn...two smiling frogs hugging. Just what I was looking for to plant a months old gift from Cedar. I'll post a photo when it's planted. Then the guy said I could pick either a concrete wall shelf with an angel or a garden pineapple do da. I picked the do da.
Laurel

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I had a wonderful time yesterday at TAT and Jewell. Lunch was indeed fabulous, especially with the great company.

At TAT I got 2 kinds of salvia, an American beautyberry, some pansies, parsley and a caryopteris. I traded seeds with JoAnn and Laurel. And I also got a Salvia from Danita at lunch. Thanks so much!

At Jewell I got 4 orchids, all new kinds for me - 2 Encyclias, a Miltassia and a Tolumnia. Jewell is such an interesting place with all the breeding Dave is doing and the prices are really good.

I hope we can do this again.

Becky

It was so wonderful meeting you all (and some again!!). I had a fabulous time at lunch, what a wonderful spot the Marigold Cafe is and I'll be back there sometime, I hope.
We did not make it to Wolfskin but instead spent time at TAT since Danita had never been. I enjoyed the expanded plantings, and we each bought some lovely things. I got two figs, we both bought some purple salvias and I bought a few herbs and some red dianthus for the red/white/blue garden.
We spent a lot of time at the trial gardens where Danita was darned determined to find out just where Cuphea seeds form!! She took lots of wonderful photos and we learned so much about great cultivars of annuals. The Holy Comforter greenhouse will really benefit from this information next year!
Thank-you Danita for a wonderful time and great company, and to you all for hanging out at lunch!!

GGG

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorry I missed this, it would have been nice to get together.
Did you ever find out where the Cuphea seeds are???
I have been doing cuttings but only about a 1 out of 5 make it.

chris

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

It was a wonderful lunch with wonderful company! :)
Thank you so much for letting us join you!

At Randy's in Lawrenceville (in route to TAT) I got a pretty pale pink Abutilon. TAT had several nice salvias and I love salvias! I ended up with Salvia: chiapensis, 'Purple Majesty', greggii 'Lipstick', Vanhouttei, and a sad little 'Purple Pastel' which I got at a discount. I also got a cute little alpine strawberry. Yum! I really liked Thyme after Thyme both for their selection and the lovely way the plants were displayed.

The UGA trial gardens are a little hard to find. If you ever go, look for the Continuing Education building on the UGA campus and park in the South parking deck. Then walk across the street to Green St and go behind the dining hall. You'll see a large fenced area and the garden is in the sunken area between buildings behind that fence.

It was great to see some of the new hybrids that are being trialed. Gynis and I had to restrain ourselves not to pinch cuttings! I especially loved some new Salvias and Cupheas. I have a few shots of my favorite salvias on the salvia forum. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/906834/

It seems that Cuphea seeds form in the tube of the dying flower. If you see a shriveled flower with an inflated tube, it likely has seed. At least, that was the best that we could determine!

We wanted to join you a Wolfskin but it was getting late and we were afraid that we would miss seeing the trial gardens. Maybe another day...

Thanks Glynis and everyone for a fun day!
Danita

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I am going to check my cuphea tomorrow to see if I can find an "inflated tube" on any of the flowers.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's a neat new Gaillardia at UGA. After the flowers fade they leave a cute, eggplant purple, ball-shaped seed head.

Gaillardia aestivalis 'Homestead Purple'

Thumbnail by Danita
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Sure wish I could have joined ya'll. I know you had a good 'thyme'.. and I want to visit the uga trial gardens. Work just keeps getting in my way. Salvias are my latest 'addiction' lol

Elaine

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry you weren't able to make it Elaine. Salvias are my current "addiction" too but not the kind you smoke though! The hummingbirds love them too and found my new salvias right away.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes,, my hummers like black/blue and the hot lips. Me neither. Can't stand smoke..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.