Help needed for identifying this spathoglottis(?)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I just have 2-3 common varieties of orchids in my garden. Someone gave a 'bulb' of this to me some years back. I was surprised that this one turned out to be one that was not a repetition of the other two with me. Can someone help me identify this? The leaves were like the other spathoglottis plicata.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Denver, CO

S. unguiculata, perhaps?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Checked on google images... but all of them had flatish petals and none somewhat cupped like here.

Denver, CO

Indeed. We'll keep looking. Seems like I've seen that cup form somewhere, other than mine, which has a spotted lip.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

You are right James... I'll keep watching this thread. My random searches took me nowhere.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Blooming again. Here is a pic.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

One more.

Thumbnail by Dinu
north coast nsw, Australia

You sure it's a spath?it's not a Lycaste is it? Have you got any pictures of the flowers fully open? These pics seem to be only when there opening..is this why they look cupped? Do they flatten out with age?

This message was edited May 20, 2009 2:13 AM

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

The other spatho has the same type of leaves and all that. The pic posted on April 12 is the one when it is open maximum. It will fold up when it has finished and fall off after 2-3 days. They don't flatten. Yes, the first two pics are when they are still cupped. Thanks for any help breeindy.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

It so happened that the member 'ineedacupoftea' who posted above, in fact visited and took at look at that flower in 2010! What a visit it was from him. Am still looking for its ID.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.