Squash Beetles are everywhere!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Our squash plants were humming right along, nice big leaves, loads of blooms and little tiny squash. (the pumpkin too)
When all the sudden we were under siege... the plants were covered with squash beetles.
They have pretty much chewed into and destroyed 6 of our 8 plants.
We got 1 pumpkin, the rest of the plant is toast...
I went thought the plants and removed leaves or portions of leaves with eggs - I spray the plants down with water to shoo away the bees and good bugs. Because of the water the beetles all scurry to the top of the plant, then I douse them with neem oil. The next day, it seems that there is just as many as the day before - It appears after the fact methods don't do much good.

I mean golly-gee-whiz squash is suppose to be one of the easiest things to grow.

My question is more for next time. How do I prevent squash beetles?
How should I prepare my garden next year to at least keep these things at a manageable level.

Thanks
Dove

When the bug is younger it's a charcoal gray

Thumbnail by dovey
Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

oops here is the younger bug...
the above photo is when it's older - mind you this was taken this morning and I sprayed last evening. :-(

Thumbnail by dovey
NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Neem Oil or other horticultural oil will kill them but you must do three consecutive sprays three or four days apart because they are hatching to adults underground. This is about as good as you can do with a non-evasive non harsh spray. Follow the label which should tell you to do this early in the morning or late in the afternoon or early evening to avoid the high heat of the day. Spray stems and both sides of the leaves.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

OK, well I'll start a new spray program... but if I spray today and see more beetles tomorrow, should I go ahead and spray again... meaning spraying every day for several days?
(really I'm not this organically dumb, but these beetles are kicking my backside)

Dovey...........the answer is posted right above your question post.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
three consecutive sprays three or four days apart

Sounds to me like you're saying spay 3 times - 3 (or 4) days apart
That plan is not working... If I spray, the next day they are back...and the next and the next and the next.

These things are devastating, after some research this is what I found regarding organic control.

Organic Control: There are few if any effective organic control options for squash bug.
However, natural enemies of the squash bug include Tachinid fly, Trishopoda pennipes and Sceleonids, Eumicrosoma spp. These biological control options may prove useful.
Sabadilla may provide some control and is organic certified.

Apparently Neem Oil is not the answer.
But I have never heard of Sabadilla

I do appreciate your help Doc, at least I know now that I was doing what I could with what I had.
I'm seriously thinking I should remove the last of the squash just to remove their food source and start fresh next year.

If you get an effective spray on the adults and or the eggs either will be killed with any horticultural oil spray. It smothers both. One of two things is evident. Seems to me you are not getting effective applications for some reason only your observation must determine. I firmly believe from experience that your application top and bottom of the leaf and stem is missing part of the problem of adults and eggs or the application rate may not be to label instructions. We have killed both for years using oils. Neem Oil just happens to be what I think is best today.

On the harsh side of chemicals....Spectricide available at Lowe's or similar outlets will kill the adults on contact when label directions are followed. It is a contact killer and will get tomorrows new adults too. Apply two consecutive applications ten days apart. Apply on the top of the leaves if you are watering or it rains every five days. Then after you get over the ugly situation revert back to your Neem Oil.

Insects do not develop into super bugs when using horticultural oils or other organic choices.
Once you are losing a war...as you seem to be..... you may need to use a harsh chemical to regain control. At this point other organic practices are costly and usually do not have time to solve the problem of this day. Used as a prevent practice and placed in a timely manor works and they work well but it is sometimes difficult to do on small patches.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.