salvia splendens Tall Peach

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Has anyone else had the Tall Peach from seed revert to another color as Robin mentioned once?

Candor, NC

This is the one from Ginny Hunt? I have a rooted cutting that is showing dark purple, with a narrower spike, but this could be a mix-up amongst the cuttings, though I did not take cuttings of that color sage in that batch. I.ll have to grow it out and see for myself.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

No, not from seed. I picked up the original as a plant 2 years ago. My seedlings from the original have been peach, but I'm curious now since Robin mentioned the reverting. I have about 25 seed grown right now that haven't flowered yet, so will see what happens with this batch.

Keaau, HI

Hi,
I have the tall peach/pink from Ginny. It self sews freely over most of my front garden and has never produced anything different from the parents...dang! And the original plants have never done any reverting. I am going to try some of the other colors from seed and see if I get anything interesting.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Andy...self sowing is good to hear also. It makes me sick to hear of all of the stuff you've had to let go at your place!

Keaau, HI

Hi,
I am just doing the survival of the fittest....alot the stuff suffering from drought will recover when the rain hits. What really did in alot of tropical sages was the frost, but even many of them have come back and flourished. My garden still looks awesome...it needed some editting and mother nature has been happy to provide the means through drought and frost. It is all good....I now keep my thirstiest Salvia near the house and the perimeter ones are quickly becoming all drought tolerant ones.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

The good thing is that you find out just exactly how tough certain things are when you're in a situation where you can't give them the best of care. I've had situations (like moving) where I virtually yank things out of the ground and find that it didn't hurt them at all...or when I said 'cut back' only to come home and find that Jer interpreted that as 'dig out', and we're tallking about a large stand of Matilijas. I cired and yet they came back just fine....surprise.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Hello all. I don't know much about salvias, but I found this thread. I grew this from a seed trade from a fellow DG member and was going to add images to the plantfiles. Admin. told me there is no documentation of this variety, and I could find nothing else on a google search. Anyway, it is a pretty flower, whatever it is.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

That's a pretty one, fauna4flora, if you get a few seeds it would be great to trade with you.

Joseph

Sure, Joseph. Send me a Dmail and I will keep it in my inbox until the seeds are ready.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Looks the same as what I have, known as 'Tall Peach'.............

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

fauna, you didn't say what variety it is. I have S. Splendens "tall peach/pink" seedlings now I'm dying for them to grow up and bloom!!

Yes, it is 'tall peach'. I probably got the seeds from one of you guys! I guess the variety name is not recognized enough to make it a DG plant entry of it's own, but I am glad to have it.

Is there a database anywhere which categorizes by drought/rain tolerance...sun etc. I know some say full sun, but here in Central Florida, well, lets just say that Full Sun is too much sun ! I try to put them all where they get some shade at some point during the day...but I'm running out of spots...

My "Peach Pink" is blooming....grown from seed from Danita ( thank you danita I love this one ! )

Thumbnail by mjsponies
London, United Kingdom

This can be a stunning cultivar, depending on the climate. Heat and sunshine should be ok, but some moisture is essential.

Mjsponoies is truly lucky to have this in flower so early, mine, from seeds, is in full bloom in August and Sept. In a good year, this can grow to about 5 ft tall and 3 ft wide. Flower buds seem to droop before blooming, far more than the species, or 'Yvonne'....which may well be the splendens species. In England, for the last 2 years, we had abnormally cold summers, which definitely prevented splendens from achieving its magnificence. Hopefully this year, after a very warm spring, they will be superb, and very tall.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Mine have been in bloom quite awhile, though they're potted from last year and looking ragged. They were a bunch that didn't get into the ground and were held over the winter and will now get cut back and put into the ground.....hopefully...LOL...this week....

This was grown from seed...had no idea till wcgypsy's post as to what it was. I am more than thrilled. Yes, it does "nod"..or droop..and then lifts up as it opens. Have a lavender form which has not bloomed yet but has buds on it. Wonder if it will be similar, grown from seed also. So they all may be a bit different. Cuttings root easily, and am watching for seeds. Hopefully will have a nice long season with this. Some Salvia's bloom almost all year long here. I have "Yvonne" also, sown a bit later than these, but just about ready to transplant and put in the ground ( ok...gotta figure out a place, cause I've got a bunch to plant).

Candor, NC

n I had a small peach-colored splendens, a named variety (unknown by the person I bought it from), and kept it for many years. One year it did not make it, but a seedling appeared in the pot where I had set some of the seeds I had gatheres from the plant. It had come up lavender, and could have crossed with an x `Paul' lavender, which originally came from Barb Smith of Pendleton, SC, along with Paul and its other color forms, plum & light peach.

If you have only one form of splendens (including the vanhouttei forms), your seeds will probably come mostly true. If you have other color forms, expect lots of different colors, especially the original orange.

The nice thing about Yvonne's selection is that it is probably as close a reversion to the species, and has been selected for southern New England summers, which can get pretty hot and muggy.

I'm trying to keep the different splendens and greggis far apart, but it's getting a little harder to do as I get more of them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.