How is your PSA or that of the man in your life?

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

My PSA jumped and I had a needle biopsy to confirm prostate cancer. This has become a very educational part of my life.
Annually, there are more cases of prostate cancer in men, then there are cases of breast cancer for women.
The 5 year survival rate for both forms is almost 100%, if detected early enough.
Both cancers have multiple treatment options.
I am having a robotic assisted laparoscopic radical Prostatectomy. The da Vinci robotic platform will hold and manipulate all of the surgical instruments, while the surgeon operates from a sort of game console on the other side of the room. Like other laparoscopic surgeries, the incisions are small. Unlike other laparoscopic surgeries, the surgeon does not have to support and balance all of the tools.
I should only be in the hospital for one night and should be able to drive in 2 weeks. Except for heavy lifting for the 1st month, there are few restrictions.
I chose surgery over radiation because of the increased options afterward. Radiation generally will eliminate surgery as an option if it fails. The new technology available for the surgery reduces recovery time. It also decreases the risk of problems with incontinence or impotency (neither of which is a really big deal compared to dying from cancer.) The surgeons ability to see using a 3D color view of the area they are operating in is phenomenal.
I am the youngest of 3 boys. Dad had colon cancer. Eldest brother died of prostate cancer. Middle brother died of brain cancer. I guess I am the lucky one.

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!