Maple tree problem - lack of iron?

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

I have a red maple (acer rubrum) that I planted about five years ago. It is sort of healthy, but the leaves are light green with dark green veins. Toward the end of summer the very top branches lose all of their leaves and die back. The tree is in northern Michigan in zone 5. It's planted in full sun in sand with about six inches of topsoil. I organically fertilize the lawn and water with an automatic sprinkler system.

Last summer I took a couple leaves to the nursery and he told me that it was a lack of iron. I bought some iron pellets and spread them around under the tree. Then I did some research and learned that if the soil isn't acidic enough the tree won't be able to take up the iron, so I added some sulfur to the soil because a soil test told me the soil was slightly alkaline. The tree showed no change. This summer, a different guy at the nursery suggested using liquid iron, so I bought some of that and added it three times this summer. The bottle recommended a very dilute dose, so maybe I should have used more. I think it was about two tablespoons each time mixed with water. Still no change. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Top of tree:

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Whole tree:

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

It could be an iron defiency,but the tree could also lack other nutrients,especially if the soil is clay.I would use a complete tree food.
Lynn

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Lynn,

The soil is not clay. It's sand with about 6 inches of topsoil. I have used tree fertilizer stakes in the past, and have fertilized the lawn around the tree with Milorganite, Scott's lawn fertilizers, and for the last couple of years organic fertilizers. I'm going to spread some of my homemade compost around it to see if that helps at all.

Anyone else with suggestions?

Rob

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Do you remember the exact pH? Usually with a soil test you also get the amounts and kinds of nutrients to add to the soil to correct any deficiency or to raise or lower pH. A complete fertilizer which contains nitrogen in the form of ammonium sulphate would be the best fertilizer to use, but it's too late now because it would push new growth when the tree is moving nutrients from the leaves to the roots for winter dormancy. Ammonium sulphate is 21% nitrogen and is used on alkaline soil. You do not want to use a fertilizer which has nitrogen in the form of ammonium nitrate. Ammonium nitrate will make the soil more alkaline and iron less available to the tree. Check the labels on your fertilizer bags and see what you've been using.

Don't fertilize now at all. Compost certainly wont hurt but it wont cure this serious a deficiency. You could use soil sulphur on the ground under the root spread of the tree now. This would work down in the soil and lower Ph well in time for new spring growth. It is not a fertilizer. Then at leaf out in the spring out use an ammonium sulphate based fertilizer. This will be an annual task. Have you considered replacing the tree with one more suited to your native soil? The Norway Maples will tolerate your soil conditions nicely. I would recommend one of the following named cultivars:

Acer platanoides Norway Maple Alberta Park
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Cleveland
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Columnare Norway Maple
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Crimson Sentry
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Deborah
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Emerald Queen
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Olmstead
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Summershade
Acer platanoides Norway Maple Super Form

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
The Norway Maples will tolerate your soil conditions nicely. I would recommend ...

Definitely not!! Norway Maple is listed as an invasive weed in your area!

Resin

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

What's strange is that there are lots of wild maples in my back yard. They turn brilliant red in fall and I believe they are red maples too. In fact, I submitted a picture of a weird disease I had on one and someone identified it as a red maple:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/147124/

It seems like the same plant should do well in the front yard. My neighbor has one that looks exactly like mine with the same problem.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm sorry Resin, but the named cultivars on that list were chosen by the State of Ohio as best suited for landscape and street tree use and are not considered invasive.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Snapple,

They're deluding everyone, and very badly! In breeding behaviour, cultivars don't differ from the species in general.

Resin

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

This is the list of acceptable street trees for Plymouth Michigan:

http://plymouthtwp.org/Community/TreeCountyAcceptableAvoid.htm

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I should mention that the only purple leaved cultivars on the Acer platanoides list are 'Crimson Sentry' and 'Deborah'. Note that 'Crimson King' is not on the list. All of these named cultivars will give a good fall show. The most brilliant show (yellow) is produced by 'Emerald Queen', 'Olmstead' and 'Super Form'.

Rob,
The pattern of yellowing on the leaves suggests a magnesium deficiency just as much as iron.If the calcium/magnesium ratio gets out of balance it affects minor nutrients as well as tip growth on many plants.Zinc deficiency often causes black spots surrounded by yellow. A manganese deficiency also causes yellowing between the veins,especially if your soil ph is above 6. I am not an expert on trees,but it seems like they might react much the same as other plants.
Lynn

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 7:41 PM

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Lynn,
Thanks. I'll check into magnesium. Off to Google!
Rob

Ok Rob.In my area the soil is clay and Pin Oak trees have to be professionally fed every year or two,because our soil ph won't let them absorb iron.They look a lot like your maples if they are not properly fed.Don't forget to check manganese.It's not the same as magnesium.
Lynn

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

I found my soil test from 2006. Magnesium was in the optimum range. Phosphorus was high. Potassium was low. I added potassium that summer. pH was 7.3, but I've added sulphur around the tree to correct that. Calcium was 3777 ppm. The test did not include zinc, but the leaves don't have any black spots, so that might not be the problem. I should probably get another soil test from the ground right around the tree since I've added some stuff in an attempt to correct the problem.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The pH will definitely go back up over time if you don't continue to amend it so if you haven't added more sulfur since 2006 I'd definitely check your pH again.

I would check your ph and if possible take a few soil samples and have them tested by your county extension office.If I remember correctly,sulphur applied to the ground is not long lasting and needs to be reapplied on a regular basis.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

At pH 7.3 iron chlorosis will be a constant problem with any Acer rubrum cultivar and will require yearly attention.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Exact what does "applied around the tree" mean?
Tree roots extend at least the height of the tree (many times twice the height), and most likely in every direction. Did you apply enough?

If I remember correctly,sulphur applied to the ground is not long lasting and needs to be reapplied on a regular basis.

Can't say if this is really true or not, but most ground sulphur available is in the form of flakes, and takes years to completely assimilate into the soil. If you applied flakes, it will be relatively long lasting and slow acting. Flakes will take at a half a year to to have any effect, and if you just sprinkled them over the surface, figure 2-4 years.

Danville, IN

Michael Dirr's book, Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, says "...shows chlorosis in high pH soils, in the past this was thought to be due to iron deficiency, however, research has shown that manganese is the causal agent. (Right on the mark, Lynn!). John P.S. So how does one go about applying manganese?

Yes,it's true flakes can take a very long time to assimilate into the soil if just applied to the surface.It should be dug deep into the soil.You do need to be careful with sandy soils,however.It takes,in general,about half as much sulphur to acidify sandy soil as it does to ammend soils with a high clay content.Sulphur and iron applications are often done every so many feet all around the tree at the dripline,so it's very important to keep track of exactly how much you are applying.Even in sandy soils it does have to be reapplied,according to soil test results.Leaching also has to be factored in.
Lynn
Hoosier,posted as I was typing.My whole point is that all of the nutrients need to be in the right balance to significantly change the ph in such a large area as a trees root zone.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 3:37 PM

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's a source for an injectible form. Scroll down the page.

http://www.treerx.com/

Here is a second source.

http://www.treehelp.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=TR-PAL-FMn

I have no insight into the efficacy of either form. The injectable form sounds difficult to handle, but do the stakes work? Don't know.

Apparently manganese deficiency of Acer rubrum in soils with a pH > 6.5 has been known since at least 1977!

http://joa.isa-arbor.com/request.asp?JournalID=1&ArticleID=1445&Type=2

Of interest to me is that these OSU researchers also recommended that the soil pH be lowered to 6 to 6.5 for optimal results in addition to manganese treatment.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 4:58 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 5:03 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2008 5:06 PM

Thanks for the interesting articles Snapple!! It sounds a lot like what people in my area,including my next door neighbor,have to do to keep their Pin Oaks thriving in our clay,nearly neutral soil.She has to have a tree service come every year.They hang a tank on the tree and feed the entire rootzone area overnight and sometimes over a two day period.
Lynn

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

jugglerguy/Rob:

Makes you want to go back to school and major in chemistry, doesn't it?

You are getting most of the story here, about half of the time. The chlorosis evident in your photos and in the history of the performance of your tree (bolstered by the one soil test you've taken) can illlustrate pH conditions that are too high for Acer rubrum to absorb certain elemental nutrients necessary for basic plant growth. Iron (Fe) and manganese (Mn) are two of these that become unavailable to some plants in soils of higher pH. Of course, there are many plants that grow perfectly well in higher pH soils that need these same nutrients for basic plant function, and they somehow muddle through.

You've also noted existing "wild" maples on your property that are functioning fine. Here's a specimen in surroundings quite alkaline that is doing OK:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/178712/

This leads me to believe that although soil pH may not be optimum, it may not be the only (or even "the") problem. Without more history of this planting, I'll make some general suppositions.

You planted this tree 5 years ago. You water and fertilize regularly. It seems that this tree shouldn't be under any other cultural stresses. I'll ask some questions here, but I'll offer some pointed opinions about what may be contributing to your tree's lack of performance.

•Your tree should have basically smooth bark along the trunk that we can see in the photo. It looks like it may have some irregularities to the bark surface. Post some close up shots of that, and let us see if you might have some insect damage (flatheaded apple tree borers happen to love red maple) creating some difficulty in your tree's circulation system.

You don't have a mulched zone around the base of this tree. This isn't against the law, but it creates an area of potential damage when continuously managing turf directly adjacent to the tree. If nicked, abraded, whacked, or rammed, the generally thin bark on young red maples offers little resistance to intrusion by the pest mentioned in the previous paragraph.

•You didn't mention the condition in which you purchased and installed your tree. Was it balled and burlapped? In a container? Bare root? What size? I'm going to guess that it was about a 2" caliper B&B tree, which is a rather standard size to buy from a garden center. It looks like your tree is about 4" caliper now, which is reasonable size to get to in 5 years if it was doing all the work itself, and not being doted upon by a concerned owner. With the efforts you've given, it ought to be quite a bit bigger and showing far more vigorous branch growth too.

•You could very well have two different physical problems handicapping your tree. One is planting depth. I don't see a clear flare at the base of the tree, where the trunk meets the turf and soil level. This is still a relatively young tree, but this should still be obvious. If the basal flare is planted below grade, this often ends up being fatal to young trees, if not just a lifelong hindrance to vigor. The only real solution to this is to dig the tree up and replant it. That is a royal pain, as well as severe disruption to your property and an extensive investment in time and effort. There is no guarantee of survival, either, since you will essentially be re-transplanting your tree which is already under obvious stress. You may wish to just buy a new tree instead, if this is indeed part of the current problem.

The level of the basal flare is often hidden in the ball of the B&B tree when purchased, and if the purchaser isn't savvy to this, then the problem is compounded when taken home and planted with the top of the ball even with surrounding grade. This unknowing act stresses the tree further, because it now has a truncated root system in addition to a buried basal flare. Double ouch.

•The second hidden problem you could have is an inadequate or malformed root system, such as girdling roots. This is quite common on maples in general, and red maples specifically. It is not limited to container grown trees, either, but occurs rather regularly to field grown nursery stock. In this condition, the tree has roots that are growing in a circular fashion in close proximity to the trunk of the tree. As the tree's trunk and roots each increase in diameter with age, they inexorably come into contact. The circling root(s) create a barrier (a noose, in effect) to the trunk's ability to expand. This compresses the newest trunk growth layers, where the very important cambium layers of xylem and phloem are trying to transport water and nutrients within the tree. If it isn't immediately apparent to readers here, that's bad. If not corrected, the girdling root essentially chokes the tree to death (choking tree may exhibit chlorotic symptoms) and at minimum creates a very weak point at the site of the girdling, which may lead to sudden breaking when subjected to physical stresses like high winds or ice loads. Look for a trunk that meets the ground without any increase in diameter, akin to a post instead of flaring out into the various buttressing roots.

Here is a happy red maple - no girdling, plenty o' buttressing:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/178711/

It is not unusual for a sickly tree to be victim of multiple causal agents. This tree could be planted too deeply, have girdling roots, be infested with borers, and have soil pH that is out of its normal range. Simply applying various chemicals will only delay an inevitable result if these other insidious possibilities are not investigated. Worse, lots of effort on the chemicals side may create other unnecessary problems, like your lawn's performance in which you obviously have invested quite highly.

An additional round of soil testing would never be a bad thing. I'd suggest you do this over your entire property, so that you have a baseline of information that you can leverage against all kinds of future landscaping endeavors. Soil tests are really cheap investments with regard to payback.

If I am just Chicken Little and your whole red maple sky is not falling, then lowering the soil pH in the entire area that you expect to have this tree's root system exploit is the answer you seek. That means pretty much the whole yard on that side of the house, since red maples are large canopy trees that will reach 75-100' in height and most of that in branch spread. The root system will colonize every bit of that and more. It will also compete vigorously with your turf, once it hits growing stride, through moisture competition and relatively dense shade. Lowering pH is just the opposite of most recommendations for healthy vigorous cool season turf grass performance, too.

If I wanted to do this effectively and economically, I'd get the soil test first. To lower pH long term and low cost, granulated or powdered sulfur would be my first choice and applied with a drop spreader. If you manage your turf already, you are familiar with this apparatus. Additional cost could move you into the range of some of the iron sulfate products, which would supply other nutrients which may be missing. To create some more instant value, the water soluble product formulations are good but ephemeral as noted previously.

If this hasn't been enough of a Fay/Gustav/Hanna/Ike (approaching Katrina-esque) on your parade thus far...consider this last item.

What is the pH/alkalinity of your water source? Many gardeners subject themselves to repeated failures of planting efforts (especially with ericaceous species) because they do everything else properly, and never check to see that the water they religiously apply to the plants is undoing all their good work. It is truly amazing sometimes what is right under our noses, would t'wer we could but see.

If you are not interested in doing any or all of that, then maybe you should invest in a different species of tree that will perform to your expectations. And please - not a Norway maple. There are probably a dozen species I would recommend first, many on the link provided.

I'm surprised Resin hasn't jumped all over that MI website. It could stand a serious spell check...

Viburnum,
You have brought up so many relevant factors,but the bottom line is that if you want to grow ANY plant in less than optimum conditions major adjustments have to be made and more so with a very large plant,such as a tree.I enjoy the challenge of 'growing something different than anyone in my area',but it requires a lot of work and attention to every different plant and everything from micro climates to weather,stress,critters (I love that word),location etc, to do it sucessfully.I probably need a spellcheck too LOL.
Lynn

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Wow, thanks ViburnumValley! I'm not sure I like the thought of some of the possibilities you bring up, but thanks for the really detailed information.

Here are a couple answers to your questions:

The tree was balled and burlapped tree, at least 2 inches in diameter. I know more now about planting trees than I did when I planted it. I'm aware of planting depth and root flair, but I'm not sure I knew that then. It's dark out now, but tomorrow I'll go out and look at the base of the tree.

My neighbor has the same tree, planted a couple years later in a mulched area of his yard, surrounded by junipers and daylilies. His tree is suffering exactly the same way mine is. He would have purchased the tree from the same nursery, but probably had it planted by the nursery.

I'm not sure about the water I use. It's city water. I could call the water treatment plant and ask what's in our water. What would I be looking for? I'm assuming I'm looking to see if the water's PH is too high. What do I do if is?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Rob

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Having had my water tested here (and the results verified with the local municipal water treatment authority) the information may, or may not, be difficult to apply to gardening. ( I have an Amazon tropical biotope planted aquarium with Co2, pH maintained at 6.4, so understanding my source water was critical and I didnt want to use RO water if I didn't have to.) The water here is softened. Kh is 2, exceptionally low. pH, when the water first comes out of the tap, is an incredibly high 9. This "flashes off" in a couple of hours to 7.4 to 7.8. The high Ph is kept as a buffer in the pipes to prevent corrosion and is meant by the treatment authority to be temporary. This makes it difficult to get a low pH and bring the Kh up to an acceptable level for tropical aquarium plants.

So, how does this crazy municipal water affect gardening here? Not one whit, even with the high bicarbonate load. The soil here is naturally slightly acid (6.5) sandy. I have a twelve station irrigation system that waters by zones with different amounts at different times to the various planting beds. They are set up differently from the lawn areas. The soil test results here have not varied over the 9 years I've had the irrigation system. Because water is treated for human consumption all the minerals are usually removed, including manganese and iron. Even if the municipal treatment pH is high ( or above 7) it would not be likely to cause a long term significant problem. Now, if you had said well water, that would be a different story.

Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Alright, I just took some more pictures. First, here's the trunk of the tree in question:

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Here I dug some soil away from the base of the tree. I was starting to hit small roots, but I didn't notice any root flair yet. I suspect the tree is planted too deeply. I added compost all around the tree yesterday, so the grass is sort of a mess.

I walked down a few houses and took pictures of my neighbors' trees. I found three other trees in two yards within a short distance from my house. They all looked exactly like mine, discolored leaves and small dead branches at the top. I was going to post some pictures of my neighbor's trees, but I think you can just take my word for it. I'm pretty sure their trees would have come from the same nursery. It doesn't seem likely that they'd all be planted too deeply, but maybe they were.

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

Here's a tree that I dug up from my sister's woods about 20 miles from here. I think it's the same kind of maple. It's taller and growing fairly quickly. It's also has much less dense branches, probably because it was a 7 or 8 foot tall 1 inch diameter stick when I moved it. It was in the woods reaching for the sun. It's planted in a more natural area, so it doesn't get much if any extra fertilizer. I also think that it was planted at the correct depth since I dug it out of the ground myself and planted it myself. It is suffering from the same symptoms. I hadn't even noticed until today when I was looking for trees to take pictures of.

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
Alpena, MI(Zone 4b)

This is a naturally growing tree right behind my house. Its leaves are a nice shade of green.

Thumbnail by jugglerguy
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That's definitely planted too deeply. It's not uncommon, unfortunately. Sopmetimes when they are field dug and wrapped at the grower's field the soil often gets pushed up over the root flair in the wrapping process. The unsuspecting homeowner plants at the top of the root ball thinking that this is the correct depth. Or it may have been planted too deeply at the nursery. Your choices for remedys are few.

https://ohiodnr.gov/Home/urban/features/treeplanting/tabid/5462/Default.aspx

http://agebb.missouri.edu/agforest/archives/v8n2/gh1.htm

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

jugglerguy:

Ouch. The trunk picture looks like it is showing bark that has received numerous perforations over time. Red maples typically have smooth gray to silvery bark on this age tree. That bark is very rough in appearance, lichens notwithstanding. Most likely, that is evidence of borer damage. Couple that with the depth to which you have explored and still not found the trunk's basal flare, and you have a tree in a grievous situation.

You will find many small roots in the soil near the surface, especially if you irrigate regularly. This is normal for most any tree. These fine feeder roots are the ones doing most of the absorption of moisture and nutrients from the soil for the tree. They will absolutely colonize places that harbor moisture, whether that is soil, mulch, gravels, etc. These are usually annual roots that are regenerated each growing season.

I see two reasonable options for your situation.

One: continue to uncover the base of the tree until you find the trunk flare. You can do this by hand, being careful to not beat up the trunk any further than it is. If it is not too much further down, then you could remove soil in an area extending out from the trunk's basal flare several feet so that soil doesn't continue to settle back around the trunk and cover it up again. This may or may not work, depending on the ongoing health of this particular tree. It would be simpler than trying to transplant this tree and replant at the correct height. I think transplanting would just kill it from the stress of root reduction.

Two: You could plant a new tree (with all the proper precautions) and let it start growing while this tree is nursed along, knowing that it is not destined to be a quality member of your landscape. Treat the old tree with an appropriate pesticide to kill borers, and apply fertilizer to boost the amount of healthy canopy. Removal of the old tree when you are satisfied with the new tree's progress would be in order.

BIG CAVEAT: if you have flatheaded apple tree borers tunneling around in the illustrated tree, you are annually producing one nasty beast that will continue to want to infest other trees in the vicinity. If you want to have the healthiest landscape for red maples, don't keep unhealthy and impermanent trees around. This tack is similar to that recommended for infestations of DED (Dutch Elm Disease). If you keep a diagnosed and flagging tree around, then you are increasing the potential for spread of the disease to other trees by the vector that spreads the problem. Like a Typhoid Mary...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.