pruning trees

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

This spring I pruned some branches off my cherry tree. I used a hand saw and dragged the cut branches into a pile next to the compost bin, to be cut into smaller pieces for the compost or chiminea. Now it's September and the pile of branches is still there. I don't have the time to hand cut each and every branch into small pieces. I called a tree maintenance company and they wanted $450 to cut my branches up. What do you all do when you have large yard debris like branches and such? Does anyone use a chainsaw? I'm afraid of them but maybe I can learn to use one and then get a chipper...

Harper

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

If you can, are you able to dump them someplace? Or, to be more Eco friendly, how willing or able are you to cut them into sections? I have used branches in a compost "pile." I cut branches down from all the weed trees that were here before I moved into this home, and cut them into about 2-3' sections, placed them on the ground, and just kept dumping stuff on top. I made an impromptu compost pile...it took about three years, most of the smaller than 1/2" in diameter pieces were gone, some of the larger ones where still there, but that is a thought. If you can, see if any local rental places have a portable/electric chipper. There are smaller units that can only take up to 1 1/2 - 2" in diameter pieces, but if you could do that, there is instant mulch for yourself. I rented one at my parents house, about 7 years ago, and I think for 8 hours it was $60-70 bucks...I was able to get a lot done in the time frame, and I shredded up some leaves while I was at it.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

That's small enough for my town to pick them up and chip chip them.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We have a mulcher/shredder thing that hubby uses.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Harper - We bought a chipper last year to get rid of ours and we're going to start composting them along with leaves and grass clippings. We tried to rent one instead of buying, but no rental company in our area rents them anymore - too big a liability. My DH runs the chipper and even though I do some crazy things I wouldn't touch a chipper with a 10 foot pole (or should I say branch?) That's not to say you couldn't run one. I just have someone who's willing to do it and I let him!! I used a power circular saw and made trellises last spring and I never thought I'd be able to use a saw. I couldn't get DH or DD to make the trellises for me, so I did it myself. If I didn't have someone to run the chipper I might get desperate and do it myself - if I wanted the job done bad enough. If you do use a chipper, be careful cause they are very dangerous (and loud)!! Eleanor

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you have a smoker? We save fruit woods for grilling and smoking. You could probably Craig's List them in a food section and have someone haul them off. We smoke with pear and apple wood. I'd love to try cherry wood.
L

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the smoker works for me... cherry is good Laurel

Craryville, NY

Sof: I would love to take them off your hands if I had a way to haul them: we want to build a low border fence with waste like that for the climbing roses!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

$450 to cut up that little pile - i'm in the wrong line of work!! here you can burn in the spring after getting a permit from the fire department. i'd get the marshmallow's ready.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

What about buring them in dirt to make a raised bed? The bed will sink a little as they compost. Actually I have been taking whatever is left in my funky, throw everything in, compost pile in the Fall and piling dirt over it and making new raised beds for a couple of years now. Almost out of places for raised beds. . .

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, that does seem like way too much to charge for that little pile. In our town, we can either hire someone to come chip it up or haul it away, or we can take it to the town dump on Saturdays, which is what we do since my husband has a pickup. I think they compost all that stuff there...there is no trash there, it's like a recycling place or something for yard debris and fridges, lol. We've made a ton of trips there this year.

Some people burn it up, of course, but we don't have large enough property to do that.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 9:24 PM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hope you get some of that great fridge compost!

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

LOL Victor. I hear it's good stuff! There is literally a giant pile of brush, and then a separate giant pile of large appliances and that's it. I guess we are supposed to bring our leaves there too, cause I have never seen bags of leaves out on the curb. That's probably why so many people here have those yard crews come clean up their yard...they take it all away with them. I manage to find uses for our leaves.

New Boston, NH

We have an area at the property line with my neighbor and I keep a fairly large brush pile it is surprising how the small winter birds enjoy the shelter and perch.
Peter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.