New Bed

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I started this, because the insurance dude said my DH can't store the wood there only more, only been there 20+ years never said anything before. Was time for a change anyway. Brain went into action. And had all them Dahillas to plant not counting the Irises Too ^_^

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

So we cleaned it up.
Tilly supervising the work.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Cherry tones at the ready.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Now to lay them out and to start the project. Is there something I'm missing? Mmmmm

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I just can't put my finger on just yet, I know there is something else I have to do.?????
This bed will be 40' long 2' wide and the height not to sure yet.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I know now
Need to clean the gutters. Before I do this, I hate doing that. But the is one more thing.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We have to wash it, Thats it.
He did the top, I did the bottom. No-way will I get on that ladder.
And that is a bad pic, Sorry.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Gutters cleaned, house washed.
Time to start
Laying it out.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Sassy walking it off to make sure of the length.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Checking it out. "Hey Mom" Can we dig now?

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

The soil has arrived, Looking at that, and thinking I have to move it, Made my back start hurting before I even started, and remembering all that dirt at Rach's.
O MY
See all the Dahlias jumping for joy, in the back ground. ^_^

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 12:23 PM

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Digging in. He has way to much fun.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Bed is ready, now to plant them. First see if they all will fit. All but 2. That dang stump is in the way.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Another angle

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Made rings to go between the Dals for the Irises.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Another angle. A Dal waiting on my funky barrow table, to be planted

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Irises are in.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Soaker hose in place.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

The finishing touches, Bark and pebbles
I had help with this. Cheryl (Peaflowl) was over Yesterday and help me divide some DLs and help me do the bark. Soooo Thank you.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 12:57 PM

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Almost complete.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Another angle, More to come later, have another surprise to add.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

You would think She did all the work. Ha Ha

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Tills!! Great pictorial! - tell DH that he is a good good guy, xo for him! And it looks terrific, especially with help from Peafowl - hurrah for the new dahlia and iris home! Oh, yes, and to miss sassy, well paced - that's so funny, love when she made herself the marker sitting on the fence "okay, another one in heeeerrrrrreeee".

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

DH is working on it now, will have Pics soon.
So thank you Carla, for teaching me. LOL
Thank you also Laurie, you are a insperation to my dreams. LOL

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 6:36 PM

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That is some new bed. Looks great and I love the iris rings with the pebbles. Good team work.

Is there a reason for the iris rings other than they look good. I have to say that 3 of four of mine have disappeared - so I think a bit more instruction may be needed.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Simply wonderful new garden area Tills!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Laurie. The Iris do not like bark on them, thats why I made the rings.
Have you dug up where they where? Maybe planted to deep, just bury
the roots leave the rhizome above ground.

I'm working my way around to the space they are/were planted - didn't quite get that far last weekend, and at a distance I'm thinking "I didn't see....". Need to get to them tomorrow and dig around a bit - I will report back. I fear they are actually gone in to plantie heavan.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is the Suprise, Don't know how many remember my bird houses, well have found them the perfect home. This is what my DH did for my B-Day. found them this morning. He told me when I did this, and after I was done, Said I will have a suprise for you.
Too Cool

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Tilly, that looks really great! Just think how beautiful it will be in the spring. I love the bird houses.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Close up.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

O Holly so happy to hear from you, how are things?
So happy, and yes for spring to come and see all the new Irises in life, and not a pic.LOL

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

wow tills! great job!!! I love the bird houses too! wonderful idea 9and I may just borrow that idea! lol)

so why the pebbles in the iris bed? is it better for them? just wondering cause I'm getting ready to plant my iris...all 150+ of them.... and thinking maybe I should do pebbles as well. do they do better in rock garden? (I have tall bearded iris) any help is greatly appreciated :oD and now I have an excuse for putting of planting one more day! lol! gotta wait for my 'experts' to respond! LOLOL!

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Tills - Looks fabulous! What a job you and your dh did! It's looking great!!! Love that cherry wood! WOW! For a garden bed no less ... I couldn't touch the price of that here! LOL!

I was looking at your gorgeous Dahlias. I, too, am a Dahlia fan. But mine don't look bushy like yours. Mine have branches that just kinda flop on the ground. What am I doing wrong? If I even brush up against them, the branches break. Do I just have some whimpy Dahlias or do I need to do something to make them more sturdy and bushy?

I love your soaker hose idea too! I should've done that with some of my beds! You put a lot of thought and planning into your garden bed. And the birdhouses top it off very nicely! Looks awesome!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

becky dont feel bad! this is the first year I have tried dahlias and mine too just flop! ugh! love the blooms, but dont want any blooms on the ground! ugh!
tills do you have to stake your dahlias? and if so, what do you use?

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Anjl - Maybe that's what I need to do ... stake them. I absolutely love those huge blooms that I get on mine! They make a great cut flower for a vase! Too bad they don't have a fragrance.

It looks great! Kudos to dh again for lending such a helping hand and doing the guy work. Hope he helped save your back. That's going to be one great garden bed next year. Miss Sassy knows her job, doesn't she?? Got to love that kind of help.

Tills another big kiss and hug for husband - what a guy!! Really one of the best birthday presents ever. WHAT A GUY! (Sofer, are you watching this for hunny bunny - share and enjoy).

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I have to take a Bow here. (doing it now) . But I have to give all the credit to all of the great pic's from all of you of your yards there put the ideas in motion. And O I can not forget about all the plants that I have recived from some of you. You all are the Greatest, so glad I join DG.
^_^
Becky. These poor things have been stuck in pots since, Spring LOL
They where very happy to get out. And yes they do get floppy. Next year before they start to grow I am going to take the tall tomato cages, Turn them upside down (big end down) then cut the tines off, bend into a hook and use them to stake it in the ground. Saw this somewhere on a site can't recall which one.

Anj, Laurie ask the same Q, go up some on tread. They do like rocks

Laurie, this is what my Bro did for me, Took the new toy out. Works just great I got to have a little time with it LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.