you are looking good
nice weather is coming now
hope to see you at round up
elle

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Ellie,
I am not coming for RU this month

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I wondered if any of you ever go to the National Federated Garden Club day at the State Fair ??? It is no real big deal but it is part of seniors day at the fair. A plant and flower show is what it is really all about. It is not like most flower shows where you have specific plants judged. It is kind of on the low key side. Our club here took 78 ribbons. this year 29 1st ,30 2nd and 19 3rd. I and my wife won 4-1st, 2-2nd and 3-3rd. out of the 11 samples we entered. We enter every year because it helps the locale club with a grand prize they can be awarded at the state convention. But like I say it is low keyed. Nothing like the intensity of some of the Hosta or African Violet shows I have seen.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I just done my big bedroom and I made homemade curtains which southwestern style color...
So, I have 1 more curtains to make...

I final done paint in bathroom but still working on wall for tiles and shower plastic walls...

I has been hard time with my phone connect was off and on... So, repair phone man came out today and fix the phone connect back on...

This message was edited Sep 7, 2008 8:24 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I just walk around my back yard and notice the plant which it has like berries...

What is name of this plant?

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

That's Poke Weed. You can put Poke weed in your search engine & it'll bring up info about it. I let it grow a couple years & now they are coming up all over.
Here is a link to one of them. http://www.altnature.com/gallery/pokeweed.htm

Caution is advised as the whole plant, but especially the berries, is poisonous raw, causing vomiting and diarrhea

Jan in Central Illinois

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I think it is Poke Weed. Birds eat the berries in the winter so please leave them there. There is heated debate on whether they are toxic to humans. I have heard that 3 berries can kill a 30# child. However I have also seen recipes for and attempted to make poke berry jelly. Only once. It didn't set and it stunk up the house terribly. The tender young leaves can be eaten by humans. Mostly in the spring and early summer months. You can cut them off anytime tho and get new tender shoots. They spread not only by seed which is in the fruit but also by roots. Large plants can have root systems that rival a good size dwarf tree. My infamous root killing mix will usually kill them out but you may have to treat a large root stub more than once. Always cut a little bit off to give access to fresh tissue.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Rusty, I like your curtains, so pretty! You are one busy gal! Sorry you won't be at the RU... we will miss you. Oz a BIG Congratulations! On all your and DW's ribbons! I'm not in a Garden Club, maybe I should start one in my little town.... I think I would probably enjoy the low key show more than the big extravagant ones.. Are you making it to the RU this month? I hope so, I need someone to tease me. lol Okay, on the poke weed.. I had a strange plant coming up toward the edge of the cedar trees in back... I left it grow to see what I had and it is Poke weed. It got big and kind of leaned out into the yard, and now I've been mowing around it.. I will leave it for our feathered friends. Evamae, maybe you would share your infamous root killing mix with me?? I've been chasing trumpet vine around here for years... not that I want to kill it all, but the ones IN my hosta beds are a pain to keep up with. If they would just stay on the fence providing shade we would have a great relationship, the hummers love their blooms.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Mix equal parts Tordon RYU & diesel fuel. Apply to the freshly cut stump on both ends if you leave a vine hanging. It is better to go back in a few days, cut another thin slice off the stump and apply a new dose to the stump.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I've been wandering around wondering where i belong, Think maybe i belong here.If you'll have me. I live on a mountain in NW AR. (Ozark NAT, Forest) Z6. Have 30 acres of land in a small cleared area at the end of a forest road. forest land mostly hardwood. 2 dogs, only close neighbor is my DD. Love to garden. But have slowed down to container gardening.

Have eaten many a polk sallet spring greens. Always parboil in two different waters before i cook it with bacon or scrambled eggs. And only pick the young leaves in early spring. I'm just getting a good start of plants up here.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Vickie

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Thank! Vickie... I never touch this plant that I got accident pull it out and it was in my yard so other one is in my property dead tree area... So, I never try to eat it because of my Ulcerative Colitis...

I leave it alone for birds for winter sooner and I brought some suets for birds so I figure thinking way to make some homemade suets and save cost of living for winter sooner to stock it up again... Everything I learn to see and what my mom taught me before she gone... So, I have to make sure it right thing to do for my living...

I has been doing paint small birdhouses and some cabin birdhouses...

I am now resting and getting sooner as I gonna make pumpkin muffins...

Rusty getting lazy and cranky... but waiting for me to outside for play his plastic juice bottle... He is so active and run crazy!

Hope Pepper get better for her eyes and computer...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Cute birdhouses, Rusty. Will birds actually build nests in such colorful houses? I have no experience in this area so I have often wondered about it. Even as just decoration they are cute and worth having.

Vickie, this is exactly the area of the country you are in. So welcome to the Central Midwest forum. I cook poke greens once or twice depending on the size and age of the plant and the season. I usually use chopped onion and some chopped ham with liquid smoke in the last water but bacon does sound good.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Rusty, I have a lot of things birds like to eat around. Wild flower seeds,wild grapes,huckleberrys,blackberrys,muskidines,sourgum berries,and wild cheeries. In the dead of winter i make a mixture of cornmeal,lard and oatmeal and anything else i can find to throw in to spread on tree limbs.

Love your birdhouses. You add a lot of detail. I know of at last one fancy birdhouse a bird nested in a couple years ago for my neice in ETX.

Your pumpkin Muffins sounds good. You must have a very active child around. I remember chasing after mine a long time ago.

leaflady it's good to run into you again. I guess you got all those apples and grapes taken care of.

I transplanted daylillies into pots again today. Have more to do tomorrow,plus gather seeds before it rains this weekend. Want to start crocheting potholders for DD
next week. This weather is beautiful now, We had highs in the 60,s today. Dogwoods are starting to turn and a few goldenrod are blooming.

leaf, i think of your God Bless you sometimes during the day. So here's a God bless you back.
Vickie

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Birdhouse : I use for my home only not for bird nesting house... If I can make birdhouses which I find woods in Yahoo Freecycles... (Good Ideal to find for free what it needs around homes.)
I brought birdhouse at Michael's Craft Store also sometime at Wal Mart...

I don't know for sure about paint color of what bird avoid I would say not paint wood I just leave that way is birds like...

Someday, If I have time to make some bat house and butterflies house pattern...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, the grapes are gone. I gave the last of them to a friend. At least I think she got all of them. But the apple tree is still ripening. We just picked that one branch to keep it from breaking. I took quite a few to work yesterday for others to enjoy. Most just take a couple as most of us are alone. Some are couples and they take enough to make a pie or just eat for a couple meals. Several of us at lunch yesterday agreed that we like fried apples.

Pepper called yesterday. They still think it is the hard drive but want to do a couple more tests to be absolutely sure. If it is the HD, she will at least get a new one, but may go on & buy a whole new computer. But she wants to make sure she can stay with XP. I did the same thing. My son Kyle says Microsoft is saying that in the near future they will stop making updates for XP and force people to go to Vista. Most people I know who have Vista now say it is hard to get around in and not worth the trouble. I know nearly all new computers have Vista on them already. But if XP is working for us now and we don't run into problems needing updates we can still use it for years. He is the same way with Millinium. It has been replaced but it does ok for him with his older games so he still uses it. But he can't buy most newer games because they aren't compatable with it. But his old games that he really likes aren't compatbile with Vista.

It isn't as chilly this morning but is more overcast. I have so much to do today but don't really feel like doing much. I think it will be somewhat of a day of rest.

I noticed we got more rain last night. How much I have no idea. It all has soaked in well. I need to have Kyle move the rain guage for me. Jack has it well staked in the middle of a flower bed where I can rarely see it except in early spring when there are no plants to block the view. Some rain is predicted all the rest of this week and all weekend. Not from Ike tho until Sunday I think. The rest is from some other storm between the other side of TX. I haven't had the ACs on for days except to pull in fresh air. Some of them will do that, others won't. I think I'll open the windows today. Sometimes I just leave both front and back doors open. The cats and dogs love that. lol.

The mother hen with 10 or so baby chicks still refused to bring them into the bird house and by yesterday afternoon when I got home was trying to just set out close to the pasture with them. So I spent about 30 minutes or more trying to get them all into the building and locked in the back part of the building. Large combination storm door there so there is lots of light for them. I ended up catching the hen first, then the babies a few at a time as they ran frantically around the building and bird yard. They are going to have to stay in that pen in the building for several days until they learn that is where they are to live at least at night. I always have some feed in there so when I let them out of the pen they will hopefully have realized other birds eat in there as well as outside. Keeping the pigeons from eating all the feed is the biggest problem I always have with hens and chicks in the pen. Some of the pigeons will try to take over the feed and water instead of eating with the rest of the pigeons at other places. sometimes I have to make a covered pen in there to make sure the babies get enough to eat. Even them there are always a couple pigeons who are determined to get to that feed. I killed one for it last time. It got way too aggressive and stubborn to put up with.

The flower bed I got weeded and mulched on Tuesday afternoon looks great but I am still paying for it. I still need to remove the weeds from around it so the seeds will not repopulate the bed. The wind and birds can easily carry them right back to where they were before. I have a very large weed pile in the back yard I will burn as well as some barrels nearer the flower beds I burn in when the weeds in it get dry enough.

I got the gas line and gromit(?)on the top of the fuel tank of the Stihl weed eater with the metal blade replaced yesterday. The line is maybe 6" long, the gromit maybe 1/2" wide. It must have taken all of 5 min. to do the job and it all cost me $20. But at least it is done and I can safely use the weedeater again. The gas leakage was a big danger issue & has kept me from using that weedeater most of the season. The metal blade can cut thru the tall grasses at ground level and not get the grass so tangled up on the shaft like the other weedeaters do. It can also take down large thick & tough stemed weeds the others can't handle. I have 3 weedeaters and a use for each of them.

I need to go and get something done today. Please pray that I find a check I have mislaid. I had it until day before yesterday and when I needed it yesterday I could not find it. I know it must be in the house somewhere, but where is a big question. I thought I knew exactly where it was but it isn't there. I can get it replaced easily but that will take a few days and I'd like to get the tasks done now.

GOD less and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Couple days ago, I was working back yard of the deck and I just put the red brick around roses...

It's pretty neat! Also, I did remove the bricks on front yard that it keep weeding about 2 times. So, I did it and let yucca grow again and blue spruce pine tree also 2 iris' , too....

This message was edited Sep 14, 2008 8:48 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

My MSN2 has bit the dust and am on DD.s computer. Guess i'll have to break down and get another one. Am thinking about getting the new Google Browser. If it don't cost too much. May be off line for awhile.
Vickie

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Vickie, I'm sorry your computer has died. Mine was rebuilt several months ago so I'm up to snuff as much as I need to be for now. I insisted on keeping XP since I know a bit about getting around on XP but nothing about Vista and no one to help me.

Almost constant rain all the way from just a drizzle to some pretty fair showers today. Tonight will probably be the same. And Ike isn't thru yet.

Our oldest DD called from Houston. She says what is happening is nothing compared to what happens in VA where she lived for several years. And will probably be where she goes back to in a couple weeks. But in VA the people have or get generators and Texans where she is anyway don't. At least I know she is ok.

Several years ago when I first retired we had a small crafts bussiness call Ozarkian Creations/ Birdtown USA. I have made hundreds of bird houses. From large Martin houses down to minatures for mantels plus several models of houses house boats,buildings and even a couple of restaurants that we were commisioned to do. I have not made a bird house in at least 5-6 yrs. A lot of ours went to collectors. We have owners of our birdhouses from California to Germany that I know of.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone, EvaMae, so glad you know DD is safe... the winds from it hit my house early Sunday a.m. and blew all day... tipping plants, mangling blooms and causing general havoc out there... Oz, I hope you are coming to the RU, I used to build birdhouses and sold at craft shows, but not on the scale or quality you did... how fun to know some made it clear to Germany! Cool.
EvaMae, is Pepper's puter still down? Poor gal, I wondered if I could do anything at this point to help with organizing the ru.. maybe I should just call her, I think I have her# in a dmail... I've been lax at checking in over here.. maybe I should just look at the ru threads first, maybe she's posted on them.. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone on the 27th.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

She is suppose to get a totally new computer this week. When the power supply went out it fried everything in the computer. Like most of us, I think she is more or less waiting for a payday. Just a guess of course.

I know the RU is just 10 days or so away. I think she has everything under control as long as we all do what we said we would. I'll call her tomorrow night if I remember it. I'm buying the chicken and potato casserole makings Friday after work. Or should I do potato salad? If I do the salad I don't peel the potatoes so will that be ok with everyone? I could mash them and make mashed potato salad which is really my favorite. Then you wouldn't even notive the peelings if I use a russet or some other light colored skin potato.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Tell Pepper need to outlet plug for her computer that won't get fried again! I has once before...

I went to Monett, Pierce City and Sarcoxie yesterday and Monett has some good crafts "The Wood" Store and Antiques Mall down to South 37 as turn the curve see sign on left very nice and clean Antiques Mall and I went to Pierce City first before I go to Monett after that so, I stop at Pierce City which it hit tornados there and rebuild Quilt Store and Antiques Store and I notice oh wow! huge 3 foot of grizzly bear trapper for a Thousand dollars! Eh! I was not thinking of that trap to take pic of it next time I go back again some day... I stop in Sarcoxie Antiques Mall and there is all kinds junks hot stove heaters and some old gardener tools, washer tub no stand, alot of wood tools and some old mill saws... There is pretty cost....

I just have a good fun shopping for quilt store is best in Pierce City...

Here's Monett:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am back finally!! I got a new computer and it arrived today. Am online though I have to have some little things done on here to make it run better. But so far I am liking it.

Bad news is I no longer work for PG. I will be a volunteer there again though. That will be better in the long run. :~)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I notice something bugger me which it long look alike stick bug! I see the mouth is like ant...
It 5-1/8 inches long.

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It is a walking stick. No relation to the praying mantis. These things eat foliage, preferably of trees. Just kill everyone you see. I usually cut off each end with my loppers or scissors because I can't tell for sure which end is the head unless I get too close for comfort and study it a bit. Even then I'm never really sure half the time. I hate the things and no longer have the population of them we use to have since I have killed everyone I see so they can't breed.

Humansville, MO

here some picture of the festival
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Humansville, MO

here one
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's what I got this and having Pierce City Garage Sales tomorrow...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Guess what today, I become step grandma that has born on 16th it's girl, 6 lbs. 19 inches at 3:12 pm her name is Saraya Annmarie... So, I have now 2 step granddaughter and 1 step grandson...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Congratulations, Rusty. I'm sure you are a proud grandmother. Who really cares if it is step or blood? I have some of both as well as some just by association and we love them all the same.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It step-son...He is half white and half black but he look like mexican...His real mother is black and white (black) so he was 4 or 5 yrs old took away his father (my ex-husband is deaf white) I got divorce in 2002
(Happen is he got another woman in that time twin towers hit by airlines that day)...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Rusty, I too have some mixed race grandchildren. My first husband, the father of my oldest DD, was American Indian/German. Then she married a man who is black & cajun(French/American Indian according to his family).So he is white, red, & black. We have jokingly told her children to marry Orientals and those children will about as 'other' as they can get. lol.

We helped to raise those grandchildren and love them dearly.

Sedalia, MO

What a beautiful little girl! Know you are proud grandma.
congratulations to you and the parents.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have 1 brother who married to Korean and got 1 girl and 2 boys so I am Aunt for them...

I am part of Native American, French, Irish, Canada, England and German... (6 mixed in my blood which I m easy hot temper!)...So, Yes, I m proud grandma and teach them to do the right thing...

Leaflady---I have 2 black grand niece 1 black grand nephew and 2 chinese nieces. I never really think about it. To me I try to keep the idea in the front that they are American. They are faced with so much turmoil in their future there is no room for division. What i worry about for them is what kind of life there will be for them.

Humansville, MO

what the differed all kid are love by me
thay are the world of tomorrow
god bless them all
elle

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It's 21th Century now to changes....God's will...

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Something ate my Hens and Chicks plants!! It bored into the roots. I am assuming it was grubs. I am a little disappointed though.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

That's what's I was trying to say. It makes no difference what race or nationality a person is, we are all Americans. What makes me angry is the way this nation bows to all the people from other nations. Schools must hire extra teachers to speak their languages, all public places have signs posted in at least one if not more languages than English, etc. Try going to another nation and insisting they give us special privilages because we don't speak their language or know their customs and laws. Illegals have more rights than we do in many instances and now they want the right to vote in this country!! Ok, I'll get off my soapbox before I get in trouble with admin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.