What's on Your Trail Camera?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We have bear photos and turkey and deer on ours, what have you gotten on your trail camera? Aren't three cubs unusual?

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And turkey, how many?

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And a spike buck

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And a few more deer on the trail

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And out in Aurora Ohio Tim got these bucks on his trail camera

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Nice racks in Ohio

Thumbnail by haighr
Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice photos, haighr ...... I guess there are not too many DG members that use trail cameras for hunting purposes, or for sheer pleasure.

Anyway, my son has a camera set up in his backyard for pure enjoyment. To date, he's gotten lots of photos of deer and a few pics of raccoons and fox. This is a photo taken earlier this week around 7:45 p.m. A nice 10-pointer. Several other buck have been around but not this big.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2008 5:32 PM

Thumbnail by linthicum
Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. All I ever got on mine besides my on chickens and guineas, are racoons and opossums. I have only used it around the house to see what was eating my chickens are canteloupes though. Don't believe there are any bears in Texas. Thanks again, Mike

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

lin, would love to see him on the camera at the cabin. Did get this one of a bear in with the spike and doe.
excel, did you ever figure what ate your chickens? surprised you don't have some big deer there in your part of tx.

Thumbnail by haighr
Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Lost most of my adults to owl's, hawks and coyotes. Lost some babys to snakes and a feral cat. I saw one buck about 100 yards from the corner of my property a year or two ago and there is a dead dear by the road about a mile from here, but that is all that I have ever seen within 5 miles, though my wife has seen some and my kids saw some when they lived here. I like to see wildlife, when they are not eating my stuff. We lost a couple of cats to predators, one of which my youngest son is convinced an owl took it, I think he is probably right, but coyote is a possibility.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Wow, you have some nasty critter problems. We lost a pet piebald deer at our cabin to a coyote. Sounds like you have a number of problem critters.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Those are all great photos! The momma bear with the cubs is my favorite though. Such adorable, little cubs.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks scutler, it is a cute photo, but sure don't want to meet up with her next weekend when hunting.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I too like the cub picture the best.
I am sure she will stay away from you while hunting. But I know you will be carefull.

Good luck and tag the big one.

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

We caught this one of a Gray Fox at a deer harvest site. But what are the two glowing eyes on the left? I can't see a body. Just eyes. :o

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That is a mystery pic creek, could it be another fox stalking low to the ground?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

or a kit

I don't know? It could be. Maybe it's a kit? I just thought it was probably the most interesting of our trail pics. It seems like you can see leaves all around that second pair of eyes. That they are farther apart than the fox's eyes and less bright? Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to get other opinions. :-)

haighr, not to change the subject, but I have been researching my Dad's ancestors who came from Hagerstown. :-) They were said to have lived near the Antetiam(sp?) battleground and left Maryland due to the war that broke out there. I would LOVE to go there someday, but unfortunately, it's too far away.

scutler, you could be right! :-)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I delete all my trail camera pictures. Now I wish I would have saved some. The most interesting was one where there were lights all over glowing like falling snow.
I did some tearing apart of the picture and figured out it was not UFOs, but rather rain soaked leaves falling and the glow was the reflection of the flash. Made a spooky picture though.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

creekwalker, we are just a few miles from Antietam Battlefield. Every 4th of July they have the Maryland Symphony play there for spectacular fireworks. We are also just 40 mins. from Gettysburg so quite a historic area along the Potomac River.
cpartschick, sounds spooky, better start keeping them. I just made a folder for cabin trail pics and save them in there, least for a while.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

creekwalker,

It's just a guess so could very well be wrong, as well. I said 'kit' because, and I'm basing a lot of this on my backyard raccoon observations, the two animals seem to be reasonably comfortable with each other as there is no sign of bickering, fighting, and such. I figure the two are likely either mother and kit or 2 siblings still hanging out together. It's really difficult to compare the two sets of eyes because the eyes of the closest animal are distorted by the light/flash. The animal in the distance appears to be peering out from behind a row of shrubs or something like that. But, that's just my guess.

I save all of my pics for future reference and find unexpected reasons to need one every now and then. To save space on my laptop, I download them to an external drive and back them up to DVD. They are practically giving those usb external drives away now.

haighr, that is something. Maybe someday I will be able to visit there. My Dad's family went to Illinois, then some went on to Kansas.

scutler, I don't think there is any shrubs there. It could be that it is laying down in the leaves. Just an odd picture. lol

Here is a family of raccoons on our deck. lol There was like 4 or 5 babies.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

And here is an unusual one. possum and coon eating side by side.

Oops! This picture wasn't from our trail cam. So sorry!

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 9:24 AM

Thumbnail by creekwalker

A doe. Don't mind the dates. I never set them to the right date and time. I should though.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2008 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

NP, I can't get the dates right on the one we had either, I was lucky to just get it to operate. Interesting photo of the coon and possum and what a lively bunch of possoms on your deck!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

creekwalker,

I really enjoyed your photo of the raccoon family on the deck. I brings back wonderful memories for me. I just want to reach out and pet them all.

As to the opossum and raccoon eating together, while it came as a surprise to me, too, at first, I have found that the opossums and raccoons eat together in my yard often. On one occasion, I actually watched in amazement as Heidi, the matriarch, permitted a young opossum to approach and eat directly from her dish while she was eating. I had expected her to attack him but saw no sign of animosity between them.

While the 2 species share the area quite amicably at my wildlife buffet, on occasion a very brief squabble will occur, but that even happens between same species sharing food. I once watched (and laughed and laughed at) an adolescent raccoon kit as he jumped from the pool to chase an opossum all about the flower garden, the opossum zigging and zagging in an attempt to loose the kit. They were hilarious.

On another occasion I watched an opossum who had been eating next to a young raccoon for a while. The two were eating from separate dishes about a foot apart when the opossum suddenly and without provocation reached out and grabbed the hind quarter or upper back leg of the raccoon in his mouth and bit down hard. The young raccoon screamed and flipped around to engage the offender in a proper fight, a fight which didn't last long and which ended with the opossum backing down and leaving the area.

In general, though, the 2 species seem to get along amazingly well, although I find that the raccoons will chase the opossums away when their kits are young if their isn't enough food to go around.

Sorry, didn't mean to switch the topic or anything, just couldn't resist the urge to let you know my observations on this topic.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Interesting story scuter, thanks for the information, fascinating the way they behave sometimes.

Thanks scutler, that's really interesting. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it though. I have also seen a skunk with them too. lol Eating side by side with them. My husband went out to take a picture, and the skunk started moving towards him.....closer and closer til my husband gave up and got inside. lol

Those raccoons are so cute! Especially when they are babies. :-)

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

My tomato garden, the night before I put up the deer fence:

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Now that is a sin, how dare they??? I hope the only photo we get is a big 10pt just running toward the opening day! Hope you got at least one mater sandwich outta that LOL!

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

Naw, there was a scrawny little buck in the group though, that didn't show on the first pic. Here he is crunching down a tomato leaf...You can almost see him smiling!

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Now I do believe he is grinnin at you!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes, and he almost appears to be posing for the camera as well.

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Can ya'll help me decide on a trail camera? Thanks, Mike
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/928543/

Edinburg, TX

Love that deer in the garden!!! I tilled a patch in the back thorn scrub area of the ranch and planted a bunch of wildflower seeds for the butterflies. Needless to say, the deer got to them just when they were going to bloom!

We got Dad a game trail camera for Christmas and have been amused at the variety of wildlife it captured. We don't get bear or fox out here...but we do have deer, bobcats, small varmits like rabbits...and rabbits and rabbits!!! Lots of dove and quail and even a hawk looking for a plumb birdie to eat.

~ Cat

raccoons...busted in the act! :o)

This message was edited Jan 1, 2009 8:57 PM

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

Bobcat.

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

We also noticed that right after the feeder goes off in the mornings - gobs of doves showed up!

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

A Green Jay that showed up late for breakfast!

~ Cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.