Descent into autumn...orchids of September

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

We overlapped, Laurel!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, perhaps we can create a joke about "How many posters does it take to name an orchid?" lol The overlap is a positive confirmation.

I am gone until after the tenth, so I'll catch up with all the great posts then. Can't wait to see what's in store from you guys.
Laurel

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't think that solitary yellow is a paph Fred and perhaps you were not saying that. My paphs just grow but never seem to bloom. I'm lucky to get a bloom every three years. I have a book called 100 Orchids for Florida and not one paph or phrag made the list. All the author says about them is that they are better grown in northern climates.

Jim

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That is a Phal., I reckon. Maybe Phals could work in S. FL if people reversed the growing season and put them out in Fall. I don't know about orchids and day length sensitivity, so if the temps are good for blooms, but the day length is off...well that is problematic. I don't ever remember Phals being grown in public collections or know a Phal grower in S. FL. Perhaps someone knows otherwise.
Laurel.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I have two Phals that bloom twice yearly and two that have not yet rebloomed for me this past yr and a half. I just got three more (at prices that I couldn't pass up). Now, I leave everyone out year round and take them in only in chance of frost (I missed one time last season, burning leaves on the two phals that bloom but not affecting the blooming cycle). Will have to see this season. Fortunately, the two phals that HAVEN'T bloom are smaller plants and don't take up needed room for a more reliable plant. And both were gifts, so not sure if they were forced or allowed to naturally bloom locally. I have seen Phals in bloom for sale at the local garden club nursery (where I just got two of the three new Phals) that were in bloom and I know were just left in the shade room there and not forced.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm sorry Jim. I meant Phal. I should proof read my writings.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Phals are great in Florida. I think they are our most popular orchid. I have them in bloom constantly.

Jim

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm.... guess I need to look at what a Paph is.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Taking a cue from Todd's lovely Blc, there continues to be a beautiful rainbow of colors on display by many players.

FLStu, bookmark this site as it is a great source for determining what all these orchid abbreviations represent. I have selected page for those starting with P.

http://www.orchids.mu/Glossary/Glossary_P.htm

Paph ---- Paphiopedilum
Phal ----- Phalaenopsis

This is Lc Summer Camp 'Eureka' which has a large floofy bloom which is quite aromatic.

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

This NOID Phal from WalMart almost died as it lost all its roots and most of the leaves. It has come back with a great root system but still only has one leaf.

I received 4 phrags from Orchids Limited this week. Todd did you order any plants from them?

Ken

Thumbnail by Ironwood
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ken, floofy is good and the color is even better. Great bloom.

Jim

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Ironwood

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Fred, if only I could tie orchids to trees...space would no longer be a concern! I think your small dendro is Dendrobium bigibbum var. compactum.

Ken, your Catt is stunning!...and yes, I got 4 phrags and a Paph from OL.....I don;t know why I keep ordering phrags as I have a hard time getting them to bloom. One of the Phargs from OL came in spike! Hopefully it won't blast! Which ones did you get?

My catch included Pattywhack, Mini Grande, Will Chantry (in spike) and Hanne Popow flavum.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

thanks Todd,
you've just baptized Dendrobium bigibbum var. compactum

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Todd, I bought through one of the co-ops clips that can be mounted onto trees or fences or wood posts, etc. that will hold clay pots up to 8" (I think). I got 30, so may try them on the oaks where I have my orchids hanging.

Here's the link to the company for Hang-a-pot: http://www.hangapot.com/

This message was edited Sep 27, 2008 9:09 PM

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Todd, the phrags I got were Will Chantry (no spike), besseae, Jason Fischer (3N) and Noirmont. Kathy posted pictures of her Noirmont so many times I just had to have one. I also got a Hanne Popow from Paramount this week. I with you regarding the blooming but I just have a hard time saying no more. Realistically most of my phrags are still quite young, maybe someday they will grow up.

Ken

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I'm sure you will love your Noirmont, Ken! Mine's taking a break right now but it's been in bloom twice and for months.
Some of my plants are glad to be indoors, some have the rot. I'm clipping leaves and spraying with a fungicide so they look good at the moment. I found the roots to be fine-one is in a wood box so it's not about the medium. Ah, stewardship....
I'm watching my first true Vanda bud up. I'm praying it doesn't blast. It's a blue.
Lots of spikes-I think October's going to be floriforous here.
Lc. Loog Tone 'African Beauty' (the dark red one with 10 flowers) is living in my kitchen/diningroom and in the afternoon the place smells just like I'm cooking with cloves.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I was tempted with the Noirmont but the plants get too large for my space. Three the the phrags I got from OL have previously bloomed and are just starting new growths...looks like a year or more wait on them :(

I do have quite a lot of young phrags but at least 8 are multi-growth and still no blooms....I am threatening them with moving to the greenhouse at work. Orchids generally respond well there but the mealies are out of control in our greenhouse so I am reticent about putting them in and bringing them back once they spike...I have seen a couple of mealies in my home collection which no doubt took that route.

BTW, I think this has been our longest monthly thread!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ken - I just bought a Hanne Popow (in bloom) from Paramount myself. The flowers are so cute!

Joanne

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Seems that Paramount is starting to offer more Phrags...if only I had space...the time for shipping here is quickly closing in.

Nice purchase Joanne...always nice to get instant gratification.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Beautiful choice Joanne, the only choice here is which mail order retailer you want to order from and in most cases that is not a factor as they don't carry similar items. So you take what they send you.....

Ken

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Rejoice with me ! My blue vanda has spiked after nearly two years of waiting.I put it outside for the summer and mother nature did the rest.JOY

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Congrats Joy! That's great. Be sure to show us a picture....

Here's another recent purchase (in spike) from Paramount, Phrag Sedenii.

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That phrag is just beautiful Joanne. Perhaps I should move to Canada.

Jim

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Trade ya... Ü

Today's pics. my first NOID ascocenda.

Thumbnail by boojum

Epi. Green Hornet.

This message was edited Sep 29, 2008 10:54 PM

Thumbnail by boojum

Mystery Phrag.

Thumbnail by boojum

Pleurothallis imperiallis x P. palliolata.

Thumbnail by boojum

Masd. Snow Cone.

Thumbnail by boojum

And an open "face."

Thumbnail by boojum

Blc. Crowfield 'Mendenhall'.

Thumbnail by boojum

Perreiraara Motes Leprechaun 'Haiku Mint'.

Thumbnail by boojum

Den. Green Elf. about 6 blooms blasted when it went inside. Now I found out that it prolly would like the "cool" room better. Live & learn.

Thumbnail by boojum

Catt. forbesii.

Thumbnail by boojum

Paph. liemianum x sib.

Thumbnail by boojum

A SEED POD!!

Thumbnail by boojum

...on Epi. Hokulea 'Lava Flow'. Ursula, does yours do this?

Thumbnail by boojum

Mtssa. Shelob 'Tolkien.'

Thumbnail by boojum

I'm so proud that I used my very own peaches and made peach cobbler tonight-with brandy sauce! Aren't you impressed? Well I am. First time I've baked in 4 years! I never cook if I can help it-I burnt out from when I was married with children!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.