Descent into autumn...orchids of September

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I am still exhausted! Either I'm getting older or I have 3x as many orchids since the beginning of the summer or both. I think both. It felt great to purge today and my new orchid friend was thrilled.
Catt. forbesii has two new buds.

Thumbnail by boojum

Hi Joanne! I saw this orchid when Ursula posted a pic and absolutely had to get it! And now I'm posting pics!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Excellent, posting pictures helps spread the addiction...LOL. You guys are doing a great job. Ü

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

boojum, your pics are great and you're tempting me to pull out mt orchid catalogs. it must be the urge an addict feels but i'll try to resist lol. i've saved a special place for the trichoglottis fasciata, bright, airy, etc. with my luck, of late, it will probaby bloom while i'm in the hospital. my Iwanagara Apple Blossum 'Mendenhall' is setting bud.. so excited as this is the first time. i think i'm hopeless with the vandafinetia virgil '#2 z ascocentrum curvifolium and the neostylis lou sneary 'lea' . it might be like flowering phals., can't do it. the leaves and roots are fine bur=t no blooms, so i gave uo as it became a frustration instead of a pleasure.
i agree with grow_jo, great pics. lee P.S. hi RUK

Lee, best of luck!!
My Vandafinetia blaupunkt has never done anything but it now is growing a spike. I tend to kill phals!!!!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

there are just some i shouldn't try. i'm lookimg at a zygo. shoot that needs propping up with a stake. it's all plopped over like i feel lol lee

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

You are mentioning Vandafinetia, Ascocentrum curvifolium and Neostylis Lou Sneary - all three are really warm growers and need bright sunshine to do well. They hate chilly nights and they don't mind temps in the nineties in Summer.

Many of these "Orchid shyfloweri" will flower sooner or later ( some a LOT later), as long as they look healthy and grow. And once they find their "voice" they will continue to flower, usually. And if it doesn't flower within ca 5 years, threaten to let the Rabbits play with it. That works.

Kathy, you still have the noid Ascda!! Good growing! :-) It is a nice one!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

RUK, like bird watching, i am learning some patience, not much but some. 5yrs? oh, god. lol both are located next to a s/sw facing window. temps in mid-upper 80's day and mid 60's night. again, 5 yrs. (sobbing) lee

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lea, a nice healthy Orchid and 5 years not saying a peep isn't that unusual for me.
Truly, I buy sometimes Orchids which are supposed to be blooming size and then they just sit amongst the others for YEARS!! My Cattleya schilleriana (s), my C. skinneri alba, Ascocentrum Bicentennial, Trichoglottis philippinensis, Rhyncholaelia digbyana - just to name a few - did exactly that. Some certainly made up for it now....

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

yes, i'm learning through trial and error. the only way for a hard-head like me. lee

Ha! I had no patience so I just kept buying more orchids and now there's always something blooming out of the 275 of them. That's how I deal with patience, lol!
And when something blooms after 5 years I get really really really happy. I give away things I've had for 4 years (I've only been collecting for 4 years) and never saw it bloom-someone else may have more ideal conditions and better luck with it. Or I give away things that are not at all prospering but aren't dead. If leaves are growing it stays.

Ursula, so neat to have folks RECOGNIZE my first baby!!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, if anyone is adopting out and wish a warmer climate for their babies.......... LOL...... Wow, I'm up to about to nearly two dozen and even those seem like a task to bring in and out with the storms and frosts....... guess that I, too, would have a plant house if I were up north. Love the plant rooms that I've seen.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

boojum, i thought i had a lot but when you said 275 i had to steady myself and i'm siyying down! i've 2 dozen and at times, i feel overwhelmed. i cut tuberoses y'day and put them in here and am pretending i have orchids bloomong. lol but boo, i've been growing 8 yrs. with success mostly. do you think i need to cull even more? (boo-hoo). last week almost sent me to the asylum. however, i do have a tolumnia 'pink panther' sending up a stem. but it's a teeny tiny thing. but, it's better than none.
had to get up and mist. humidity 46% and turned on the fan. temp 71.

flustu, i gave away almost a dozen last week and if i were going to give away more, i'd pack them off to you. however, with surg. coming up on the 23rd and the trauma of departing with the orcids from last week, i'm practically ready for the smellimg salts! lol

lww

Lee, I may make you steady yourself but you make me laugh!! Love the drama!

I absolutely feel insane. I have collections everywhere! There's orchids, hoyas, amaryllis, a bunch of neomaricas, lots of epiphyllums (orchid cactus), a small cactus and succulent collection, christmas and easter cacti, jatropha, geraniums, 1 brug, 3 passifloras, a bay plant, all of which come in for the winter. Not to mention that my whole garden has to get cut down and winter mulched soon. Also collections-tons of wonderful beardless iris, lilacs, daylilies (250), hollyhocks, asters, phlox, peonies, lilies, many roses, many clematis, ladyslipper collection and my new collection, primroses and miniature bulbs. It makes me tired thinking about it. I have a gardener that helps me for 8 hours a month. So I really should be committed but no one cares how nuts I am and they like to come and visit (although I think it must annoy some that I'm always working).

And then I have to work to make money!!! I really should have been rich so I could just retire and pursue my passions. Sigh!~!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

hey boo, that's me--should have been so rich... dear god, i just woke up and now need a xanax after reading your collection. donate it ti the getty museum when your time comes1 lol the only epiphyllum i have is a night blooming cereus and it's turning into a wild 'thang' . hoyas and neos., i've thought about. the bay would be just marginally hardy here. my brusgs., i leave out and they bloom in fall. jatropha, i'd like to try. do they have the swollen base? i only have the common passiflora incarnata that i grow for the gulf fritallaries butterflies. they denude them but that's fine.
yes, it does take alot of work but think of the exercise and hoe svelte you must be. now, xanax time, lee
you've heard of 'the dancing queen', well i'm the drama queen! lol

I love it!
I don't have a night blooming cereus that rambles cause I used to and it got too big. I love the way I trade one maintenance nightmare for another and think I'm so smart!! Duh!

Well I just did some weeding, watering, misting and repotting and I think I've earned breakfast. Shoot I guess I earned lunch!!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

boo, seriously, do the cereus get that out of control? if so, will pinching them help or hinder them? this, i truly need answers to as i might have to put her up for adoption. i got it in the spring and put it in orchid seedling bark mix and it has really taken off. it has two stems that are at least 2 feet tall. btw, i got all the little women (orchids. i think of them as female) fwd and watered in between chatting last night and what did i get from them, not EVEN a thank you. maybe, just maybe the vanda 'merlot' became a little perkier. lee p.s. yes it's time for lunch. as edie beale in 'grey gardens' would say 'luncheon'. i'm far too common for that.

OMG you know Edie Beale!!

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

boo, no, i don't know her personally, just from having seen 'grey gardens' on sundance 5-6 times. she and her mother are just too interesting. lee p.s. do you know her?

I meant that you even know of her. I adored that crazy movie.
I need to take more orchid pics.... my lycaste has two more small buds.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

besides old k. hepburn and b. davis movies, grey gardens is one of my favs. i know this is the wrong forum for this but please indulge me. my one question has always been: what's wrong with her hair?
re lycaste: which one? lee

Lycaste-Look at post 5531770 above.
Don't know why she covered her hair!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

A surprise, my tiny Brassavola nodosa, here in Atlanta with a few other prospects awaiting Fall.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Beautiful, Laurel. I have trouble growing those.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Brassovola nodosa is still a no-show for me in regards to blooms but here are some recent openers...Sc. Crystelle Smith

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Paphiopedilum Judge Phillip...3 spikes with 2 blooms per spike.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Onidium Aloha Iwanaga...there are two spikes with nearly 100 flowers in total.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Lockhartia

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Not an orchid but I wanted to share my Sarracenia Dixie Lace..a first time bloomer!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey all. Finished putting in 20+ plants into the landscaping this weekend and went today to HD for some mulch. Just *had* to stop at the orchids and found these two in 4" pots. Was a third I liked, but it was in a larger pot and just didn't think I wanted to spend the higher price right now. I'm thinking Miltassia on both. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

the second. Please excusde the background.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Go on, Kathy. I thought you could grow anything! This tiny 3" pot replaces a big specimen from my other orchid life. Hope to grow it out to something worthy. I'm absolutely amazed that the tiny Encyclia cochleata I got this past Winter has almost doubled. I am starting very small here and have made no new acquisitions since early last Winter.

So not the best photo, but you can see the plant is small.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Todd, love Lockhartia. It kind of reminds me of a showgirl with big headress and arms outstretch as she comes down the stairs. Too many Busby Berkeley movies, sorry.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2008 8:47 PM

I still haven't recovered from Paphiopedilum Judge Phillip. And a beautiful pic of Sarracenia Dixie Lace. There are lots of these nearby me at Black Jungle. http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BJTS&Category_Code=SAR

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Todd, the Sarracenia is a beauty!! I do hope mine will flower next year in our little bog. ( which was inspired by Black Jungle) And neat Lockhartia too.
Stu, how about Beallaras?

Cute Brassavola nodosa Laurel!

Lee, explaining how to control the growth of your Epiphyllum oxypetalum ( "nightblooming cereus") is to hijack this thread for a second. If you just let it grow, it will be over 10 feet tall and take up a room, no joking. I just hacked mine apart for easier handling. Top off the long canes not higher than eye height, the plant will grow the (eventually flower producing) leafy growth at a lower height. Tie the canes together so they form nice graceful plants - canes together and leaves outwards. Remember that flowers are produced from mature "leaves/pads".

Ok back to Orchids....and I am off to play with Kammi and Anna...18 months old.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Ursula, the first is much like Todd's Beallara Peggy Ruth Carpenter in the April thread. What would you say about the second? Also, when I looked up Beallara in one of the photo encyclopedias listed on the sticky, it didn't have any listings. Will keep looking at the sticky sites. Boy, there are alot more Orchid types than I ever expected. But I really love the ones that I've unearthed so far. Guess if you like the flower, the type doesn't really matter much in the long run.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Orchidaceae/Beallara/none/cultivar/0/ for Beallaras.
The second looks a lot like something in the Miltonia bluntii family. http://www.csnjc.org/SacForum06/miltbluntii.html

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Boojum....... the second does look like a Miltonia now that I see the link. It's not readily noticable in the picture, but the top petals have brown/ deep burgandy spots on them. Couldn't find any at HD in the groupings that had name tags. But, as I said before, I love the spider-type flowers. Seems what I need to do is print out examples of a few of the types and make a comparison booklet for myself. Looking on the internet is great, but time consuming when you have to jump around. Will see if there are any beginner books at Barns and Noble that give a good overview of the what catagorizes the various types. truthfully, the Beallaras, Miltonias and Miltassias look like they are all the same flower type (I am in a science field and do know that the there are subtleties that will classify one type from another). Any suggestions?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Stu, try Miltassia Royal Robe as your second pick....the first is certainly Beallara Peggy Ruth Carpenter. I have that Miltassia as well but no blooms yet.

Here's a happy camper-Mtssa. Shelob ‘Tolkien’.

Thumbnail by boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.