Descent into autumn...orchids of September

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I begged for this but no go. Liparis purpureoviridis.

Thumbnail by boojum

Another cat.

Thumbnail by boojum

Close up of the Liparis.

Thumbnail by boojum

Nice one. I almost buy these every year but then I don't. I just like to look I guess.

Thumbnail by boojum

Shoot forgot the name. I think it's Carol something.

Thumbnail by boojum

Bulbo. echinolabium-I have a baby of this. PU. Found out today that my green and yellow flowered Cym. Maureen Carter has many sibs that look different with the same name (usually all yellow). Glad mine is bicolored.

Thumbnail by boojum

Someone told me the turn all their paphs on their side for the summer outside and they all come in and bloom. Also everyone swears by chips of shells to top dress slippers.

Shoot, forgot which Maxillaria this is. LUST!

Thumbnail by boojum

Liparis nutans. I already have this one from Glen last year-not blooming.

Thumbnail by boojum

Last pic of the sale. I had a blast helping a new friend pick out a bunch of orchids. So glad he came and it didn't cost me a cent to enjoy what he bought!

Thumbnail by boojum

And then I came home to this.

Thumbnail by boojum
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Just got this from HD. Any idea of type? Is it a Brassia?

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Closer pic

Thumbnail by FLStu

Miltassia I'd say. Love the brown spotting on the petals.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Boojum. Any idea on this one? I posted it above at the beginning of the month.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

FLStu, I have two Miltassia 'Shelob Webmaster' that have been in bloom for the last month. Similar coloring, but yours looks darker. Perhaps the light? Mine was a HD rescue late last winter. Who's the grower on yours?
Laurel

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You guys sure get some nice orchids at HD. Ours mainly carry phals and the occasional oncidium, but that's about it. Oh yeah, and as an added feature, they mostly come with scale too. LOL.

Great pix of late everyone!

Joanne

Gosh Joanne, on a scale of one to ten, it sounds like your's are off the scale!!! Mine were under four dollars each after I whined about everyone getting bargain orchids at HDs around the country 'cept us Atlanta folks. Maybe you should work on your technique? I was really getting upset last year with posters from the South West who were walking away with all kinds of Oncidiums for $2.00! The possibilities are extensive, but it is a random way to formulate a collection. Don't be too hard on them regarding the hitch hikers. My worst experience to date has been a local grower. She donated every kind of orchid eating, disease carrying creature known to my indoor growing space.
Laurel

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Laurel......... This one didn't have any labeling in it. There was also another that had a yellow/white bloom that I didn't purchase, but it also didn't have a grower. The second picture that I put up that was a repeat of one at the start of this thread was one I got from a local commercial orchid nursery that an area for sales to the public. I got the yellow Phal. and the lavender and the purple dendrobiums that I posted above there. The purple one I had also seen at Lowes, but my plant was twice the size and the same price as Lowes. They may be one of the suppliers for the box stores. The young lady who sold me the plants was one of the workers (probably the lead worker) and didn't know any names. None in the sales area were labeled.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Looks like a great sale Kathy...kudos on holding back from a major purchase spree!

I agree Stu that your newest purchase is a Miltassia. The older one is a Brassia. Both are quite lovely!

Barkerara Truth 'Silver Chalice' is just starting to open.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and my Odontonia Yellow Parade is fully open...12 flowers...great fragrance on this one!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love the Yellow Parade!
That looks like a wonderful Orchid sale. Kathy, you surely did well buying from Glen Decker, his plants are always nice. Btw a blooming Bulbo echinolabium never gets displayed in the living room. After I sniffed one for the first time, I googled putrescine and cadaverine.....but the flowers are certainly gorgeous.
The Liparis is really neat!! Wonderful Pleurothallis too!!

Jim, V Robert's Delight is one of my favorites, very nice!!

Anyone here shops at Trader Joe? I was really tempted this week. They had some truly gorgeous Beallaras for sale.

I moved all the Cattleyas in today. Although it was very hot and humid outside today, the greenhouse air conditioner held at 87 degrees F. Since some of Catts are really huge, they had to come in first, room-wise. And I found a good spot for the monster Coelogyne pandurata.

Hi Ursula, I shop at Trader Joe's here and there. They are right down the street in Atlanta. Like those who have complained about the sorry selections at HD, our Trader Joe's only seems to have a conglomeration of unnamed Dendrobians. Wish that it were different. So you did resist temptation? What percentage of your collection is Cat. related?
Laurel

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

hello all, i must say all the great pics have my head spinning. so, boojum, you got to the sale? lucky all of you who have close access. after seeing the wonderful pics, i'm sitting here looking at mine thinking, 'maybe just ONE more', this after giving some away saturday. lol. all take care, lee

This is a very evil thread. lol.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

hi boojum, it is! lol lee

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Laurel, you asked about the percentage of Cattleya and related Orchids in my collection - I have about 60 plants of those, but they take up ca 1/3 of the room the Orchids occupy. (proportion of C&S : Orchids = ca. 40:60)
I have never counted the other Orchids, I will take a quick count as I move them in too.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2008 7:20 AM

Can anyone tell me what these native to Australia orchids are on this thread? (2 of em)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902527/

Stereochilus hirtus today.

Thumbnail by boojum

I waited a long time for this one. So glad to finally see it.

Thumbnail by boojum

And Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi.

Thumbnail by boojum

Perreiraara Motes Leprechaun ‘Haiku Mint’ today

Thumbnail by boojum

Mtssa. Shelob ‘Tolkien’ blooming again.

Thumbnail by boojum

Close up of cornu-cervi.

Thumbnail by boojum
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Stereochilus is a new one to me..very interesting. The rest are more typical and beautiful as always.

Thought I'd do an update on our Thai donated orchids at work. Lots of Vandas blooming, but so far, we keep getting duplicates of the same five. However a Vascostylis is spiking that is unregistered and hopefully will be yellow rather than the blue and pink typical of Pine River and the sort.

Meanwhile here is Wirat...the flowers are absolutely huge!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Kultana Blue

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Princess Mikasa

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Roberts Delight

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Pats Delight

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

We have about 10 Dendrobium bigibbum var. compactum...most are white with a purple throat. This is one of two pink ones.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and finally one of the standard cane Dendrobiums has bloomed. Two more are spiking! This one is Sonia

This message was edited Sep 16, 2008 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.