Descent into autumn...orchids of September

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

To start this months thread, I'll post a pic of my Odontocidium Wildcat 'Yellow Butterfly'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A studio-shot of part of the Odontocidium Space Crow spike

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and an update on Phragmipedium Eric Young..now 2 flowers open!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Gosh Todd, those shots deserve a prize. Unbelievable.

Fred

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

You make me want an oncidium (a stretch for me!).

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Great start Todd, thanks.

Jim

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

You know you got me on this one Todd. I love anything Oncidium! Free blooming, long lasting and very willing to accommodate a wide variety of growing conditions. Kathy, I think they are often not appreciated because they put forth such a profusion of blooms that seem common with orchid growers. I think of them as fanciful and full of gaiety. They are not "mental" orchids. I am having trouble rebuilding my Oncidium collection locally. I plan to work on that this coming year.
Laurel

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely odontocidiums Todd. And your Eric Young twins are to die for!

Joanne

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I swear by my Oncidium alliance...I have to say they are the most reliable for me. I should have a stellar display in the next month or two as spikes are coming at me from all directions!

Speaking of relibale orchids, my Ron Williamson is blooming again...the third time in less than 18 months!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Well, the day has come for my C. amethystoglossa to open up. It's been growing outside in heavy shade (it wasn't like that when I tied it to a sabal palm) and to my knowledge has never bloomed. This year I sprayed it with fertilizer whih I mix with banrot and there you are: three wonderful flowers opened up for me.

According to the writeup for this Cat. it has a long way to go with 10 to 30 flowers, but at least it found a home it seems to like.

This species of Cattleya is native to Brazil in the states of Bahia and possibly Espirito Santo, where it is found near sea level in close proximity to the Atlantic Ocean. Cattleya amethystoglossa grows on palm tree trunks, rock, and large tree branches high in the canopy of evergreen trees. This plant is found growing in bright, airy, humid locations. Its native range has been greatly reduced due to habitat destruction, logging, and agriculture.

Cattleya amethystoglossa is a tall plant and has pseudobulbs that grow to 3 feet (1 meter) tall. Each pseudobulb has two (occasionally three) leathery, green leaves at the top. This species is in the Bifoliate division of Cattleyas.

The flowers of Cattleya amethystoglossa grow to 4 inches (10 cm) in diameter. Flowers are produced on terminal flower stems that develop at the apex of the pseudobulb. The unbranched inflorescence produces between ten and 30 blooms. Cattleya amethystoglossa is fragrant. The petals and sepals are light lavender to pale rose in color with mauve or magenta spotting. The amount of spotting varies widely between individuals with some individuals demonstrating few spots. The lip is bright magenta in color and partially wraps around the column. The throat varies in color from white to pale yellow or gold. Flowers are produced from late fall to early spring. Cattleya amethystoglossa grows best in intermediate or warm growing conditions.

Here is the plant where it has lived for the last three years.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

and here are the flowers. I like it when I can have orchids growing outside on trees. It's more like nature then pots.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

orphan phals are blooming to. This is a white one.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

another is just marked Dtps. (P) which I guess is an unnamed Doritaenopsis. The inflorescense is small. It has a lip on it.
Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

better shot of the lips

Thumbnail by fredrump

I'm in love with the cattleya!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Finally got my pictures taken. These are all in either my office or home. I take some of the bloomers to work and have a plant grow light in the hat light above the counter. This Dendrobium has been in the office and in bloom with two spikes for over two months now.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Mtdm. Bartley Schwartz Highland. If someone can tell me what Mtdm. stands for ? This one is fragrant.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

A NOID yellow.

Edited to note that Boojum helped me notate it as a Phal. The leaves alone would support that.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2008 6:20 AM

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

A NOID lavender Dendrobium...love this color

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

A darker purple NOID Dendrobium

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

A NOID that I think is a Brassia or something similar.. Any ideas? I really like the way the older blooms turn pinkish, like the bottom most one.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Another of the darker purple

Thumbnail by FLStu
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Fred, that cattleya is to die for!

Stu, I am really partial to those dark purple dendro...simply stunning!

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Stu
Mtdm = Miltonidium = (Miltonia x Oncidium)

Those blues are divine. I love the blues and lavender in orchids. I have a blue Den going at it for quite some time now. I can not enough pictures of it. :-)

Fred

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 8:50 PM

Great ones!! I think the yellow NOID is a phal. Mtdm. Bartley Schwartz Highland is a beauty-love that color.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Fred and Boojum.......... Please correct any of the incorrect typings that I have listed. Boojum, I think that you are right, based on the leaves and plant form as well. It is not a long stalk, like the dendrobiums, but rather flat and close to the ground. I did not take that into account when I guessed and went by what I thought the pictured blooms looked like.... duh.

Hey, I wasn't sure either!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have been busy buying a new car. The 1999 Lexus just wasn't cutting it any more. What a wonderful show I've been missing! Great posts Fred and Stu. The dark purple dendrobium is wonderful as is the Mtdm Bartley Schwartz. Fred, the cattleya is special.

Here is a NOID Cymbidium that I rescued from the orphan table at Home Depot a couple of years ago. I guess it was worth the work and the wait. Any clue what it is?

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is phal Newberry Parafait, Picotee.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I lost my Newberry :(

That cymbidium is lovely...odd time of the year for that type to be blooming.

I've been looking to acquire yellow and green Cyms.. That one sure is pretty. Let me know if you would like to do a Cym. trade down the line.
Laurel

I bet it has some Golden Elf or Chen's Ruby in it. This is their season.

Today. I am working on the set up when they come in. I have so many hanging ones that I ordered a clothing rack today. http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUBLE-BAR-H-RACK-ADJUSTABLE-CLOTHING-RACK-NEW_W0QQitemZ140180008771QQihZ004QQcategoryZ109431QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store
except I got it for lots less $.

Thumbnail by boojum

Den. Upin King 'Serenade' today.

Thumbnail by boojum

A blurry pic of my little niveum guy's second bloom.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2008 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by boojum

And my big surprise-Maxillaria sp. lindleyana (chloroleuca), I think.

Thumbnail by boojum

Maybe it's splendens. http://www.orchidphotos.org/gallery2/v/Maxillaria/Maxillaria+splendens+%233.jpg.html

Kathy, when do the orchids need to start coming in up your way and what kind of a time span do you have to move them? Two weeks? Four?
Laurel

I never know. I'm always out there at 9PM in the dark, panic stricken, tossing them into my office at the last minute. Frosts can come at any time. But on the other end, June 1 is safe to bring them out.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'd be so afraid of bringing in every know insect if I kept them outside over the summer. earwigs are a big problem in my area and orchid pots are ideal for them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.