Unknown from wildflower garden...

Kingfield, ME

I tried to ID this in my wildflower book, but to no avail. No idea where it came from, but we have sprinkled "wildflower seed" mixes in this garden many times over. I have some that bloom white, and some that bloom magenta, usually in a cluster at the top of the stem. It looks like a soft green thistle in the spring before it blooms, and most of the plants have already gone to seed. I was shocked and surprised to find this one still with a bloom!

Thumbnail by liz_crbnsl
Kingfield, ME

Here is a side view...

Thumbnail by liz_crbnsl
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks like a type of dianthus from the petal tips- many members to this family, annuals, perennials - like Sweet William.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, and the leaves on the second photo confirm the id. I'd not really consider this a wild flower. Was dianthus a part of your seed mix?
L

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It's Dianthus barbatus, as shown by the leafy calyx below the flower - not native to North America, but a very common garden plant.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Yes! I agree! Dianthus!
And they seem to have two blooming seasons ... late spring and late summer. They are a 'keeper' in our gardens.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Looks like my Sweet Williams! They bloom every other year, so let the seeds drop for year after next. Probably won't get any next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.