fragrant canna?

Tucson, AZ

hi to all the canna lovers out there.

i have a canna in my mini-pond that is fragrant but only a night. has anyone ever experienced a fragrant canna? i went outside last night and the patio was filled with a delightful, sweet fragrance. you don't have to be close to this one to get a whiff. i don't know the name of it but will find out from my friend that gave it to me.

here is a pic of the flowers.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Canna came from me, I always thought it was a flaccida. I looked around for a pic I had taken of mine but I couldn't find one. I have not found it to be fragrant and think tucsonplumeriaz has been smelling other things......if you know what I mean ;P

Anyone else ever have a flaccida they thought was fragrant?

Louisville, KY

If it is producing fragrance I would be very interested. The plant does look to be the species flaccida. I have heard of reports of a white South american species that does produce some smell. I have not smelled it in person and it seems no one is growing the species due to it being a high elevation grower.

Tucson, AZ

bwilliams - it is a wonderful fragrance. i have to get more people to try it and see for themselves.

Louisville, KY

I have canna flaccida but if you believe it is producing a smell or has a scent I would be very interested. Let me know how I can get one. Thanks.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

See D, I told you to let others know about it :o) I'm still trying to figure out why yours is fragrant and mine isn't though.....something in your water?

Louisville, KY

How would describe the smell you are getting from the canna. Can you smell it from a distance? Does it smell of fruit or of a certain scent? I would think if you placed flowers in a zip lock baggy open and just starting to open flowers and over night mailed them the person recieving them should get still have a smell to them. Just a thought on letting your friend have a whiff.

Other questions I have are would their be other plants in the area causing the smell? Is their a certain time of day the smell is stronger? Also taking the flower and placing them in a baggy may enhance the smell for you so you can be sure it is what your sniffing. It may also help for you to get a better idea of what it smells like.

It would be interesting to see the whole plant and what maybe around it. Your water may indeed play a role as some fertilizers can help in producing stronger scents. The odd part is most of the plants this helps already has a scent to begin with. Canna on the other hand have not shown this in the past.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I have a white one that emits a light fragrance.
Interesting to find someone else who experiences this, also.
Alice Harris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.