blooming in september

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok here's one for this month...

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Mostly, I'm stalking butterflies lately. Like Ardesia, I had a hard time getting the Giant Swallowtail to sit still. Reading the butterfly forum I'm very jealous; people in Texas are posting pictures of bunches of GSTs puddling and drinking. I was happy with my one!

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I have oodles of Gulf Fritillaries, though. And quite a few Sulfurs. And right and cue, because it is September 1st, the first blooms on my pineapple sage have opened. Sulfurs loose their minds over pineapple sage. I can have a dozen or more fluttering above it once the pineapple sage is in full bloom.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Borders: There are worse things thant oodles of Gulf Frits! :) Nice shots!

This Ixora picture is a cheat really, because although it's blooming now, I can't take credit since I just
got it this morning. (It was 99 cents - how could I resist?)

Anyone got Ixora growing outside round here? If, so, what do you do with it over the winter? And do you have it in sun, shade, or in-between?
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Great pix! I've been doing some stalking too.

I was happy to get to see these today.

Zephyranthes citrina

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Zephyranthes candida

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

This Caryopteris surprised me by springing up in an odd place. From seed? I grew some C. incana from seed a couple of years ago and lost what was planted out overwinter.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

This guy posed for me while I was making my morning rounds.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Chamthy: I love those Rain Lilies. Nice shots of them, too.
I have candida, but that citrina is really pretty! Mine started to appear after the rain we got from TS Fay week before last.
Deb

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Z. citrina has flowered less for me than candida. I bought Z. primulina this Spring and hope it will be a good one- flowers are a softer yellow. I want to try some of the new hybrids that Plant Delights is selling now. They look amazing.

I just went out to look for butterflies- too hot to do much in midafternoon, right?

Finally a Monarch

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Another pic of the same butterfly- it's in there but you probably have to click on the image to see it.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

The hummers are nonstop,lol. I don't even have any feeders.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

They must be stocking up for migration time. :) or should it be :(. I hate to see them go.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice pics, everyone!

Shari - send me a DMail to let me know what types of rain lilies you have; I will see if I have some others I can share with you.

My favorite is 'Grandjax' (a hybrid of Z. grandiflora and Z. 'Ajax (which is Z. candida x citrina)). Lovely flowers and the best for reblooming. Note that it's sterile and does not form viable seeds - but the bulbs offset nicely. Pic from today:

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

And now I will show a some of my crappy-looking brugs. I used to be really into brugs and I could show you spectacular pictures from a couple of years ago... but last summer's exceptionally hot, dry weather really took a toll on my enthusiasm. This year I have just let them be (no spraying or special pampering) and most are not doing very well. I do finally have a lot of buds on 'Pink Beauty' so if the bugs leave her alone I may have a nice display in a week or two.

Here's 'Miss Emily McKenzie' - a bit wilted and pale from the heat and the cucumber beetles have been nibbling.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's 'Creamsickle' - when the weather is ideal it will have much better flower form but now they're a bit deformed (probably doesn't help that it's being overrun by Salvia guarantica).

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Clematis terniflora - I like it but it tends to take over. I pulled out most of it this spring. This is a rouge seedling in a climbing rose.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Senna corymbosa - just starting. If all goes well it will put on quite a show in a couple of weeks.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

my senna is about to go too!

Anyone have spare Senna corymbosa seeds? It looks interesting to grow. Thanks.

rebecca30

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

this is my first year with it

Smithfield, NC

Painted Lady. This has been a great year for butterflies -- we're practically overrun with them this year!

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Common Buckeye

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

tom, what is S. corymbosa's growth habit? is it evergreen for you?

Smithfield, NC

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

From this morning

Pink Moon Vine, Ipomoea macrorhiza

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

P.S. Great butterfly pic sweetbay!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Trent - Senna corymbosa is sort of a sprawling shrub. Mine is about 6ft tall x 6ft wide. It might be evergreen for you but here the foliage and even the tips of the branches are killed by the first hard freeze. That also kills most of the seed pods while they are still green so I don't have a problem with too many seedlings (I have heard that in some climates it tends to self-seed prolifically). In a mild winter it gets maybe 6" of tip die-back, in a hard winter it can be 1-2ft. However it always grows back - in early spring I just cut out all the dead parts and shape it up a little. This spring I cut it back by about 2 ft so it wouldn't get out of control.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

ok thanks just wanted to know what to expect

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I've been over run by oleander moths. I don't have any oleander but someones is getting eaten up. I had probably 10-12 moths on my butter fly bush today. Couldn't get a good picture of them, they were flying around everywhere.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i think those ar my moths... been having them real bad over here

Smithfield, NC

Those oleander moths look wild! I hadn't seen one before.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well come on down, I have about 5 million I would be happy to share with you. Trouble is the moths are so pretty I hate to BT them. The colors are so striking.

Smithfield, NC

Seedling dahlia.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I don't know how I would kill them off without killing off all the butterflies and bees. I don't want to any ways.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sweetbay: Very pretty color, that dahlia.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

if you think the moths are wild, come to my house and look a a beanch covered in the caterpillars

Smithfield, NC

The Bidens are starting to bloom!

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Noid spiderwort

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Clotilde Soupert

Thumbnail by sweetbay103

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.