WANTED: Deer food plot seeds

Edinburg, TX

Am looking for white tail deer food plot seeds. Am not exactly sure but am leaning towards clover and chickory. Anyone have any in bulk or know of a good internet source? I want to plant some in a strip of the back pasture.

Have lots of rooted Chalice Vine (solandra grandiflora/maxima), fresh cuttings of Mexican Flame Vine or let me know what you want and I'll see if I have it or can get it.

~ Cat

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

In my experience corn is the best possible thing. They love a corn field and so do the birds. You're to late for corn but that's an idea for next year. I wish I could remember what my neighbor planted. He put it in the ground and by morning the deer found found it and eat it to the ground.

Edinburg, TX

Hmmm...that's a good idea too. That hadn't occured to me. We also have feral hogs so am not sure either will let the corn grow long enough to bear a crop.

~ Cat

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Depends what you hunt. Pheasant love corn fields and will do a job on them. Not sure about the hogs. If you or someone you know want to hunt hogs there you go. I thought hogs liked tubers and plants like that the best???

Grains will work too and are easy to get seed for at a farm supply place. You would have to time the what ever grain for the time of year you want but that would work. How much can a big bag of wheat seed cost?

Edinburg, TX

Bummer...we don't get pheasants here...just Chachalacas. Drab gray noisy bird.

Am not interested in hunting the deer...just want to feed them and let them find refuge on our property. We get a small herd that beds down in the back field and on occasion see them foraging.

The hogs tend to be pests but they pretty much stick to wallowing around the edge of the pond. When they get too plentiful a few friends come over and they usually end up in someone's freezer.

Have been scouring the internet but not too many farm supplies here are online. Will have to make a run by each place to see what they have in stock.

Here's one little fawn from last August. It was snoozing in the tall grass by the fence. I was driving around the back field in the golf cart and spooked it but curiosity got the better of it and I was able to get some photos before I backed off so it could settle back down again

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

try this Cat
oops showed me logged in. will d-mail to you

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 2:52 PM

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

DH planted turnips in his deer plot, something else also but deer love the turnip greens.

Edinburg, TX

Dylan...was just reading about turnips and had no idea they liked that...very interesting! Will look into that to see if they will tolerate our soil and climate. Thanks for the reinforcement on turnips.

~ Cat

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We use to plant field peas (purple hull, crowder,etc) in east Texas. Deer really loved them. Here we've planted winter rye grass for them.
It is a joy to watch them. We have a lot of deer running through our woods.
vickie

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

An old timer got onto DH because he was planting his turnips the 1st week of August. "You plant turnips in July, wet or dry"

Edinburg, TX

Turnips in July? My word...our ground temps are probably in the upper digits - with the daily temps higher and bounding over the 100 degree mark up until around October. Cooked turnips anyone :o) ?

~ Cat

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

This may be not exactly what you're interested in but I work for WalMart in the Sporting Goods dept. We carry hunting goods during the season. One of the categories is for game management. Food plot seed mixes are in that category as well as small mineral blocks and sweet syrupy treats. The seed comes in small bags of very specific seed types (chicory, clover, alfalfa, brassica etc) and larger mixed bags as well. In our area (NC) this product gets put out around July and stops coming in around mid November. Whatever is left is clearanced or some vendors issue return authorizations. If you have a WalMart in your area or any large sporting goods store like Dick's, Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shop then you should be able to find these products offered in your area and usually they will carry the seed best suited to your location.

Some of the brands are:

(Mossy Oak) Biologic
Pennington

This is a planting guide from the Pennington site. Cabela's offers a DVD for $14.99 about food plots.

http://www.penningtonseed.com/section/wild_game_02.asp?type=guides&id=609

The Biologic bags of one specific seed are sold in 1-2 lb bags. They have mixes of other selections in larger bags. Then you can scatter in more clover or chicory or whatever.

Hope that helps!

Edinburg, TX

Fantastic dmac!!! I'll check at Walmart since it's just down the block from me. I keep meaning to check the feed and ranch supply stores but most are several miles away and are closed by the time I get off work.

Thanks again!

~ Cat

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Anytime:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.