Hurricane Gustav, Part 2

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Continued from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/896132/

Quoting:
AT 4 PM CDT...2100 UTC...THE HURRICANE WARNING IS EXTENDED WESTWARD ALONG THE LOUISIANA AND TEXAS COASTS TO JUST EAST OF HIGH ISLAND TEXAS. A HURRICANE WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM JUST EAST OF HIGH ISLAND EASTWARD TO THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER...INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN. A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

GUSTAV IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME RE-INTENSIFICATION IS POSSIBLE TONIGHT. FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY THEREAFTER...BUT GUSTAV IS FORECAST TO REMAIN A MAJOR HURRICANE UNTIL LANDFALL.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 65 MILES...100 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 220 MILES...350 KM. TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS SHOULD BEGIN TO SPREAD ONTO THE NORTHERN GULF COAST TONIGHT...WITH HURRICANE CONDITIONS STARTING TO SPREAD ONSHORE EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM SURGE OF 10 TO 14 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDAL LEVELS IS EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE CENTER OF GUSTAV CROSSES THE NORTHERN GULF COAST. ABOVE NORMAL TIDES IN THE DRY TORTUGAS SHOULD DIMINISH TONIGHT.

GUSTAV IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES OVER PORTION OF LOUISIANA...SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI AND SOUTHERN ARKANSAS...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 20 INCHES POSSIBLE THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING. ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF ABOUT AN INCH ARE POSSIBLE OVER FLORIDA KEYS AND SOUTH FLORIDA.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE CENTRAL GULF COAST TONIGHT.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?

This message was edited Aug 31, 2008 6:57 PM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks, M. Now we can all stay on track, as well as on pins and needles awaiting whatever tomorrow brings.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey darius!
You popped in as I was looking at the map.

Well I have heard from all my people.
By either luck of the draw or evac they are all out of the projected area.
THAT's a load off!...lol!
For privacy sake I'll post the DG'ers as OK after this is over.

My friends in FL are starting to see some action.
Basically clouds and a bit of wind.
Their attention is focusing now on the little lady just east of them.

Stay safe!
Ric

Good Deal, Ric. I personally thank you for showing a true caring spirit.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Darius
Just doing what feels right.

Lets hope daybreak shows the same data as the 8PM Cast.

NIght ALL!
Stay Safe!

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you are in the path of this storm, and you are thinking about leaving, don't head up towards Tyler/Dallas. When Gustav moves inland, it's going to stall in NE Texas for several days. They already have flash flood warnings posted. Here's the weather forecast for Tyler, where "our" Dave and Trish live: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Tyler&state=TX&site=SHV&textField1=32.3284&textField2=-95.3036&e=0

Notice how little the storm moves between Tuesday and Friday on the map... It's still close enough to the Gulf that it will be drawing in new moisture. You all be careful!!!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Morning! Woke at 5am to check weather on tv and checked outside. It was windy and took 6 (mom's, two sisters's and mine) dogs out for their business before storm come. Feel drizzing rain a bit. Windy are here. I slept well. I will take nap later today under storm! :o)

My bro and bro in law still stay in New Iberia,LA.

I01 have my text #, she will let you know what s going on over there if power goes out.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Right now, windy are pick up more speed and raining.. we are preparing for power to go out..

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hang on Sloopy!

You are still up in Red Stick aren't you?

The Weather Idiots are on The Weather Channel now...
You know the 'Look at me standing on a beach in a Hurricane' people.
It was funny to watch a guy getting blown across a Parking Lot in Gulfport...
In the background Gulls are just quietly going about their business...
sailing along in the wind.... snatching up tidbits......

New Orleans is 95% evac'd
FL is now out of the mix... TS Storm warnings only now.
Oil prices are falling fast.

Those of you in TX and Western LA GOOD LUCK!

Ric

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Here on the TX/LA line all is well, no rain or winds yet last I checked they are on the other side of Lake Charles. Might still lose power but I wouldn't think it would be a large area or for more than a day tops. Flooding is still possible because as others have posted it seems Gustav wants to take his own sweet time.

I expect most of my neighbors will be home by afternoon in the morning at the latest, but right now all of them are calling to see how the weather is. *G* I have a LOT of neighbors....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
It's hitting right now.

NOAA

...CENTER OF GUSTAV MAKES LANDFALL NEAR COCODRIE LOUISIANA...

NO looks to have weathered it well!
It should start loosing steam fast now.
Good for wind damage.... bad for flooding inland... SSLLOOWW Moving

Be Safe!
Ric

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

it's windy and gusty here... we still have the power... my bro and bro in law lives in New Iberia, they lost the power. My Bro in law have genator.. built in house.. lucky..

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

*gasp* ... I absolutely, 100%, no doubt, hope that stupid pesky thing gets in & out of South LA without significant damage..

Haven't heard from my Baton Rouge friends in a few days.... Hope all is well.

There's a good news story about the better preparedness of gov't. officials in this article, which also cites the current state of the levees:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0902/p25s06-usgn.html

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Currently it's a Cat 1 and just west of Schnuz in Baton Rouge.

Failing fast... Hannah is a Cat 1 now.... TS 9 may be named tonight.......

Yikes!

Ric

TS 9 looks bad already... it has been named "Ike". The Tropical Wave off Cape Verde looks huge at the moment...

Rain from Gustav still looks bad.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

We've sailed through this, so we must have had luck on our side. I've had worse weather on a normal day...last week comes to mind. We've had a lazy day with sprinkles and light wind so we've been watching VH1 and being bums. Wind is picking up a bit now but nothing major, the DH is wishing for ice cream so I think he's going to go wander around town to find a gas station open.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It looks as if Hurricane Gustav is toast.
Noaa is expecting it to be a TS by morning!

EXCELLENT Job everyone!
Good info and Good Advice!
It appears the Powers that be have their act together...
At least where LA, MS and TX are involved.
I guess we'll soon see how FL is doing!

Let's hope Schnuz is Baton'd down High and Dry!

Ric

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

This just came from accuweather.com. If anyone is going out to work Please be careful. My Friend has to drive over the Fred Hartman Bridge early in the morning. I told her to be careful. On the overpasses and bridges it will be felt.

AS GUSTAV APPROACHES EAST TEXAS...WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 25 TO 30
MPH ACROSS TRINITY...POLK...SAN JACINTO...LIBERTY...AND CHAMBERS
COUNTIES LATER TONIGHT. GUSTS TO 40 MPH ARE POSSIBLE IN RAIN
BANDS.
TXZ164-178-179-200-214-021200-
/O.NEW.KHGX.WI.Y.0013.080901T2332Z-080902T1200Z/
CHAMBERS-LIBERTY-POLK-SAN JACINTO-TRINITY-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANAHUAC...CLEVELAND...COLDSPRING...
CORRIGAN...DAYTON...GROVETON...LIBERTY...LIVINGSTON...
MONT BELVIEU...ONALASKA...SHEPHERD...TRINITY...WINNIE
632 PM CDT MON SEP 1 2008
...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A
WIND ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT TUESDAY.

NORTHWEST WINDS OF 25 TO 30 MPH WILL DEVELOP LATER THIS EVENING
AND PERSIST INTO TUESDAY MORNING AS GUSTAV APPROACHES FROM
LOUISIANA. WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE IN RAIN BANDS.

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT SUSTAINED WINDS OF 25 MPH ARE
EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT...
ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION.

I've been keeping up with Tricia. Just heard from her a bit ago ... PTL her place in New Iberia,LA, is okay. :) Her brother has been in touch with her. :) She says they're doing fine. It was pretty bad for them earlier. Thank goodness she evacuated 65 miles up to Baton Rouge. Glad her home is safe!

Hugs and prayers to everyone else. Whew ... breathing easier now!
~Susan

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 9:32 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

THANKS Susan!
GREAT News!

A Wind Advisory for TX is FAR better than what you all were fearing.

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm a mile N of I-10 right at the MS/AL border. I had a 45 min power outage about 5am. Breezy with moderate gusts and intermittent mostly light rain all day. All the coastal counties in MS are under a dusk to dawn curfew. There were tornado warnings and lots of tree debris. There are a few roads closed from storm surge. Many streets had short term flooding. A few houses got water. Large numbers of people evacuated. I have 21 vehicles parked in my high and dry yard for safe keeping. My daughter lives in Biloxi and never lost power but did lose cable for about 2 hours this afternoon.

All is well, I think. I've spoken to a few people on the phone and the mood is joyful. It has been a
very tense several days and it feels good to get past it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Praise God, twiggybuds! I'm so glad everyone is doing so well. :-)

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

As a friend in Plaquemine, LA described it...

"Measured 100mph wind at the house on the back porch... there's a pine tree wider than both our arms around down in the back yard... power's out... it's still raining.. and yet the salvia's blooming in the front yard like nothing is even going on."

Got to love the Cajun optimism.
=)

Have been in touch with Tricia today. She still isn't home yet but is hoping to return tmr . They don't have power currently but states they are comfy... says tempts are cool..

Twigs ... glad to see you reporting in.

Hope everyone else is okay.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Hello!!!! Here I am at my friend house in Broussard,LA. The boys are back home with me. My ex brought them back to me. Miss my boys. I got news that my home is fine and no damage even have power!!!! I am going back home tomorrow morning, only 20 miles. When I arrived in this town, not much damage... but East Baton Rouge got hit worst where I stayed at sister house. I wish I have stayed here instead go over there. But I enjoyed spending the time with my two sisters and my Mom. We had a good time and spent together.
Susan. Thank you so much for keep in touch with me in this hurricane Gustav! I am much relieved now.
My sister in BR have no power. Hope she will have power soon! Lots of trees down. Remind me of Hurricane Rita and Andrew.

I am so tired and ready to hit the bed. Night.

Tricia ... you're welcome. I'm sooo relieved for you. We need to stay in touch. :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Tricia GREAT news and GREAT to see you're going home!

JanetOS is back home in Ocean Springs, MS.

Katrina took out about everything in her neighborhood .... but her house......
and the storm surge took out her yard......

NO damage this time!!!!

Back at work.... she says HI!

Ric

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for maintaining the posts, Ric. I'm following and holding my breath with everyone else. That's a lot of damage Gustav did. and the flooding continues.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

The moisture from Gustav arrived here this evening with over an inch of rain. It has been very dry here for the last 3 weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.