my first ever spuds!!!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I am SO proud. Not a whole lot but enough to make some home fries!!!

Thumbnail by noobiegardener
San Bruno, CA

Thats so cool! I just planted potatoes for the first time. Was that from one plant? What variety? Congradulations!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I forget the variety and that was from two small plants. Yukon gold, maybe?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

good job, noobie!
Potatos have been pretty reliable for me. They seeem like less work than some other things you can grow.
By the way- you have some birthday wishes waiting for you in Mid Atlantic Forum...

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Way to go, noobie! Much better than mine, for sure! I'll plant them again in January like I was supposed to to begin with instead of June. (Bad gardener. Bad, bad gardener.)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sis - pretty soon the supermarkets will be ringing your door bell to buy veggies from you.

great job.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Brigid not bad gardener, Brigid good gardener!!!

I am getting ready to plant some fall crops...spuds will be one of them. Apparently you can plant them and they will be OK as long as the temps don't fall below 20 degrees....which won't happen here until well into December or even January.

I was cleaning the garden out a little today in preparation for some spinach, lettuce and some spuds.

Big Brother....thanks for the compliments. One day I will own that farm and will be selling my crops. But--and you can quote me on this-- my DG friends will always get a discount!!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, noobie. But I do tend to be impatient, both in planting too early (or late, depending on your point of view) and in harvesting as soon as I see something! Doesn't a garden teach you patience!!!

I cut up a few potatoes and tucked them into a raised bed yesterday. Hopefully they'll grow unless we have an uncommonly early winter. It usually doesn't get cold down here until December.

Charlotte, VT

Great job! For the last two years I have been having problems with the potato sap leafhopper. Try saying that one fast repeatedly. Despite continually spraying the vines, they eventually succumbed. At first I didn't realize that the bugs were there until I put my glasses on because they are so tiny. Anyhow I'm giving up on specialty potatoes for next year. From now on I'm sticking with varieties resistant to the small but mighty sap leafhopper.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

thanks, Realv. Sorry to hear about your mishap with the taters. I am going to try growing some more soon....I hear they do well in the cold.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

you would even charge "family members"???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.