CHICKEN CHAT # 4 - For all the Chicken Heads

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/891100/

These are the Black Sumatrans....Just Looky at that Roos tail!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

I just got a reply from the guy with the Sumatrans...He is asking $75 for 2 hens and an unrelated Roo and he says they are fully adult...I haven't replied yet, but I am going to see if he will hold them, and let me send him payments...$20 a week, I can spare if I don't buy breakfast at the VA...I would do that for these magnificently beautiful birds...

I have to admit, I waged war with the Chicken Fairy, and she has won...
I found some old fence wire up in the garage loft, and a roll of chicken wire.. I will ask Farmer D if I may have it...It won't be very large, but at least they will be able to get outside...I have a small low crib from the barn for feed and I will have to get a waterer to hang inside the brooder...unless I can scrape one up around here...I love Sundays cause Farmer D is never here except early and very late to feed the goats...There is plenty of loose straw I can collect to put down on the floor, and there is already sand in there in 2 very large piles in the back of the brooder...I think I can scrape up some wood to make a roost if I look around here...If not, Taynors has some 2x4's, and Hubby has a table saw and a circular one...soooooooo, we can make one...
and I have buckets full of nails, staples and screws...LOL

I sure hope they don't need a nest right away 'cause I don't think we have any wood to make one just yet...

Chicken Fairy....I just want you to know, the ONLY reason you are winning this battle is because these birdies are adults, and will be able to winter okay...If they were babies, I would have won the battle!! I just would not want to take a chance on it being too cold for them until I can afford to get a proper heater in there for them...I have seen this Farm in February, and it ain't a purty sight when Ice is hanging all over everything and a foot of snow (gulp... did I say that word?) on top of all of it...I would just die if anything happened to them...

Oh yeah .. I forgot to say I asked if they were vaccinated for Mareks, and yes..they are...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow Dusty, those are beautiful birds. You must be so excited! The chicken fairy is being SO generous with us all these days!

Well I haven't got them yet Claire...I haven't heard back from him yet...but you can see why I love them...Those Roos are to die for!!!

Dusty let me know when you go to get them !!
Hmm i should show you my wood pile , you might get some ideas ! ? on the nest box or we could use free pallets from TSW ? to make nest boxes .
I think Dusty and i need to do a chicken run LOLOL get it chicken run . I crwack myself up. aahhh
I got some left over tin roof too or we can just take my GH and make a chicken tractor . I made one like Melissa's . I was going to use it for chickens also .

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well with you two being in Ohio, you should all car pool with Josh to get to Jacob's Cave.

Hmmm Road Trip !!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here's my latest thread of new pics of Red Rosie, plus a recent story about Rosie and a pigeon....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/898023/

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh, taynors and Dusty, CF has got you!

londonderry, Australia

cool

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

we made our nest box out of pallets. I would take a pic of it but they like to roost on it and it is nasty.

Mom was here yesterday taking pics of my birds. She just loves Harry.

Thumbnail by luvs2garden2000

This is the hen that is laying eggs. The other 4 still not laying.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I can see why - he's a looker!

Here is the turkeys, tyson

LOL Tyson ? is it what i m thinking or is it just a name ?
great pics ! they are wonderful looking birds and gobbler

My SIL who won the turkey wrestling contest last week, got to name him. He is Tyson and the female is Tessla

Ok i have to ask ? turkey wrestling ?
I guess i was thinking Tyson as in the poultry producer in the grocery LOL i like the name Tessla :) they sound good together.

When we got the turkeys we didnt have a pen for them so put them in the brooder that barley gave them room to move in then got the pen built and Aaron had to climb into the brooder and wrestle Tyson to get him out. OMG the fight was on and it was tyson winning for the most part. The we got a towel and put over tysons head and won the battle. It was so funny I laughed till I peed my self.

LOL oh ok i get it LOL
that would be a great Utube video LOL
I bet you pee'd
i almost did with yor story lol
wiping tears LOL
sue

Good Morning all....I was up at 0330 watching the Moxon Hatch but was laughing so hard I couldn't type, so I went to bed....ROFLLL

Tia.. your birds are beautiful!! I Love that Roo too!!

I still haven't heard back from the guy with the Sumatras as to whether he will hold them and take payments or not...That's the only way I could possibly do it at this point, after all I had to pay out this past week...

Sue, are you coming toward town today? If you are, let me know...

I still laugh about it. Aaron does to now. It wasnt to funny while it was him and tyson locked up in a brooder that is about 3 ft tall.

Good grief Tia!! I would have needed a case of Depends for that one... ROFLLLL

My Youngest sons name is Aaron too!!

This kid is just a dream come true around here, he has helped so much. He does most of the handyman stuff around here. My hubby leaves at sun up and gets home well after dark and works most of the weekends also. He was off yesterday but we had the Bday party
My youngest daughter(Dylan's mom), Dylan(GS), Sydney(niece),Kindall (GD)

Daughter, GS and my mom

daughter, GS and number 2 daughter

my oldest daughter and of course the GS

GS and # 3 daughter

back to front, my sister, my hubby, my niece, granddaughter and grandson

Beautiful Family Tia...Looks like you all had a great party!!

Yes we had a great time. Thanks.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

looks like great fun..

Puuuurdy family Luvs2 :)
what a great time you all had.

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, Dusty
If you get those birds we are going to have to work out a trade for some hatching eggs. I have always wanted those birds. I have Turkins/naked necks. Now remember and this goes for you Sue also. The southern Ohio poultry association meet is coming up. Save some pennies. They have just about any type of poultry you could want. Plus it's a huge flea market also. The fall meet is my favorite. Cool weather and cheaper prices. People don't want to over winter their birds. It's in Lucasville, Ohio. Oct. 11 and 12th. Here's the link.
http://www.sciotocountyohio.com/banners/poultry06.htm
I may have showed you my new girl, but here's the new peahen. A black shoulders
Anastasia(all my peafowl are named after the Russian royal family. I am a big Russian history buff)

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!
my hens are laying again! i had given up hope, but they are now laying

very pretty bird daylily.

That is awesome Kathy.

Love the name Geo . My fav name. Love the movie too ( kids movie from disney LOL )
i m saving my pennys for the fall SOPF. ( southern ohio poultry fest ) i m soooo there. HMM might need a bigger truck ? oh yeah i got a trailer !!! too we can use Geo LOL
yeah jordon your birds are laying again . Just in time for baking season :)

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Two of my girls have been laying for a couple of weeks now. And over the weekend my DD cracked one open and it was a double yoker! I was so excited! I ran around trying to find my camera which I couldn't find so I took a pic w/ DH's cellphone. My DD just thought I was nuts. Wish I was tech saavy enough to transfer the pic to here!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

you are nuts dear! congrats!!!

glad Claire had sucha a great hatch, sorry i qwas unavailable while tgracking CF. also my oldest has been real sick. gone to ER. now off to follow up with DR.

tf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.