Tall bearded Iris question

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm just discovering the beauty of iris's. I seemed to be drawn to the iris's with the biggest bloom. Only the Tall Bearded.

Do any of you know of iris with big blooms? Only on the Tall Bearded.

Also I'm preparing for ordering next spring and would like a tall iris for the back of a boarder. The tallest blue. It could be any shade of blue.

Thanks DM

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

If you wait until next season, there are dozens of people on this forum who
could donate some for postage. I have light and dark blues to dig next July.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I am also new to irises - do you cut off all the leaves after the blooms are finished? I bought a home with lots of irises in the garden and just love them.

South Hamilton, MA

Don't cut the leaves unless they are showing browning or other problems. They will help make food for the next yr.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Aug 31, 2008 12:57 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

A few that I know of that are usually suggested as being known for big flowers are:

Banana Frappe
Lacy Snowflake
Supreme Sultan
Hello Darkness

I know I've seen a couple of site that actually have the big ones listed in a separate section--just have to go look and see which sites they were:lol: Apparently I've been looking at quite a few;)

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

Over Alaska is probably the largest flowered iris I grow. Too large maybe, as the wind sometimes plays havoc with it.

Thumbnail by KSBaptisia
Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Over Alaska is so beautiful! How tall does yours tend to get?

Supreme Sultan is an eye catcher for me.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Still browsing around...

Colossal is said to have a 7 inch flower--plant is listed as 32" tall--blue.

Found a few blue to blacks with heights listed at Bluebird Haven (just randomly picked a seller)

After Dark 44"
Black Hills 42"
Blenheim Royal 38"
Blue Gown 38"
Blue Luster 38"
Blue Sapphire 40"
Cahokia 42"
Diplomat 40"

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Over Alaska is so beautiful! How tall does yours tend to get?

It gets reasonably tall, around 36 to 38 inches.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Be careful what you ask for. The tallest bearded irises with the largest flowers are also the most likely to require staking to prevent the stalks from falling over during bloom. If you don't mind staking, then the largest flowers can make quite a statement in the garden.

Laurie

Raleigh, NC

Sky Search. it's blooms were coming up to my chest last year. medium to baby blue. white beard, blooms were huge.

South Hamilton, MA

A schreiners iris "Blue suade shoes' is a tall blue. It has a stem quite thick at the base & is not liable to fall over. I'm afraid that we don't have it any more, but I'm sure that someone does.

(Judi)Portland, OR

The photo of over alaska is amazing - how beautiful!

Raleigh, NC

when I visited Keppel's place, Gypsy Lord was quite large. Supreme Sultan is that large. But it's really too late for you to plant this year isn't it? they need to be in the ground 30 days before first frost.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I haven't grown it, but Dusky He-Man was huge at the Oklahoma convention. I think that may be the reason for the name. It is very pretty, too.

South Hamilton, MA

It's purple--I think the first request was for blue--don't know if that has been recinded.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well if Dusky He-Man is too purple for you try Blue Temptation which was also lovely at the Austin Convention. Much as I like it, it isn't quite the color shown in this picture which is bluer than it is. Both cultivars are beautiful.

Libby, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks for all the good choices everyone has mentioned. I love this website, everyone is so helpful and enthusiastic !!!

Now I will write all the names down and look them up.

Raleigh, NC

Blue temptation is on my list of must-haves from my Schreiners tour

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

you might also try:

BREAKERS
SHIP SHAPE
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

(Judi)Portland, OR

I also love this web site - I am so inspired to plant more varieties of irises.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Watch out Portland, or you will become addicted like the rest of us. Sigh -- actually not a fate worse than death.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

The enablers here are really nice people too;)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, we are!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, they are. Watch out Portland, you'll be removing all your lawn for irises soon.

Welcome to Daves Garden!

Lebanon, OR

Now Polly is that fair? LOL at one time I just had my old garden now 3 acres to iris and daylilies, you might give her the wrong impression of us nuts oops, iris lovers here LOL

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I think she's already got our number, Dee.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

We love to share, can never have too many iris addicts.

Was never going to grow from seed, tried it, loved it, wasn't going to have anything but TB heirlooms, then I was offered some "newer" iris, made room, then fell in love with McEwen sibs and tried to get everyone, then discovered Japanese, had to have some they are awesome.

Definately did not want any LA's, but got Black Gamecock in a trade as an extra, saw it bloom and bloom and bloom, now want any that will survive in zone 5a. Did I mention spurias, and all the other beardless, that extend the bloom season so beautifully.

I have dug up more grass and planted to iris this year more than I did in 40 years of combined gardening. In 2 to 3 years my display should be fabulous. I plan on keeping this obsession manageable so will have to continue sharing just to keep it under control. Do we sound like a bunch of enablers?

Raleigh, NC

who wants to grow grass anyway. I'm allergic to it, so I advocate spreading this obsession.....

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Besides, irises are more drought tolerant than lawns. I know -- we hardly had any rain during August. The grass is brown but the iris fans are still green! So, planting iris is a wonderful way to conserve water!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Go green, plant more iris!

Eddyville, KY

Not familiar with growing conditions there in zone 4 but here in zone 6, bearded or German iris are planted in early fall --
about now -- as you can observe from advertisers at this site. There are many many blues to choose from. Am sure you'll
find one or several you like. Suggest you inquire locally. Good luck.

South Hamilton, MA

Zone 6a--we like to plant nr the end of July. However this yr we have run into late aug + the last Blyth medians escaped from their pots today. They will be watched for heaving. They arrive in april--their shipping season--any the bare rooted plants got prioity. We do get slower as we get older.

Raleigh, NC

LOL irisMA, wish I had known some iris growers when I lived outside the MBTA circle!

everyone I've ever talked to say get the irises in the ground as soon as possible after they come out, but no later than 30 days before the average first frost. Here, that's Oct15th, so by Sept 15th is our target date. a few folks I've seen, say you really should have them in the ground again 60 days before average first frost, and whenever I've done that, the irises do better.

South Hamilton, MA

All the incoming plants are now in the ground--have some seedlings which I would like to move so others can be lined out. Last yrs Sept plants had large rocks placed on the rhizomes to protect against heaving, they were fine.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Well I already took out my grass and when I was at the nursery today I saw bins and bins of bulbs. I have never planted bulbs so this is new for me. Guess what kind I bought!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Irises? Just a guess.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

grass? Clue me in.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Dig
Iris are super plants! S. Sultan has a nice large bloom. Also my Dusky Challenger is big and beautiful. I am adding about 30 new ones this Fall.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/34789/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/36708/

Teresa in KY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.