transferring vermiposting indoors

Chicago, IL

Hi -

Appreciate being directed here! Quick question for those with indoor vermiposting:

I bought some red wigglers for an outside bin and they are doing very well - it was going to be regular composting, but then I decided to try the worms. The outdoor bin has been a large trash can with holes, lots of shredded leaves, and kitchen scraps - not smelly at all, and seems to work nicely since all the stuff I put in is disappearing! Since I live in Chicago, I'd like to make an indoor Rubbermaid-type worm bin and keep this going over the winter.

I thought I could use some of my outdoor bin material to start my indoor bin, along with extra shredded newspaper, since it clearly has established decomposing micro-organisms and so forth. But just as moving outdoor plants inside at the end of the summer can cause issues with pests, I was wondering if anyone has run into trouble by transferring outdoor worms inside e.g. fly infestations, etc.? It is not a 'hot' composting bin so nothing is getting killed...on the other hand, we've been really good about burying everything under a top layer of leaves so I haven't noticed any swarms of anything when I open the lid.

Any comments from someone with prior experience would be great since I am new at this. Thanks!

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

scubadoobie,

You shouldn't have a problem if you cover your scraps in the indoor worm bin. Adding the decomposing stuff from an outside worm bin is a good way to jump start it. Also, put some food scraps in your new bin about a week ahead of time to allow it to start to mold so the worms will have something to eat when they go inside.

Maggie

Chicago, IL

Thanks so much! I've got a bunch of shredded newspaper ready to go. I also read that freezing some scraps will help to get rid of any fruit fly eggs, so will try that before letting them "pre-decompose" as I set up my li'l chateau. :)

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

That sounds perfect. Have fun!

Maggie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.