Plant care for Massonia depressa

Gisborne, New Zealand

I know it's a bulb and I know it only has two leaves and a bottle brush flower. I never heard of it before I bought it and therew was no mention of this extra growth in the centre. It is quite fascinating though. What can you tell me about this most unusual plant? watering, feedding etc. Also how long from the now stage to the flower stage.....

Thumbnail by Awchid
Gisborne, New Zealand

And yesterday

Thumbnail by Awchid
Townsville, Australia

Love it.!! I have been looking for a Massoniana for a while now but never been able to find a source for them. Bob.

Townsville, Australia

Spelled Massonia wrong, but didn,t spell spelled as spelt. :~) ..

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

I'd guess seed pods. Lucky You!

Here's a neat link to some more species with some droolworthy photos! http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Massonia

Gisborne, New Zealand

Thanks KK for that link, I am going to have to wait until next year for a flower. Thats okay as it is a very interesting plant. I may also have a go at the seeds when they are ready, which looks to be a long time off yet. You guessed right.:-)

Gisborne, New Zealand

I may not have seen the flower but this seed case is as good as a flower. I has now turned yellow but I think it is going to start breaking down soon as it is looking rather fragile. I thought you may be interested SpeciesNut.

Thumbnail by Awchid
Townsville, Australia

I just found some seed of Massonia echinata on ebay . Not sure if they will grow here in the tropics but I,m sure going to try them.. Bob.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Gisborne, New Zealand

Hi Bob, this is qiute an amazing little plant, quite fascinating as well. that yellow seed case has dried out now and is like a paper flower, it also has a large quantity of little black seeds. I would have loved to send you some but couldn't afford the fine I would get from your govt and mine. I am going to have a go at growing some though. They will probably take some time from seed to bulb.. I will post a photo of the seed case if you like. When you are ready to plant your seeds let me know and I will plant some at the same time and we will see how we go. Could be interesting. They should do very well in the tropics, I got the plant from a large cactus nursery so the conditions would be very hot and dry and it is winter flowering. I'm not sure what the plant is going to do now that it has lost it's seed head but I will keep you informed of anything that happens . For warned is for armed. :-)
Lesley.

Gisborne, New Zealand

The paper case is very crisp like parchment and looked good until the wind blew it and it fell off.

Thumbnail by Awchid

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.