Should I be alarmed ...

Clarksville, MD

to find slugs in my compost bin? I'm new to composting, started this bin last August. I've had no oder issues. I aerate the bin when I remember ... about once or twice a month. This evening I went to dump more stuff in it and there was a slug at the top of the pile about 5 inches long ... ICK. It has rained for the past two days ... please tell me this is normal ...

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

It's probably nothing to worry about. I left the top of my bin off to catch some rain yesterday, and when I went to close it late last night I found about ten fat slugs climbing into it. I left the top off and let them dine undisturbed.

The way I figure it, they're helping to break down the stuff in the bin. Not to mention the fact that slugs that have gorged themselves on paper shreds, cardboard, grass clippings, and coffee grounds aren't going to wreck my strawberries. If I'm really lucky, the bin will really heat up today, because I aerated it yesterday before the rain got here.

Cooked slugs, anyone? ;)

Clarksville, MD

Yick : )

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Mmmmm...pre-shelled Escargot ^_^

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Last night I tossed on a layer of composted chicken manure to jump start the microherd. Slugs, flies, and worms ... oh my!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Slugs are natures decomposers. Better to have them in your compost bin than in your veggie patch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.