Cannas advice for next year appreciated

Crestview, FL

This past year I had problems with leaf rollers and treated them with systemic; I thought possibly I'd get the jump this next year on any bugs attacking my beautiful cannas right from the jump start. Now, I've heard of systemic, Murphys soap, BT or Neem oil. The thing with systemic, is after you use it, you have to cut the plant down before you use it, and then treat it with the systemic, that gets inside the plant and the worms die when they eat your plant. So; I thought I'd treat all cannas with it just before winter and cut them back and hopefully, the leaf rollers won't appear next year. But here is the thing, when next year gets here and they start blooming, I don't want to continue the systemic because I hate cutting the pretty cannas back; so, what could I use, how much and how often, as a preventive care maintenance thing that will prevent them altogether next year?
joy112854

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Joy, you could really get 20 different answers, something different works for everyone. First time I ever treated for the leaf rollers I searched on here and decided Sevin was the thing to use. I used a liquid Sevin on all my cannas and I haven't seen them since.

Crestview, FL

Azreno: Thanks for the advice. I love my cannas and hate it when I see their pretty leafs either curling up or looking like someone took a machine gun to it and turned the leafs into swiss cheese. I plan to be on the ball next year. I was seriously thinking about treating them again with systemic just before fall, right after I give them fertilizer, that I think might give them a jump on Spring perhaps and then when watering them use the Murphy soap and water mixture and occasionally use Neem oil and Sevin. Can't hurt or can it?
joy112854

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.