Aristolochia labiata

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello All.

This is my first bloom for this species. Thanks to the sharing kindness of another DG'er, I started this one from seed just over a year ago. Even for Aristolochia flowers, this one is odd. I'm not even sure it's open yet. It's also very large - an estimate would be ~7" across.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

It finally opened today. Wow. And it's really popular with the flies in the neighborhood!

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Wow, Erick. That's an awesome bloom. I love the colors. Congrats.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Shirley. Always nice to get your kind comments. Hope you are well.

Erick

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Erick That is Fab-U-Lus..........does it have an oder? Good or bad?

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 7:58 PM

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Awesome Erick Congrats on your success. It is beautiful

Canary Islands. Tene, Spain

Erick

that's awesome !! I love it !! do you happen to have seeds of it ? I owuld love to trade for other aristolochias I have

koko

here is another one I have, this is Clerodendrom Speciossum, also seeds available for a trade

Thumbnail by kokorota

here is another one I have, this is Dipogon lignosus, also seeds available for a trade

Thumbnail by kokorota

here is another one I have, this is Centrosema virginianum, VERY PROLIFIC !, also seeds available for a trade

Thumbnail by kokorota

I also have lots of passifloras that I will post in the passiflora forum, most of them I have seeds available for a trade

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello koko.

Unfortunately, I don't have any seeds of A. labiata. I only got one bloom this first year. I'm hoping with age the vine will be more floriferous.

Your vine pictures are stunning! Please keep posting them.

Erick

Dover, NJ

Hi Erick,

I was pretty excited when I found a bud on my seed-grown labiata, but it bloomed too early--it's definitely not labiata--it's either a hybrid or another species.

Here's the pic:

Mark

Thumbnail by LouisianaMark
Dover, NJ

On a more positive note, I found a seed pod hidden among the leaves of my gibertii. Whoo hoo!! I've been hand pollinating whenever I can, but missed the early development of this one.

Mark

Dover, NJ

Here's another one that I pollinated maybe a week ago. It looks like it's starting to swell, so I may get lucky on this one too!

Mark

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 1:10 PM

Gee Mark I love the picture you posted on October 11, it's so weird !!!!!!

would you trade some of those seeds with me when you finnaly get them ? I'd love to trade some aristolochias with you

Dover, NJ

Hi Kokorota,

I looked it up--that is an Aristolochia galeata, so I got some mislabeled seed. That one did not make any seeds--it was a lone flower. I did pollinate it with some ridicula pollen, but no luck.

I am hoping that my gibertii seed pods ripen, but they may not have time, as we are starting to get some fall weather. Do you know how long the seeds take to ripen? Here's a pic of the second seed pod.

Mark

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Mark, I don't remember how long it takes for that varitey and they are different. I know my Calico Flower takes a bit longer than the White Veined pipe vine. I just wait until the seed pod is brown and some what crisp and then pull it and put it where it is dry for a few days and then husk it out.
This is a photo of the White Veined pipevine flower and it has several pods on it. I will get some photos tomorrow and post since it is dark out now. They are already several weeks old and I noticed one today that is just starting to swell as a matter of face it is from this flower, so it will be intresting to find out just how long it does take to ripen.
Keep a check on the seed pod ever few days until you get a feel of how it is going. If you get any seed and would like to do some trades let me know and maybe I will have something you would want.
If not thats OK..........hope this helps :o)

Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

Each aristolochia takes different times to rippen
for example: my litorallis takes about a month to rippen in my climate, my gigantea on the other side takes nearly 2 to 3 months to rippen and sometimes even more, so I couldnt tell you how long your it's gonna take but I will be much interested in it

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello Mark.

My apologies for the delayed response. With low temps in the mid-30's here now, I've been busy moving plants indoors. It's always nice to get your comments and see your pics.

Regarding your first pic...although it doesn't seem to be labiata (from what I know, anyways), it is gorgeous! I love the colors and the drama. Put that one on a future trade list, please!

Congrats on your gilbertii seed pods! I have a small gilbertii plant that's about a year old now. I'm looking forward to seeing the flower next year.

Responding to the posts in order...ok, cool, A. galeata. Congrats again! A nice one for sure.

One of the big thrills for me this season was my first seed-grown A. raja flowers. Absolutely charming, they seem to float in air on their long peduncles. I was thrilled to get at least 200 flowers from my plant in a 12" pot.

Regards,

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Well finally I got out to take a photo of the seed pods. Not real sure how old the pods are, the weather has cooled abit and we have had some rain the past days off and on. It seems to be taking them longer to mature now than it does in the summer. Maybe I am just anxious....LOL
:o)

Thumbnail by WillowWasp

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.