nervous about orders

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

ok i was just reading the thread about patents . someone listed the places they found the best . i placed 3 orders . mainly because they had the ones i wanted . one was daylily haven iris farm and the others were woodland iris gardens and horton iris garden . i did read gw and there were a few neg . but there wernt any that were to recent . and there were so few to make any judgement so i placed the orders . can anyone ease my anxiety . ive never ordered iris before and any comments on blue j iris farm also . because theres about 40 more i want and they happen to have them all . there wernt so many recent comments for them in gw either

these are the ones i got : coalignition, whispering, flamenco whirl , apache rose , ima kinda lima, shadow warrier, gnews flash,hobo heaven,capricious candles,can can dancer,mystic dragon, bingo bango bongo (my sons name is bango . me and my x dh played a game at our job when i was preg called bingo bango bongo . thats where he got his name ) thornbird, alien mist, desert passion , twilight blaze . any opinions on those .

Baton Rouge, LA

Daylily Haven has sometimes had problems with mislabeling, but that's not something the owner is doing on purpose. I know this year she wrote and said she was transferring a lot of her stock to another grower in August because she was getting too old to maintain the fields well. One of the ones she sent to me was labeled with a name that I had not ordered, and several I did order were missing. When I wrote to her about it, she told me she had mislabeled it and that the rhizome was actually one of the missing ones from my order. Sooo... I really have no idea what it is at this point! I will continue to order from Daylily Haven mainly because they are one of the few if only growers that has some of the cultivars I wanted. They're also the only grower I could find online in a very southern area (they're in Mississippi), so I felt like whatever is growing there had a fighting chance to grow at my home too.

Both Woodland and Blue J have very good reps over at Gardenweb. There's actually an active thread about how much people like Blue J in the Iris forum over there right now. I would feel confident with your orders from them.

ok good . i just looked at garden watchdog again and saw another positive for woodland. and i saw part of that thread at garden web by accident . thats what made me check them out . i saw them a while ago but forgot . and i have my order ready for jan 1 . im starting 3 new iris beds . 1 on either side of my walk way and next to the driveway . i figure ill need about 100 . it will be magnificent . i have 3 20' long beds but they are about 2 or 3 ft wide in the back. they are all noid and trades ive acquired .

Dauphin, PA

I'm a grower and I'm very happy with Woodland. (I have not used the others you mentioned.) Remember when you read the postings, negative or positive, you're getting one person's opinion. I sent out a lot of orders this year and had one woman email and insist on a refund because she thought the rhizomes 'looked wrong'. It was difficult to get her to verbalize what 'wrong' meant, but I did find out through our correspondence that she had never grown iris before, and had never actually seen a rhizome. So one of her issues, it turned out, was that the leaves of the plant had been cut; she thought this was just terrible. And as you know, that's a standard practice to reduce respiration and stress on the dormant plant. She thought, and I quote, that her plants had been 'mutilated.' (Never mind that my website, and many other growers', has photos of trimmed rhizomes ready for shipping. ) Now, she's not a Dave's Garden member, but you see how someone who is misinformed could end up posting something negative.

I sent her a refund, but I won't accept orders from her again, either. Sometimes you just can't win. Ironically, I photographed most of the orders I sent this year, spread out on a table before I wrapped them, just for insurance against something like this, but it wasn't much help with someone who thought I should be sending 24" foliage!

katie

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's a picture I posted before of the irises I got from Blue J.

All the irises I ordered in 2006, and a lot of the ones I ordered 2007 have bloomed already and were true to name. I highly recommend them.

They are not taking orders anymore this year, BTW.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2615675

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Katie, this reminds me that I don't think I posted feedback on my order yet. Must go to GW and do so right away! You sent me "Color Me Blue" and they've got lots of beautiful new growth on them. They arrived very healthy -- particularly for "mutilated" plants. LOL!

well im exited because she called me(i for got her name- woodland)and she had everything i ordered . she was very nice and pulled my order before she even got the check . i emailed her before to make sure they had some that i REALY wanted . so far so good

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

All are very good with orders. Some nurseries had a late bloom season so shipping is a bit late too, I am still waiting for an order from Riverview. My order from Daylily Iris Haven came with all in tact. Blue J Iris came in tact with the excepting of one package breaking away from the other, but she sent another batch. Woodland came perfect!!!!!

Williamsville, IL

This year I ordered from Woodland-and was very fast and very nice rhizomes,but i think they are done with orders -was Sept 1,and have ordered from Riverview, & Blue jay- Ive been happy with all three.

Raleigh, NC

I finally had enough $$ to make iris orders and cannot wait! My Schreiners order came yesterday, and they all have babies forming already. So nice large healthy plants. irisloverdee let me sneak in one last late order, but she's done with the bearded for the season. Ghio and Mid America on their way. If any of y'all ever ordr from Mid-America, they are just the sweetest fellas, and they only send top product. they should come this week.

Cannot wait for next spring.

well im happy with woodland so far . my order came with 4 bonus iris , one was a new into shock and awe. there were no subs and they were the hugest rizomes ever . i got hobo heaven and it was a clump! and most had babies starting !very happy and my check hasnt even been cashed yet !
so i got hobo heaven , whispering , shadow warrier , ima kinda lima, mystic dragon ,can can dancer , caprecious candles , rasperry silk, and apache rose. the bonus were black andromeda , circus top, count the kisses and shock and awe .
does any one have any of these and can tell me about them ?

Raleigh, NC

Mid America and Snowpeak orders have arrived and just blew me away - snowpeak sent huge # of bonuses of same or similar plants. Mid America sent mammoth plants, almost double in value of $$ I sent. I'm so incredibly pleased. Cant wait for spring!

i just got my order from horton iris garden . it is the best so far ! great prices . and half of them were clumps ! at least 2 fans with babies ! i got bingo bango bongo , thorn bird, alien mist, desert passion, and twilight blaze .

Raleigh, NC

you found twilight blaze? been looking for that.

heres the link
http://hortonirisgarden.com/GroupT-U.html
towards the bottom . i think they are still taking orders

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.