Ginkgo biloba 'Elmwood Upright'

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Just sharing one I haven't posted before. Didn't look like it was going to survive last year but has just put on 2 feet of new growth. Late but....

Sorry the pic is so large...no sure what happened....

This message was edited Aug 29, 2008 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

maybe this is better....

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Danville, IN

Very fascinating cultivar. How many different ginkos do you have by now?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I think I'm up to 25 now. I can't stop. It's amazing to see all the nuances...

Danville, IN

The leaf on 'Elmwood Upright' is interesting too. Who do you recommend as a source for unusual cultivars?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Very nice, dybbuk. And to the right in the pic is?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

To the right is Larix kaempferi 'Jacobsen's Pyramid'.

HoosierGreen, as far as sources, my favorite right now is Bethlehem Nursery. He seems to be on the pulse of new and unusual. His stock is often limited so sometimes there's a wait...but worth it. Other than that, I just get 'em anywhere an oddball pops up.

Danville, IN

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Rocky Hill, CT

Hi, does Bethlehem Nursery have a website? They aren't listed in the Garden Watchdog. Thanks.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's a link....

http://www.bethlehemnursery.com/

A lot of his stuff isn't listed on his site so he usually sends me an availability list. Just ask him for one....

This message was edited Sep 3, 2008 10:27 AM

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Todd, what is to the left of 'Elmwood Upright' in the first picture?

Elizabeth

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Elizabeth, to the left is Pinus densiflora 'Cesarni's Variegated'. It's almost all white. Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by dybbuk

Wow! I had just assumed it was an extra nice P. dens. 'Oculus Draconis'. Boy, was I wrong! Quite impressive.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

It is GORGEOUS!!!! I'm definitely going to add that to my "wanted" list.

Off topic, I spent the past week out in the Black Hills in South Dakota last week, just got back today. THAT was a special treat, it is just gorgeous out there. So many conifers...

Elizabeth

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Did you take any pics Elizabeth?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Yup, tons of them, hubby has them on his camera. I'll share them as soon as he uploads them and sends them to me.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Source for the Pinus densiflora 'Cesarni's Variegated'?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I got it from Stanley and Sons....

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks but Arrrrrrrg! Wholesale only, as you know. I'll try to see if my landscaper/nursery guy can make a connection.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Do you have 'Burke's Red Variegated'? They are very similar. And I have seen it offered in other places.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

No I havn't and thank you for the tip. I'll do some searching.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's 'Cesarni's' vs 'Burke's Red'. From a distance they look the same, but under close inspection, 'Burke's Red' seems to have more bands of green. As you can see, the overall effect is minimal....

'Cesarni's' left, 'Burke's Red' right

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Gosh, they're beautiful. And you're correct, the differences are subtle. I appreciate the comparative photo.

Quoting:
Thanks but Arrrrrrrg! Wholesale only, as you know.

S&S allows members of the Conifer Society to buy from them. But you still need to make the minimum.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Well now, there's a perk I obviously didn't know about. Thanks Leftwood.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.