Tacca Plant Bat flower

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Hi,

Anyone have any experience of growing the Tacca plant - a native of Malaysia?

Thumbnail by ikebana67

WOW!! Does it bite?!

Keaau, HI

They love lots of water, shade, and mulch.

I only have advice on how to kill it LOL

I googled, and there's another one that has long long 'whiskers'. If I lived where I had dependable and inexpensive water, I'd get some of these for sure!

Ike, they take a lot of space? Look like the same size, but softer than, a yucca.

Thanks for posting this flower!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Tacca Nivea could translate readily into english as: crying gardener.

I have tried twice to grow those and twice, they were dead before I had time to get to like them. Result: I hate them. They are gorgeous but I don't get along with high maintenance plants. Life sends plenty of sorrow my way without purchasing and growing it.

Sylvain.

Keaau, HI

Tacca chantrieri is an understory plant of a rainforest. If you live in a hot dry area, they need to be grown in a controlled environment.
The Batflower is easily grown in a shady spot with plenty of moisture and humus rich soil. An organic mulch helps too.
They require protection from wind, dry heat, and strong sunlight, or they won't be successful.
The young leaves and flowers are good in curries!

Aloha, Dave

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Dave, thanks for the growing instructions. It tried, I failed, I tried again, I failed again. I'll try something else.

Although, come to think of it, I tend to agree that just about anything edible is good in curries.

Aloha.
Sylvain.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

AHA...didn't know they were edible!!! I am successful growing mine in the fairly deep shade of a Moreton Bay Fig and we usually get lots of rain...and they are happy as clams. Another i grow in higher light and it struggles... guess I should move it!!!!

Nice photo!!!

Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.